ABS Control Unit failure

Hi Guys,

Im just waiting for mine to go as well,found out from VDCS its a part no; 1KO 907 379 AC MK60,will this one go the same way?(probably more expencive 'cos its a MK60!!!!).

Car is a VRs TDI coming upto 40,000 miles,did first 20k in 9 months!!!!! and touch wood its ok.

Trev

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same fault here ABS/ESP I payed for this as an extra on my 06 octavia. Just been told by Skoda that they will pay 50% which is better than nowt now the only problem is that my garage tells me that there are no pumps in the UK and that they will have to back order them and god knows when it will come in. GREAT

Ours has just gone too. Its a 56 plate with 24,000 miles on the clock. The climate control failed earlier this year and took two attempts to fix. Its is still just under warranty but it does make you wonder. I've had 2 Felicias and a Fun before the Octy and I am now wondering whether its a good idea to stay with Skoda. It came from Murray Skoda in Newton Abbot.

Mine jsut failed over the weekend, only 2 days after i got it serviced. What a balls.

Just saw this on the Honest John Website. I'm in Ireland so my Warranty ran out if April this year.

Car review: Skoda Octavia II (2004 - )

Updated 21-9-2009: ESP warning light can indicate Fault Code "Boost Pressure Sensor G201". This is embedded inside Teves Mk 60 ABS systems and requires replacement of ABS control unit/pump. Seems to be age-related, occurring mainly in 3 - 5 year old cars. Does not necessarily lead to an MoT failure. If car has been VAG maintained, VAG will meet 100% of replacement cost. If not VAG will still help towards £1,500 cost of replacement.

And in this weeks Telegraph:

Seat ABS braking concern - Telegraph

and

Other Germany makes:

BMW braking alarm - Telegraph

VAG need to really say if goes going to be free or 50% or 75% and stick to it, a clear policy like Apple have with some of there computers - G5 iMac they replace all logic board once free when they went.

James.

As I've posted before, remember that your warranty is IN ADDITION to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. The SOGA requires that products be fit for purpose and 'durable'. How long something lasts is for a Small Claims Court to decide - but I would contend that a SCC would take the view that a major (non servicable) safety-related component on a car should last five years. I know that if/when my ABS unit fails I will send a :Letter Before Action, and then if no response, a SCC summons.

Consumers are too docile when it comes to issues like these.

Interesting there was a case featured in Which? a while back in which a small cotter pin (part of the clutch release mechanism) failed in a Honda Civic leaving the owner with a potentially large repair bill. The car was well out of the three year warranty, but the consumer successfully got Honda to foot the bill via a SCC action.

As I've posted before, remember that your warranty is IN ADDITION to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. The SOGA requires that products be fit for purpose and 'durable'. How long something lasts is for a Small Claims Court to decide - but I would contend that a SCC would take the view that a major (non servicable) safety-related component on a car should last five years. I know that if/when my ABS unit fails I will send a :Letter Before Action, and then if no response, a SCC summons.

Consumers are too docile when it comes to issues like these.

Interesting there was a case featured in Which? a while back in which a small cotter pin (part of the clutch release mechanism) failed in a Honda Civic leaving the owner with a potentially large repair bill. The car was well out of the three year warranty, but the consumer successfully got Honda to foot the bill via a SCC action.

Am I right in thinking with a car you have sue the dealer that sold you the car, and even though it's not there fault, if you win they get the money back? Has any one done this yet eg Small Claims Court route? Would VAG say it's a feature like the radio or parking sensors and the car is drive able without it?

James.

Am I right in thinking with a car you have sue the dealer that sold you the car, and even though it's not there fault, if you win they get the money back? Has any one done this yet eg Small Claims Court route? Would VAG say it's a feature like the radio or parking sensors and the car is drive able without it?

James.

Yes, that's correct.

If the ABS is not functioning then there are all sorts of implications. In theory your insurance cover may not be valid for example - nor would the car pass an MoT. ABS has been a mandatory fitment in the EU for several years, so I don't think Skoda could claim it was an feature like a radio or parking sensor. The ABS/ESP is a central part of the car's dynamic safety package, so the failure of this system is a very major concern. It is very disappointing that VAG are not treating this situation with the gravity that it deserves.

I think in 2 years I will taking a extended warranty! Please tell me that come 2008 they fitted really good ABS units and this is just teething issues with 06/06 cars....

James.

Got my car back from the dealer today after the tried to find the problem.

they confirmed that this is the second Octavia the had in this week.

My warranty is out since March 09 but the Skoda Ireland are paying for the full 100% of the cost of the part and today's work.

Friday i find out if it they are also going to pay for the labor when fitting the part next week.

I've never been so happy in my life and was delighted with the customer service i got from them.

they even washed the car for me after running the diagnostic check today.

Next update when they do the install.

• 2 weeks later...

The ABS unit on my 10-month-old Octavia 1.9 TDi DSG (6,000) miles has just failed. Took it back to the dealer that supplied it, and they say the unit has failed because of water ingress, and is thus not covered under warrranty becuse "I have damged the car". The fault occured in heavy rain when I drove through a puddle no more that about 2" or 3" deep at about 25-30 MPH. The dealer wants to charge me nearly £1,500 to replace the unit!! Naturally, I'm squeeling like mad and am trying to persuade the dealer/Skoda to fix this under warranty. Any advice on how best to do this would be appreciated. I'll post the outcome.

The ABS unit on my 10-month-old Octavia 1.9 TDi DSG (6,000) miles has just failed. Took it back to the dealer that supplied it, and they say the unit has failed because of water ingress, and is thus not covered under warrranty becuse "I have damged the car". The fault occured in heavy rain when I drove through a puddle no more that about 2" or 3" deep at about 25-30 MPH. The dealer wants to charge me nearly £1,500 to replace the unit!! Naturally, I'm squeeling like mad and am trying to persuade the dealer/Skoda to fix this under warranty. Any advice on how best to do this would be appreciated. I'll post the outcome.

I'd cut their balls off for not helping you. when you say the car is 10 months old could it be the car was built back in early 2007 and not sold by Skoda UK till 10 months ago. The dealer I went to has now fixed 3 Octavias for this issue including mine. only cars from 2007 onwards are being covered fully for parts cost by Skoda Ireland.

I'd be advising anyone with an early 07 back to go and find out what ABS controler unit you have as people say they fail due to a design fault.

I got mine back on Friday from the dealer and I am delighted with the customer care I got. They washed my car the first day they had it while doing the scan and again on friday after replacing the part. a small touch but these little would defo make me go back to Skoda again.

Back to your dealer, could you not go to another dealer nearby

Edited by vRS 170TDi Cork

Don't try to 'persuade' them. Get them to put the above in writing and then take them to court. You WILL win if they trot out the above story. The car clearly is neither 'fit for purpose' nor 'durable' under Sale of Goods Act. You shouldn't need a solicitor, but it you do use one then expect to pay no more than £500 for initial letter and court representation. Alternatively join the Consumers' Association 'Which? Personal Services' and they will look after you as part of your subscription. Frankly this is an absolute disgrace and if you can get the story in writing then I'd send it to What Car?, HonestJohn, Which? etc etc. The more publicity about this fault the better, it might encourage Skoda to take ownership of what is evidently a major design flaw in a safety-critical component.

These would not appear to be abnormal conditions, and I would have expected Skoda's testing to have covered this eventuality. It is not as if you left the windows or something open where the damage could be attributable to your actions.

Another dealer could be an option, or failing that Skoda UK.

A successful outcome. Skoda have, after much negotiation on my behalf by the salesman who sold me the car last December, finally agreed to do the repair (i.e., replace the ABS control unit) under warranty. So many thanks to Duncan at Station Garage, Ewhurst, Surrey. Just to clarify, when in my original post I said the fault had been caused by water ingress, the garage told me that when they removed the ABS unit, "it was full of water", which - they initially said - must have got there because of the way I drove the car. If driving through less than an inch of standing water at about 20 MPH can cause the ABS unit to become water-logged, there has to be something wrong with the design of the unit or its positioning in the car.

• 4 weeks later...

55 Plate Octavia warning lights for ESP, ABS, Traction and tyre pressure all came on - dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree! Fear it is well known control unit failure. Car being examined by dealer on Monday then expecting a "debate" with Skoda over who pays for repairs. This is clearly an endemic safety fault and should be covered by the manufacturer; however, on a 4 year old car I am expecting them to wriggle. Will keep Forum informed on progress.

55 Plate Octavia warning lights for ESP, ABS, Traction and tyre pressure all came on - dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree! Fear it is well known control unit failure. Car being examined by dealer on Monday then expecting a "debate" with Skoda over who pays for repairs. This is clearly an endemic safety fault and should be covered by the manufacturer; however, on a 4 year old car I am expecting them to wriggle. Will keep Forum informed on progress.

l

Chalk up another one - my 07 plate vRS TDi has just had this problem fixed following 4 days of diagnosis at the dealership, in spite of the fact that I told them when I took it in that this would be the problem. Thankfully my warranty lasts until August 2010, so at least it has gone in time, but my concern is what will happen in another two or three years when this one gets old? Think, as others have said, that I'll be taking the extended warranty when mine ends!

I will fill in the VOSA form and get it sent off - I would encourage you all to do the same.

Soaps

Sorry to hear about your collective woes, this has also just happened to a colleague of mine with a vRS just out of warranty.

Does anyone know whether this problem has been resolved on later cars - I'm a bit worried as I'll be picking up a new Octy any day now.

Main Dealer inspected car today and identified fault as a worn rear wheel bearing that had shed grease over the ABS unit! They replaced the bearing, cleaned everything up and now everything seems fine. No warning lights and everything working okay. hooray!!

Sorry this comes very late to the party.

The ESP light sparkled on the dash of my '51 4x4 in May 09 and the fault was fixed, with a replaced rear-wheel speed sensor, by the local (Llandysul) first class Skoda hospital for £121 all up.

Moral? If in doubt, get a second opinion.

• 1 month later...

And another one! 07 VRS Diesel. ABS ESP & Tyre light all on at once the day after it was serviced! It has to go back in anyway for (another) new cruise control stalk to be fitted. We'll see what happens. Thankfully, this is a lease car so I'm not faced with the expensively painful plastic surgery of the previous posters (I sympathise and share their righteous indignation) but it's still a pain having to take it to hospital.

Overall, I really like the car; mechanically the only gripe is having to top up the oil more than with any other car I have had - I've never touched a Mondeo's oil filler cap. Electrically, it seems that VW group has real problems:

First they "forgot" to put in the wiring for the light assist.

Then there is the "Windows-like" failure of the aircon to start. Switch off, wait and restart and it comes on again.

The tyre pressure light seems to indicate that the tyre pressure light is on. I've never found a problem with the tyre!

Two cruise control intermittent failures and now this collection of disco lights.

The electrical/electronic systems of modern cars account for about 30% of the total cost so the component suppliers are screwed right down on price. It doesn't excuse Skoda from providing goods of acceptable quality and longevity. I've never had electrical problems with Vauxhalls or Fords and my £25 DVD player is still going strong after nearly 5 years - so it can be done.

The lease is up in June. Will I go for another one? You do get a lot for your money and it is fun to drive but with age comes grumpiness and intolerance of little annoyances. Depending on the outcome of the latest diagnosis, I might just be @rsed to trawl the competition.

Assuming this is the same Teves MK60 abs unit found in our MK V Golf with the integrated G201 sensor we've just offered to take our local dealer to small claims court, the result was a 70% contribution without much hassle. 35% from VW, 35% because the dealer knew they would loose and figured 75% now was less than whatever we'd get awarded and the legal costs as it was a known issue.

For the record VW will meet 100% of the part cost and 50% of the labour costs for 4 year old cars WITH full MDSH, after that it's 35% WITH full MDSH, no MDSH no contribution, you can't argue block exemption as it's good will and not main warranty etc. They will try and insist the BF was changed as per the interval but this is rubbish, the sensor causing the failure is not in contact with the BF. BBE Reman is possibly the best option. As for VOSA it's a waste of time, it's not a safety issue as the ABS works and the driver is made aware of the issue to take the car to a dealer, it's the ESP that's disabled. If the dealers play dumb it's not a user serviceable part and is designed to last the life of the car so SH has nothing to do with it, if it's on finance involve the finance company, then the CAB and use Sale of Goods and the standard unfit for purpose approach.

Lastly it's only the ABS unit if you get the swervey car logo (on the VW's), I've not driven the octy in a week so can't check if it's the same but if you're getting multiple lights etc then it's not the ABS unit. VCDS clearly identifies the G201 and MK60 as the origin of the fault.

Good Luck :)

*edit* oh this affects VW, Skoda, Seat and Audi, as well as Vauxhall, BMW etc it's best known on the Golf and Golf+ though.

*edited for typo's* - it's hard typing that much on an iphone!

Edited by Avalon