Rear Wiper Motor just died

Guest westallc

thats not good buddy just sold one with arm and wiper today for £20

but i must say the best thing to do is take it off it looks so much better and just plaster the rear screen with rainx:thumbup:

thats not good buddy just sold one with arm and wiper today for £20

but i must say the best thing to do is take it off it looks so much better and just plaster the rear screen with rainx:thumbup:

Dam just missed that sale..

Funny that .. I fitted a rubber plug and sealed it in place whilst waiting to get another wiper, but kind of liking it without a wiper.

Guest westallc

cool keep it like that looks so much better..and you never really use a rear wiper when the window has rainx on...:thumbup:

i did mine thats why i sold the motor wont be needing that again:D

Agreed! I've been running without my rear wiper for ages, and I've never missed it.

Looks better, saves money on wiper blades, saves weight, improves aerodynamics.... probably!

I connected some silicone vac tubing to the pump outlet and just pointed the end of the hose down and zip tied it there incase anyone decides to press the rear squirt button! I think someone on here sprayed it onto the intercooler as a wicked pikey mod!

Curious today, so I decided to open up the siezed wiper motor asm to find horrible brown rusty gunk in it.

I cleaned it all up then dissmantled the asm to piece parts and free up the moving components with WD40 and a lot of excercising the moving parts. Managed to unseize the parts so degreased them and then applied waterproof grease. Applied electric grease to the contacts, cleaned the motor brushes and reassembled the parts using some waterproof gasket sealant. Then I tested it by repluging it to the cars loom and hung it in the boot, and guess what it works perfectly. I have taken pics of what I did should anyone fancy go. Not too bad really.

Mind you now that i have been driving around without a wiper kind of like it. Still if anyone needs a postage repair I may be up for it,

Any pix of it without the wiper? and what have you covered the hole with?

Will take a few pics tomorrow. Covered the hole with a rubber bung 42mm one i think.

Curious today, so I decided to open up the siezed wiper motor asm to find horrible brown rusty gunk in it.

I cleaned it all up then dissmantled the asm to piece parts and free up the moving components with WD40 and a lot of excercising the moving parts. Managed to unseize the parts so degreased them and then applied waterproof grease. Applied electric grease to the contacts, cleaned the motor brushes and reassembled the parts using some waterproof gasket sealant. Then I tested it by repluging it to the cars loom and hung it in the boot, and guess what it works perfectly. I have taken pics of what I did should anyone fancy go. Not too bad really.

Mind you now that i have been driving around without a wiper kind of like it. Still if anyone needs a postage repair I may be up for it,

i did this to mine,it worked fine for 2 weeks then started to go slower & slower & started to randomly stop anywhere it liked the it stopped completley with a nice burning smell from it!:eek: i brought a secondhand motor in the end!:thumbup:

Any tips on disconnecting the washer pipe from the top end so that you can remove the wiper arm?

The Haynes manual shows it being prised off with a large screwdriver which seems a bit brutal, is this the best way?

Any tips on disconnecting the washer pipe from the top end so that you can remove the wiper arm?

The Haynes manual shows it being prised off with a large screwdriver which seems a bit brutal, is this the best way?

It is basically as it it fitted very tightly over the metal tubing. I remember replacing one and fitting new one I had to hit down with a rubber mallet.:eek:

I would carefully prise up the plastic hose connector with a small thin screwdriver moving the screwdriver round the connection as you go or use 2 screwdrivers to evenly pop it up.

I'm going to take mine to bits today as mine has also more or less expired and a new one is £66 + vat.

If you have no luck, I have one removed from a car that has always been garaged (bar 6 months while I rebuilt a bigger garage when I moved house 6 years ago). Yours for £20 posted - somewhat cheaper than the £66 + Vat you've been quoted

If you have no luck, I have one removed from a car that has always been garaged (bar 6 months while I rebuilt a bigger garage when I moved house 6 years ago). Yours for £20 posted - somewhat cheaper than the £66 + Vat you've been quoted

Thanks, I may take you up on your offer. I have stripped mine and cleaned all of the crud out of the gearbox now and repacked it with grease, so I'll see what happens.