The Law, Regarding Cracked Windscreens?

Browny_37

Hi all, had a little blonde moment tonight.

Basically, ive managed to apply light pressure to the edge of the windscreen. Which in turn shot a crack up about half way along the passenger windscreen wiper blade. And over to the drivers side slightly. Before it stops (It doesn't go past the half way point of the windscreen). It maybe about 1-2inches higher than the dashboard, it doesn't effect my field of view greatly either.

Now this is the point where im up the creak without a paddle, my insurance closes early on a saturday, neither are they open on a sunday.

So im going to have to wait till monday to call them now.

I obviously need the car over the weekend, and cant seem to find any links on google regarding legality of a cracked windscreen.

Can anyone offer any advice or even better a link explaining whats permissable until i get it replaced?

Call the glass claims number which will go through to the glass repairer direct usually - you just need your policy details.

Legally you'll be fine as not in the drivers field of view.

Which will probably be on monday now?

Thanks for the input guys :)

I drove around with a similar crack in my windscreen but at the top for a couple of weeks. I think it's OK as long as it doesn't extend through the main bit of the windscreen you look through. The bloke at autoglass said it was OK to drive around with it cracked after he looked at it.

Th crack in mine did start to grow though from a inch or so to about 8 over a few days.

I'll stand to be corrected, but I believe a cracked windscreen is merely an MOT fail. Unless your MOT is tomorrow, you'll be fine to get it fixed at your leisure.

If it would fail an MOT then it is technically unroadworthy.

Having said that I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• 4 months later...

He's talking about his crack though Ben :rofl:

And as thebloke with theBRUMMY accent says is what happens to an overheated chip ."it can't take the temperaturechange" - sounds like siomething to be found on "Act on C02"

Last November whilst putting my mother car in for MOT, I spoke to the mechanic/inspector about cracks in windscreens. He said if it a curtain size in a specific area (in drivers vision) or if the crack touches more than one side of the screen then it will fail. If it does not do this then it may pass the MOT. In theory you could have one that starts at the bottom and ends nearly at the top, say the sun strip all on the passenger side it will still pass.

I asked this because I had noticed I have a crack just above the tax disc, about the same radius of it that starts at one edge of the screen. I am still going to get it replaced this year anyway, even if it passes an MOT.