Brakes - Octavia

Hi all!!! I'm totally new here so please be gentle....:)

My question is this....

I'm driving a 2002 Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi Ambiente.. Yesterday I changed the front brake pads.... No probs, except after bleeding the brakes, the brake pedal fell to the floor when I pressed it... After checking, re-checking and re-bleeding for an hour later, I'm still getting the same result!!! With the engine off, the brake pressure builds up, but it's still soft underfoot... When I turn the engine on, the pedal becomes very soft and I can push it to the floor.....

Any advice/solutions very gratefully received!!!! It's driving me nuts!!!!:eek::eek::eek::mad:

How did you bleed the brakes?

The "traditional" method of pumping the brake pedal to the floor will cause the piston seals in the master cylinder to invert and cause the symptoms described.

Cure is to replace / rebuild the cylinder and pressure bleed the brakes.

With the engine off, keep sustained pressure on the pedal: does it sink? If so, you may have damaged master cylinder seals. It's not certain to invert the seals as described above, but there is a chance of doing it.

why did the brakes need bleeding if you only changed the pads? i'm pretty sure if you let the brake fluid level drop too low then you need vag-com to re-set and bleed the brakes. this may be on newer vag cars tho

I assumed he changed his front pads and then decided to change the fluid too?

I have tried to use vga-com to bleed the brakes on my 2001 TDi, but found it a pain in the **** to do, so I gave up and let a dealer do it (along with changing a hydraulic clutch pipe which was leaking).

It is possible to bleed the brakes with an Eezi-Bleed, but as has already been said you need to make sure that the fluid doesn't get down too low in the master cylinder or I believe that Vag-com will still be required to actuate the ABS and get the air back out.