Felicia Front fog light retro-fit thread

TeflonTom

alright, been fiddling with my pickup again and decided to fit some front fog lights to it using all oe parts and wiring etc.... this is a really easy job that even an absolute novice can do with just a few screwdrivers..

to complete this job you need the front foglight switch, front foglight relay and both foglamp units from a donor car up the scrap yard.

100_0548.jpg

first remove the plastic blanks from the ends of the switch panel, and remove the 2x philips screws from underneath, then carefully prize off the plastic trim from the middle of the centre ventilation grill and remove the philips screw from underneath..

100_0549.jpg

then remove plastic cover trim to on the right hand side of the steering wheel. access screw underneath, and also another further switch trim to access a screw

now the whole dash trim and instrument cluster assembly can be lifted forward enough to get in to put the new foglight switch in

100_0550.jpg

all felicia's in uk spec have the wiring for the fog lamps pre-installed, the wiring harness for the front foglight switch will be cable tied onto the rear foglamp switch harness.

100_0551.jpg

knock out the switch blank then push in the new foglight switch untill it is firmly home, there are 2x expanding clips which 'snap' into place when it is in fully. connect up the wiring harness to the switch. blue is for the rear fogs, grey is for the front fogs

now re-assemble the instruments/dash and make sure that anything you disturbed is working

Edited by TeflonTom

as an aside, i wonder if anybody can spot the deliberate mistake here?? clue: this is fitted in a pickup :D

100_0552.jpg

ok, insert your front fog relay into the empty slot ( R2 ) , then insert a 10amp blade fuse into each of the empty fuse locations

drivers side

100_0547.jpg

the wiring on the drivers side is terminated to a 2 pin plug with little metal spring clips.. and it will be hiding somewhere down near the left hand end of the radiator

passenger side

100_0546.jpg

the wiring harness will be hiding somewhere just in front of the windscreen washer bottle

Thanks Tom, nice tutorial :thumbup:

just need a picture of all the parts you need prior to fitting ;)

as an aside, when you get the fog lights from the scrapyard, make sure you also take the wiring that goes from each fog to the 2 pin plugs by the radiator/washer bottle.

as an aside, when you get the fog lights from the scrapyard, make sure you also take the wiring that goes from each fog to the 2 pin plugs by the radiator/washer bottle.

yes quite right, i forgot to say, there are 2 small lengths of 2 pin loom that go from each of the connectors to the light units themselves. also it's worth dropping out the actual lamps from the units themselves and putting new ones in... more on this subject after i've been to the scrapyard again tomorrow

100_0558.jpg

next job is to take out the foglight blanking trims from the front bumper, just get in the side of the trim with a large flat bladed screwdriver and they just pop out

100_0559.jpg

foglight blanking trim removed

Edited by TeflonTom

now the front bumper needs to come off, but to access the mounting nuts the grill panel needs to come off first

100_0563.jpg

depress the clip and slide the indicator unit out of it's home and leave it carefully to one side, then remove the bolt arrowed

100_0561.jpg

inside the engine bay, just eiher side of the radiator is 2 nuts to be removed (sorry i've not got a pic of the other one),

100_0562.jpg

2x philips screws to be removed then the grill panel lifts away

100_0564.jpg

now to the front bumper...

100_0560.jpg

up inside the front wheel arch, slacken the nut until the end moulding can be released, there's no need to remove the nut completely, same other side of car but mirror image

100_0566.jpg

right down at the bottom in each corner is a nut to come out, looking from above they are underneath the chassis rails.. (again other side too but mirror image)

100_0569.jpg

100_0578.jpg

left and right pair of foglamp units and plastic trims obtained form a breakers yard for £15. unfortunately they only had the ones with a body coloured bumper so i just grabbed the dark blue ones until i can find some black ones...

make sure you get the complete light unit, the bumper needs to be removed and the bolts taken out from behind, also teh 2 pin wire loom is detachable from the units so be carefull to get the whole thing

100_0572.jpg

100_0575.jpg

place foglamp unit into bumper making sure that the wiring harness is fed through the hole closest to the middle of the bumper, do up 2 securing bolts then jobs a goodun... there's no need to undo the philips screws on the front of the lamp units unless the lamp is being replaced

100_0577-1.jpg

final testing just before re-assembling everything, obviously the ignition needs to be switch on, and the side lights need to be on for the fogs to work!!

100_0579.jpg

plastic trims in place, and job done! cost less than £25 all in, new front foglight swich from the dealer was £8 something

Probably even easier to fit to a mk2 Feli, the fog light blanks cost a couple of quid each and the bumper didn't need to be removed, the wiring is exactly the same as the mk1

now to the front bumper...

100_0560.jpg

up inside the front wheel arch, slacken the nut until the end moulding can be released, there's no need to remove the nut completely, same other side of car but mirror image

Every time I've done this the captive bolt has sheered. On refitting I drill the bumper and wing as near to the original bolt as possible and put a self tapper in. It's easier than trying to drill out the remains of the original bolt.

While it looks difficult to replace that bolt, they actually come off really, really easily with a grinder (10 seconds or so) due to the way it's welded on, and you can weld a new one on (or just bolt it) quite easily.

• 3 years later...

that is a good point, the front fog lights need to be on before the rear ones will work too if I recall because of the way the switches are wired.. Which does ask the question why did they bother? One switch would have been adequate. Unless you want to drive round with just the front ones on if you are a boy racer I guess.

• Like 1

The only logical explanation for separate front and rear fog switches is to have front fog lights as an extra for marketing reason.

LX models have only rear fog lights (to be seen) while GLX models have both front and rear fog lights (to see and be seen).

If I'm driving in fog with front and rear fog lights on but then someone catches up behind I turn off the rears so as not to dazzle the other driver and to make the brake lights more visible.

The roads round here get very mucky in the winter so I'll occasionally use the front fogs for a bit extra front lighting as they seem very good at catching the cats-eyes and reflective road markings (maybe because of their low angle) but I don't want the rears on at the same time if it's not actually foggy.

Having them wired separately gives that extra versatility so I wouldn't put them on the same switch.

Edited by Red Studio

• 9 years later...

HI All, 

I'm considering installing the fog lights to my '97 MK1 Felicia Combi. 

I'm not exactly sure i have the wiring pre installed though. Is that possible? Car is Polish made, in Poznan, and the trim is probably the poorest possible. :D

I was hoping they would not bother with making different versions of wire loom, but i can't find the foglight wirings at all. 

Are they just hidden real well somewhere or am I screwed here and needs to make my own wiring / relay, etc. (not a biggie, done that before, but would save me an afternoon if i didn't have to)

Thanks!

Z

• 2 weeks later...

@hzoltaan

I used this guide when I fitted mine, it's extremely usefull. 

On 11/10/2023 at 10:09, hzoltaan said:

Are they just hidden real well somewhere or

Yes, Unless someone has cut them off I'm 99.5% sure they will be there. Just have a good look around, it may already be tucked through the hole in the front panel, next to the radiator. 

• 2 weeks later...

They might have built those very el-cheapo cars for the Polish market in Poznan a bit differently. I looked and looked, but nada. Also could not find wiring for the switch itself, which was doubly painful as I wished to install it decently, with control light in dash, allowing rear foglight to work with only front fog, etc. 

Eventually i made a new wiring for the fogligths and placed a 4 pin relay near the battery (I think on ABS models there are relays there, there were two M5 threads screaming to be used for relays) 

Wired in the switch too, getting interior light and ground feed off the rear foglight switch right next to it. 

Added a thin wire to tickle the rear foglight relay when the front fog is turned on. Not exactly the same way as the original is wired, but hey, I just simplified...

Today morning it occured to me that my circuit breaker box might be the same even if front fog wiring is missing... If that's true (I need to check that) Then i might be able to use proper fuses, and a relay in the box to control things, just need to wire in the switch. 

Anyways, it works now, the only thing missing is the control lamp in the dash. Gave up on pulling the speedo cable and with that in place, I can't get behind the instruments. Sadly some extra hoses and etc for the LPG blocs access to the speedo cable retaining cap, so i can't get in there with pliers. I'll try from underneath one day. 

Otherwise all works as the logic from the schematics suggests apart from the extra relay that allows it all only going when ignition is on. 

I'm truly curious about how they did the different wiring loom though. Designing and installing differently based on car models, etc just to save a few meters of copper and some plastic connectors...?

I really expected it all to be sitting there and be connected. But of course... There is no wiring for aircon, ABS etc, so there must be some variations. Sad thing, foglight was not standard equipment, considering our nasty winters and autumns. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hzoltaan said:

They might have built those very el-cheapo cars for the Polish market in Poznan a bit differently. I looked and looked, but nada. Also could not find wiring for the switch itself, which was doubly painful as I wished to install it decently, with control light in dash, allowing rear foglight to work with only front fog, etc. 

Eventually i made a new wiring for the fogligths and placed a 4 pin relay near the battery (I think on ABS models there are relays there, there were two M5 threads screaming to be used for relays) 

Wired in the switch too, getting interior light and ground feed off the rear foglight switch right next to it. 

Added a thin wire to tickle the rear foglight relay when the front fog is turned on. Not exactly the same way as the original is wired, but hey, I just simplified...

Today morning it occured to me that my circuit breaker box might be the same even if front fog wiring is missing... If that's true (I need to check that) Then i might be able to use proper fuses, and a relay in the box to control things, just need to wire in the switch. 

Anyways, it works now, the only thing missing is the control lamp in the dash. Gave up on pulling the speedo cable and with that in place, I can't get behind the instruments. Sadly some extra hoses and etc for the LPG blocs access to the speedo cable retaining cap, so i can't get in there with pliers. I'll try from underneath one day. 

Otherwise all works as the logic from the schematics suggests apart from the extra relay that allows it all only going when ignition is on. 

I'm truly curious about how they did the different wiring loom though. Designing and installing differently based on car models, etc just to save a few meters of copper and some plastic connectors...?

I really expected it all to be sitting there and be connected. But of course... There is no wiring for aircon, ABS etc, so there must be some variations. Sad thing, foglight was not standard equipment, considering our nasty winters and autumns. 

i just checked the fusebox in the garage... Relay R2 (front foglights) is missing, and just above it, there's a empty socket for a connector. So I'm guessing that that connector had wires to the switch and L/R foglights.  I'll measure if that socket is really wired to the relay and test the idea. Would be a hell more neat and it would probably work properly. And yeah, all the fuses are there, no empty slots, even for stuff that's not installed. :D

On my Saab900 it was exactly the opposite. All fuses relays are properly marked, and the not used ones are empty.