Another cambelt interval thread

cj_uk

Quick update on this. I popped by my local Skoda service centre this morning and had them check their data for the 1.6fsi engine. Much to the surprise of the guy I was talking to the 2004 1.6FSI is indeed a CAM chain and not a belt. Net result I don't need to be forking out for a new belt :)

Excellent - having graduated from a chain driven Nissan Primera 1.6 which covered 160K without any engine surgery, it's nice to know my 1.6 Octavia should continue in a similar vein :party:

As a matter of interest, how old is your car and how many miles have you done?

I had mine changed this year, car was 4 years old, 56K.

Sorry forgot to say that my car has covered 58,000 miles and is 2 1/2 years old

My 2006 octavia 1.9tdi is 4 years old in august 2010. I t will probably have done around 50-52k by then. I asked my motor engineer I take the car to what he thought of the cambeltbeing changed by mileage or age. He said that it should be done with age not mileage as it is the material the belt is made of that degrades with time and not neccesarily mileage, hence the varying mileage quotes between manufacturers. I'll go with what he says.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you tell the difference ? Is is stamped on the engine or a plate anywhere ?

The engine code is on the information sticker next to the spare wheel well and also inside the service book.

Lads, I know I'm tempting faith here and I will be the laughing stock on the forum. Forgive me Father but it has been 170,000kms since my last cambelt change.

The boss will not let me spend the money on the car with such high mileage already on it ( nearly 290,000kms ). He's not seeing the big picture.

My 2006 octavia 1.9tdi is 4 years old in august 2010. I t will probably have done around 50-52k by then. I asked my motor engineer I take the car to what he thought of the cambeltbeing changed by mileage or age. He said that it should be done with age not mileage as it is the material the belt is made of that degrades with time and not neccesarily mileage, hence the varying mileage quotes between manufacturers. I'll go with what he says.

Did he say what age?

I confirmed with my local dealer this morning, VAG have revised the cambelt intervals and are now extended. 2.0 TDI's 07 and onwards (within a certain chassis range) are now 95,000 miles or 4 years, prior to 07 its 75,000 or 4 years. My car is an 07 and has the right chassis number, so it definitely comes into 95,000 miles or 4 years, I have confirmed this twice with Skoda UK prior to seeing my dealer.

Edited by cj_uk