Octy II VRs (Diesel ) Coolant Loss

The level on my 2.0 TDi is just above minimum when cold and around the max mark when hot, wont filling it to max when cold present a problem when the engine warms up?

Handbook states level should be checked when cold and be between min & max. Yes; the level will rise when hot, but that's what the expansion tank is for; no problem.

For my purposes I have always checked when cold (first thing in the morning) and adjusted level accordingly.

Sooooooo......................

Monday am - Car into Dealers

Tuesday am - Phonecall from Dealers - problem has been found; a leak under the Coolant Header Tank, probably a manufacturing defect

Wednesday am - Car back, fixed, washed & SO shiny :D

Thanks Guys (you know who you are !)

Happy driver once again

Sooooooo......................

Monday am - Car into Dealers

Tuesday am - Phonecall from Dealers - problem has been found; a leak under the Coolant Header Tank, probably a manufacturing defect

Wednesday am - Car back, fixed, washed & SO shiny :D

Thanks Guys (you know who you are !)

Happy driver once again

Glad you have got it fixed.

"Coolant Header Tank" - do you mean the Expansion bottle/globe?

D

• 2 weeks later...

Did my weekly check this morning; coolant level a bit below 'min' and only done 500 miles since last set to 'max'. Topped up and will now leave until car goes to my dealer a week on Friday; I'll probably have done another 400-500 miles by then.

Picked my car up on Saturday morning with coolant loss diagnosed as coming from the 'oil cooler'.

I asked for a bit more detail and was shown the parts plan that shows there is a 'ring doughnut' jacket of coolant around the base of the oil filter housing. The required part is on order and I will get it fitted after Easter.

• 4 weeks later...

Had mine diagnosed (suspected) as an oil cooler at fault for my coolant loss. Car does stutter ALOT though and power is all over the place. 1 min i have full power, then the turbo goes on holiday :(

Hope the oil cooler fixes it or it looks like im in for an expensive one!!

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd put in an update on my woes; short version.

Having had the 'oil cooler' replaced I found I was still loosing coolant. Car went back to my dealer who diagnosed a small (pinprick) hole in one of the coolant hoses adjacent to the oil cooler. Had this replaced, but a week/350 miles further on I'm still loosing coolant.

I've swapped the expansion tank cap, with the one from my wife's Roomster', to eliminate this as the cause. Two weeks/500 miles further on; I'm still loosing coolant albeit, perhaps, at a slightly slower rate.

Head scratching time! I've told my dealer I'll keep driving for a while longer to see if the leak gets any worse or not and aim to review in a couple of week's time. I might just ask if they will change the Expansion Tank (quick and low cost job) to eliminate this from the scenario.

Think it might be time to raise the stakes as they seem to be clueless or just pi55ing you about. If it's been like this since you purchased the vehicle was it 'fit for purpose' when you bought it ?? Try contacting the MD or owner of the franchise & explain that you are getting mucked about.

Good luck getting it fixed, i'm in a similar situation with my Cruise Control. I say its not working OK, the diagnostics kit says all OK; it's only when i went out with a technician with the diagnostics box that i could prove that although all the diagnostics were apparantly OK, it still wouldn't 'Resume' correctly. Now we are swapping bits to find the part thats causing the problem.

Frustrating :doh:

would like to know what you problem eventually turns out to be

John

Think it might be time to raise the stakes as they seem to be clueless or just pi55ing you about. If it's been like this since you purchased the vehicle was it 'fit for purpose' when you bought it ?? Try contacting the MD or owner of the franchise & explain that you are getting mucked about.

Good luck getting it fixed, i'm in a similar situation with my Cruise Control. I say its not working OK, the diagnostics kit says all OK; it's only when i went out with a technician with the diagnostics box that i could prove that although all the diagnostics were apparantly OK, it still wouldn't 'Resume' correctly. Now we are swapping bits to find the part thats causing the problem.

Frustrating :doh:

would like to know what you problem eventually turns out to be

John

I've had my vRS from new, first truly notice the problem in January 2010 and made 1st report to my dealer then. Warranty ran out at the end of March, but I have put my dealer on written notice more than once, most recently at the beginning of this week, that I consider the rectification of this fault should be made 'under warranty' i.e. I'm not paying for it, regardless of whatever argument there will likely be between between Skoda UK and Dealer as to who pays.

Meanwhile, I'm content to monitor the situation for 4-5 weeks as I'm about to go on holiday and am extra busy at work; I'll more than likely attack the issue in mid July.

• 8 months later...

The issue will likely be a porous head. I have had a similar collant loss on my 2.0 TDI for the past 18 months. The delaer cannot find any fault, the car runs well no smoke, no oil in the water no overheating from over preassure just it goes from full to low in the coolant about every 2000Kms. So where does it go....??? We folks I now can answer this mysterious puzzle. I leaks slowly into the exhaust port and is blown out the exhaust. The amount is so small that it will be vapourised long before if reaches the tail pipe.

How do I know you all ask..... I discovered it by chance when removing the turbo to cure an over boost issue. I left the car on stands for several days with the exhaust manifold off only to discover a small puddle of water on the floor. Closer investigation showed it was coming from the #2 exhaust port :S

• 8 months later...

Hi, sorry to revive such an old thread. While trying to track down a coolant leak, my mechanic traced the leak back to this unit. The rubber seal sits in a little channel and a portion of this seams to have given way (melted??) causing the rubber seal to give way in a couple of places. I think this is the thermostat housing, its located on the right hand side of the block underneath the metal EGR pipe.post-22824-0-89834300-1323042831_thumb.jpg