Yeti Tyre and Rim Guide

The Plumber

The more I look into this the more confused I get.

The manual states sizes of wheels and tyres for use with snow chains, but if I am understanding it right, doesn't specify winter tyre size without snow chains, or summer tyre size.

All it mentions is:

"You must only fit those types of winter tyre which are approved for your vehicle. The permissible sizes of winter tyres are stated in your vehicle documents. Approvals may differ because of national legislation."

What documents? does it mean this manual??

So is 215/60 R16 an acceptable size for a winter tyre? I Know Agerbundsen is using that size, but I believe that is the standard size for his spec car anyway.

As mine is an elegance with 17" spitzberg wheels. for which I have ordered some 7Jx16 ET45 steel skoda wheels.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

The more I look into this the more confused I get.

The manual states sizes of wheels and tyres for use with snow chains, but if I am understanding it right, doesn't specify winter tyre size without snow chains, or summer tyre size.

All it mentions is:

"You must only fit those types of winter tyre which are approved for your vehicle. The permissible sizes of winter tyres are stated in your vehicle documents. Approvals may differ because of national legislation."

What documents? does it mean this manual??

So is 215/60 R16 an acceptable size for a winter tyre? I Know Agerbundsen is using that size, but I believe that is the standard size for his spec car anyway.

As mine is an elegance with 17" spitzberg wheels. for which I have ordered some 7Jx16 ET45 steel skoda wheels.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Skoda UK does not provide these other documents (just refer you to Kwik-fit :S ) however Skoda Germany do. They provide a link on their web site and the list the vehicles approved tyre and rims sizes, cross referenced against model and engine designations under the vehicles type approval number variation My link Obviously the model designations only apply to German models but you can still use the engine designation.

So looking at page 180 of the attached PDF link the type approval variation is the e11......... number at the top of the page (you can find your vehicles in the V5c) that applies to my early production Yeti, then in the left hand column are the engine designations which in my case is CBDB so from that I can now see which tyre and rim sizes are approved for my Yeti by Skoda Germany.

However there is nothing wrong with using the tyre sizes you have got but in winter format. Remember though wider profile tyres are less effective in wet cold conditions and snow, also don't like hitting substantial standing water at speed. So in my view anyway a 16" rim with 215/60 or 205/55 is going to be the better winter option. As I'm guaranteed to get snow at some point on the hills which I have to climb and descend between home and work I run the 205 as it's IMHO more suited to those conditions.

Hope that's of some help :wonder:

TP

I will assume mine will be the same as it's a CR140 4x4 but with DSG gearbox.

All the 16" M&S tyres are 205/55. So that is Skoda Germany's recommendation. Not 215/60 R16's for M&S tyres.

Thinking about it, snow chains are 12mm max, the radius reduction is 12.7 mm approx, so the 205/55 R16 with snow chains end up, being the same size as the standard tyres.

So, if I don't want to use snow chains, then I could go up to the 215/60 R16 as long as it is 94H or higher.

Mike

I will assume mine will be the same as it's a CR140 4x4 but with DSG gearbox.

All the 16" M&S tyres are 205/55. So that is Skoda Germany's recommendation. Not 215/60 R16's for M&S tyres.

Thinking about it, snow chains are 12mm max, the radius reduction is 12.7 mm approx, so the 205/55 R16 with snow chains end up, being the same size as the standard tyres.

So, if I don't want to use snow chains, then I could go up to the 215/60 R16 as long as it is 94H or higher.

Mike

Hi Mike,

yes spot on although your engine will be the updated CFHC motor (should see these letters on the black specification panel on the rear drivers door pillar).

Regards,

TP

• 2 months later...

I would offer this tried recommendation to The Plumbers brilliant post:-

Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 in size 205/55/16 91H fitted to factory-fitted original alloys (16 inch)

fantastic performance!

Stuart

Hi

I have 205/55 R16 Michelin Alpin A4 winter tyres on a 1.2 TSI SE DSG urban Yeti.

Performed brilliantly on a snow and slush covered M4 and subsequent main and side roads and hills between Bristol and Neath Abbey yesterday.

Can't compare with other types of course.

Fred

I have 2 Yetis, both with 2 set of tyres, summer one and the winter one.

On 17" Yeti winters are 205/50 R17 (Fulda g-force...)

On 16" Yeti winters are205/55 R16 (BF Goodrich winter .. something)

Very satisfied with both sets. Thanks to this thread I learn what size could fit on which rims..

Edited by lok

• 3 months later...

This seems to be a complicated subject.

I'm currently thinking of getting shut of my old L&K Ocatvia and Shogun Pinin and replacing both with a Yeti Elegance on the basis that the off-road use the Hairdressermobile gets is quite tame, and the lower cost of running just one vehicle would probably offset the slightly higher fuel consuption of the Yeti cf. the Octy. The Pinin, of course, barely gives 29mpg (petrol).

I was thinking of using the 17" standard wheels in the summer, and switching to a 16" steel set with knobblier tyres for the slippery months. However, the General Grabber AT2s which I find so very effective on the Pinin are available only in 215/65 16, not 215/60.

Am I right in thinking that 215/65 16 will not do on the Yeti?

All thoughts gratefully receieved!

Sangrail

I was thinking of using the 17" standard wheels in the summer, and switching to a 16" steel set with knobblier tyres for the slippery months. However, the General Grabber AT2s which I find so very effective on the Pinin are available only in 215/65 16, not 215/60.

Am I right in thinking that 215/65 16 will not do on the Yeti?

All thoughts gratefully receieved!

Sangrail

Hi,

would not advise running anything outside the recommended tyre sizes personally. For the winter months then a set of standard winter tyres like the Nokian WR G2 work very effectively. Also consider replacing the standard 17" sports tyres on delivery with all season, such as the Goodyear Vector 4season or the Nokian eNtyre. Both of which are being run in 225/50 R17 size by Yeti owners with good reviews of there winter performance.

Hope that helps,

TP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

what to do with those Winter/Summer tyres+wheels when not in use? I stack them using a device like this ... Tyre Tree you can get a cover too to prevent dust etc. I'm sure there

are other products out there - this is just one example.

I found stacking them on top on each other ( wheels + tyres ) in my shed caused a fair degree of condensation on the lower wheels during the winter months of storage.

The tyre tree seems to allow the air to circulate a bit more and reduces/prevents this.

Might be of use to others.

Graham

Edited by grahamar

Hi,

what to do with those Winter/Summer tyres+wheels when not in use? I stack them using a device like this ... Tyre Tree you can get a cover too to prevent dust etc. I'm sure there

are other products out there - this is just one example.

I found stacking them on top on each other ( wheels + tyres ) in my shed caused a fair degree of condensation on the lower wheels during the winter months of storage.

The tyre tree seems to allow the air to circulate a bit more and reduces/prevents this.

Might be of use to others.

Graham

Hi Graham,

many thanks will add to the guide :thumbup: hope your keeping well and your continuing to enjoy your Monster ownership :)

Regards,

TP

• 2 weeks later...

(Posted to several related Topics)

After all the help I've received I thought I'd try and give a little back. So I thought this link I've come across may be of use to those looking for extra (Winter) or alternate (Prettier!) wheels to fit the SM:

Wheel Fitment

Sandy

Winter Tyres, Rim’s & Snow Chains

Snow chains can be fitted onto the front or rear wheels and if necessary both front and rear at the same time.

Due to technical reasons Skoda state that only the rear wheels can be fitted with snow chains if the Yeti has the standard tyre sizes of 215/60 R 16 or 225/50 R17. Note: obviously fitting snow chains just on the rear axle is only suitable for 4x4 versions.

If you wish to fit snow chains to the front wheels then it is only permissible by changing the wheels to one of the following rim and tyre combinations (remember all four wheels must be fitted with the same rim and tyre size and tyre designation i.e. summer or winter for reasons of safety).

The pdf manual I've downloaded says:

Snow chains

When driving on wintry roads, snow chains improve not only traction, but also the braking performance.

The use of snow chains on vehicles with front-wheel drive and on vehicles with fourwheel drive differs.

Valid for vehicles with front-wheel drive Snow chains can only be mounted on the front wheels.

For technical reasons, it is only permissible to fit snow chains with the following wheel/tyre combinations:

Valid for vehicles with four-wheel drive

Snow chains can be used on the front wheels as on vehicles with front-wheel drive. “Valid for vehicles with front-wheel driveâ€.

In order to increase the traction (start-up properties), the use of snow chains is also technically permissible on the rear axle (this means on the front and rear axle at the

same time) for the following wheel/tyre combinations:

The way I read this (for 4wd) is Snow Chains should be put on the front wheels initially and if need be (and the tyre specifications conform to Skoda's advice) snow chains can be placed on the rear wheels. Reading to the letter of the word, Skoda don't appear to mention in the manual that snow chains can be placed solely on the rear wheels.

I mention all this because I'm new to this game of snow chains and I have no idea if the clever 'off road' gizmo and traction control favour front wheel traction in priority over rear wheel traction.

I could be talking absolute jibberish but it would be good if someone in the know (Plumber?) could put me straight on this. :thumbup:

Hi Sandy,

if the vehicle is fitted with either of the two standard rim/tyre combinations then due to clearance concerns conventional snow-chains cannot be fitted to the front wheels. however Skoda suggest they can instead be fitted to the standard rim/tyre combination at the rear. Obviously this will only work with the 4x4 and yes the system should send the power to the rear wheels with chains as slip is detected on the fronts.

Would probably be best however to fit the rim/tyres combinations that will except chains if your ever likely to require fitting them e.g. the High Alps :D

Regards,

TP

• 4 months later...

Really nice & helpful guide!

Question about rims for Yeti Greenline: would I be doing smth bad for the car and/or safety if I installed narrower rims 6.5J 16 ET 45 (Factory specifications are 7J 16 ET45)??

I'm about to purchase a set of winter tires and would like a set of "winter" rims as well. Skoda/VW originals are very pricey, and 7J 16 ET 45 aftermarkets are hard to find. I found good looking ENZO H alloys for 60 Euro/pc, but the are narrower by 0.5". So Im' thinking that if Greenline tires are narrower as well, maybe I would not be doing any harm at all?

Thank you!

Z.

I need a spare set of rims for my 4x4 Yeti for some winter tyres. There are quite a few secondhand Audi A4 etc about but most have an offset ET50 instead of the Yeti ET45. Does anyone know if fitting the ET50 will cause any problems.

Thanks Tom

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really useful guide but I'm a tad confused.

I contacted Blackcircles about a set of Goodyear Vector 4S for my Yeti but was told they were for Audi's only so not suitable - this was the V-rated version.

The specs for my tyres are 225/50 R17 98W, of which the W seems somewhat overkill.

So a few questions:

1. Can I still use the "Audi only" tyres?

2. If not, can I safely fit the H-rated Vector 4S tyres or other H-rated tyres?

3. Failing that, any other suggestions for All Weather tyres - I've seen Hankooks which look prety decent?

Btw, having a set of Winter tyres inst an option sadly.

Cheers.

This is a really useful guide but I'm a tad confused.

I contacted Blackcircles about a set of Goodyear Vector 4S for my Yeti but was told they were for Audi's only so not suitable - this was the V-rated version.

The specs for my tyres are 225/50 R17 98W, of which the W seems somewhat overkill.

So a few questions:

1. Can I still use the "Audi only" tyres?

2. If not, can I safely fit the H-rated Vector 4S tyres or other H-rated tyres?

3. Failing that, any other suggestions for All Weather tyres - I've seen Hankooks which look prety decent?

Btw, having a set of Winter tyres inst an option sadly.

Cheers.

Hi,

225/50 R17 94H Vector 4 Season or Nokian eNtyres (available from mytyres) should be fine for the Yeti; would only need the V rated if mapped although I'd probably go V with a standard 170 as well.

TP

Many thanks TP, it's a standard 140, so will check out the 94H rated and if I can't find those will settle on the 98Vs.

Bloomin' Blackcircles really confused me there.

Cheers.

Many thanks TP, it's a standard 140, so will check out the 94H rated and if I can't find those will settle on the 98Vs.

Bloomin' Blackcircles really confused me there.

Cheers.

Hi,

just checked mytyres and they have 94 V vectors at the moment but not H although there more expensive than the 98H which their also advertising.

TP

• 2 weeks later...

Back to wheel bolts - Anyone had any experience of ordering winter tyres and 16" steel rims from mytyres? Do the wheel bolts fit from the existing factory Yeti 17" alloys or do they need new ones? Any help appreciated - thanks.