Engine Coolant Warning Light

Yella

For some reason when I start my car the engine coolant light (the one that looks like a thermometer in some wavy lines!) comes on every time and then flashes forever. Usually if I give it 2 minutes and restart the engine it's fine. Awesome replaced the coolant temperature sensor because it was corroded about 4 months ago. It seems to drive fine. Any ideas?

EDIT - Apologies it's the Octy. Can't get used to being a 2 Skoda family!! The wife still refers to us having 2 cars, a Skoda and a Fabia.

Edited by Yella

For some reason when I start my car the engine coolant light (the one that looks like a thermometer in some wavy lines!) comes on every time and then flashes forever. Usually if I give it 2 minutes and restart the engine it's fine. Awesome replaced the coolant temperature sensor because it was corroded about 4 months ago. It seems to drive fine. Any ideas?

EDIT - Apologies it's the Octy. Can't get used to being a 2 Skoda family!! The wife still refers to us having 2 cars, a Skoda and a Fabia.

Check the header tank, the sensor in that goes after a while, also if the coolant level is low it can cause it to react like your describing.

Steve

You ll need a new header tank, no great drama, they are around the £30 mark from memory and take about 5 mins to fit emoticon-0148-yes.gif

You ll need a new header tank, no great drama, they are around the £30 mark from memory and take about 5 mins to fit emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Hi

Yes did my fella`s one on his Octy last year

Only took a few mins to do , and we lost no coolant eiither

IIRC 1Jo 121 403B is the part number and cost £10 ish for the part

Not a big job , and stops the noise and lights for good

Sarah

2 minutes!? Mine only does it sometimes, if it's cold enough to trip the MFD to ambient temp mode, and will go away if I run the engine for 30s, stop the engine and switch right off, then restart.

Well maybe not 2 minutes then? But if I start the engine and it lights up then I immediately turn it off and restart, it usually comes back on again. What I tend to do is drive to the end of the estate and then restart the engine.

Cheers for the replies though guys. It's got it's 100k service very soon so I'll leave it until then unless you think it needs remedying sooner. 98200 and counting now!!

Similar to the faulty oil pressure sensor I had done on my wife's car recently, the only risk you run by ignoring the light is if you really DO have a problem! Short of checking under the bonnet every time you get in, you're probably alright carrying on like you have, stopping and restarting the car after you've driven a short distance. :)

Well, my wife's did a handful of short runs sans liquide de refroidissement last winter after I messed up fitting a new thermostat. No lasting damage has become apparent in the meantime...

Ah, I was under the impression it was a temperature sensor, not a level sensor.

Such is the way with multi-purpose warning lights! 'Coolant' covers temperature and level; 'Oil' covers pressure and level; 'EPC' / 'glowplug' covers most of the rest of the sensors. Any wonder I have a code reader in the car, and a copy of VAG-COM on the laptop?!?!

• 2 years later...

Hi, i am having the same problem but in addition to this the fuel level indicator also doest work while the temp. warning light is on. Has anyone experienced this problem with the fuel level indicator as well while the temperature parning light is flashing?

• 3 months later...

Hi

Yes did my fella`s one on his Octy last year

Only took a few mins to do , and we lost no coolant eiither

IIRC 1Jo 121 403B is the part number and cost £10 ish for the part

Not a big job , and stops the noise and lights for good

Sarah

Not always for good Sarah. Did our Fab a year or so back & it's just started again :wall:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...