Steering Angle Sensor Removal How To

chopperj

Could any one give a good guide of how to remove a steering angel sensor as it seem to be a very common issue with most VW based cars and in particular the Fabia 1 any diagrams or steps how to access it safely and easily would be I'm sure a great help to the community.

This should may be pinned as as far as i can tell is the most common fault with the Fabia range and seems to be a DIY friendly job to both cure and diagnose some annoying faults

Please Help

PS: Based on experience and 'site wisdom', poor battery condition can lead to symptoms similar to those attributed to PAS sensor failure, and it is probably worth making sure you've confirmed it's not that before replacing the sensor...

There is a good guide on Tom's site, fabia-vrs.com. I'm not sure it's anything like as common a fault as leaky doors - which is also covered there...

HTH

thats a realy great site thanks for that ap0gee

do you no where in the site the steering angel sensor section is found i did see the pas sensor removal section but not the steering angel sensor one thanks

PS: Based on experience and 'site wisdom', poor battery condition can lead to symptoms similar to those attributed to PAS sensor failure, and it is probably worth making sure you've confirmed it's not that before replacing the sensor...

i have a 000816 fault form the ecu when plugged in would that negate the battery issue or is it still a good idea to test it first

The PAS sensor is what you're looking for! :)

Here is an explanation of your 00816 code:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/00816

...and fair enough, it points to the sensor being at fault. If your battery doesn't have a 'magic eye', it might still be worth checking it out, although the recent cold weather would probably have told you whether the battery was duff or not, to be honest...

one thing to note is there is a brand new power steering pump fit-ed only a moth ago buy the garage were i bought it before i got it. along with a new alternator and belt as i spoke to the mech that caryed out the work and he was the one who ran diagnostics and pointed me towards the steering angel sensor behind the wheel

thanks so much for your help BTW

I think you've misread Tom's guide. That first pic / instruction relates to the connector at the other end of the cable that the PAS sensor is connected to! The sensor is on the rack, at the end of the steering column; not behind the wheel. What's been described by the mechanic sounds like the ABS sensor???

o relay he described it as a circular sensor behind the steering wheel so its at the end of the column were it meets the rack is it i see any good tips on weather one can disconnect or remove it and see if the lights keep flickering or will doing some thing like this cause more harm than good? Im just trying the trouble shoot to see if i cant identifi the root of the flicker to be sure

I can't think what your mechanic's describing...

The diagnostics code points pretty definitely at the sensor, but you could always disconnect it at the PAS pump end (as described at the beginning of Tom's guide, like we discussed earlier), and see if anything changes. If it doesn't make any difference, then it'll be the sensor or the connections...

yes steering sensor is located in the stem of the rack the wiring is about 4 tf long and plugs directly into the pump unless you have a very late car.

sensor is probly full of water/condensation

you guys are the best and im a bit Happyer not having to go near the steering wheel at all and i can much around with the wiring in the engine bay instead to try and see if any thing changes

any one no any were to get some diagrams of the assembly for the steering rack end of things

I was given to understand that there are two PAS sensors on some cars (with xenon lights) - the PAS sensor and the steering angle sensor, both of which can give flickering lights on full lock if they are dodgy. As has already been stated, bad batteries and poor charging also give the same symptoms.

I removed the fuse to The power stearing pump fuse 5 and no mote flickering and every things seems better is it safe to drive with it out for a few day may be 2 weeks till I can get the dosh for the parts I need? Will I strain or damage any thing buy driveing it with out the fuse in at all for tow weeks And that being sead is it a good idea as the flickering and pump noise are getting worce and I'm conserend about the fault damageing the pump or other systems on the car

In terms of there being two sensors, all I can think of is the yaw sensor on cars with ESP, but all this does is allow the ECU to determine the difference between the car's direction of travel and the way the front wheels are pointing. As regards flickering only at full lock, I believe the flickering will occur at all times when the PAS sensor has gone, because it sends spurious signals to the PAS pump, making it activate and shut off repeatedly and in quick succession. As the pump draws around 60A, it's going to make heavy drains on the electrical supply of anyone's car! The lights going dim during steering input (and especially at full lock) by contrast is therefore normal, particularly if you are manouevring with the engine at idle. I note that the OP hasn't actually made any mention of problems with the headlights; just the fault code, by the way!

Coming back to the yaw sensor, however, ESP works on the brakes not the steering, so I can't see how that would throw up the fault code mentioned at the beginning of the post.

In response to the question, however, if you take the fuse out, all you're doing is stepping back in time twenty years and driving a car without power steering. Hard work, but not dangerous as far as I know...

If you're having to save up for the work, I really would recommend double-checking the condition of the battery just to be sure. If the battery's more than four or five years old, you'll be on borrowed time as it is, so you'd only have to replace it sooner or later anyway. Plus, you'd obviously know for certain that it was a problem with the power steering and not the battery, of course!

Just my 2ps...

thanks for the advice mate i drove my car home last night and back into work this morning about 40 miles with the fuse out and she runs much much better the engine ticks over better and the mpg is much better i averaged 52.7mpg on the trip apposed to yesterdays 23.9mpg so seems to be a lot better on the engine with out the pump draining power all the time. Im a big guy 17 stone 6 foot 4 and the power steering being off isn't relay causing me any issue and in fact when cornering at speed it is a lot nicer to feel the road and the angel of the car better. the only thing im worried about is weather this is placing any extra pressure on the pump or the steering rack or any thing like that if i drive it like this for a few weeks.

Also if there are to sensors to the system one on the steering rack and the other at the pump whats the best way to figure out which one is gone. That being said the pump is new and was only fitter a few weeks ago before i bought the car so might this imply that its the sensor on the steering rack more likely

Also if there are to sensors to the system one on the steering rack and the other at the pump whats the best way to figure out which one is gone. That being said the pump is new and was only fitter a few weeks ago before i bought the car so might this imply that its the sensor on the steering rack more likely

No, you're still misunderstanding, I'm afraid. The connector at the pump end isn't another sensor; it's the other end of the cable that the sensor's attached to. I think you need to forget about there being two sensors, as to the best of my knowledge, there aren't - at least not that could throw up an 00816 fault code. The whole thing needs replacing if the sensor's gone, as the sensor can't be detached from the cable.

It's definitely worth checking the connection is sound at the pump end and then putting the power steering fuse back in - if only to rule out a dodgy connection!

ahhh it sinks in so its all one sensor and any thing short of bad connection means that the sensor is gone that make life so much more simple now im going to check it all over on Saturday and then if im sure its not just a bit of bad wiring ill order the sensor would any one have a good on-line resource to buy the for-mentioned sensor at a good rate it will cost me about 90€ in vat here in Dublin Ireland from Skoda.

I think you need to make sure you're getting the right part before you order it, as I don't think they're compatible between the different types of PAS pump. Can't be more help than that, I'm afraid...

i wonder then when im ordering if other than giving skoda my chasey number that i should give them any info i can on the new pump ie serial number or some thing like that so they can tell what pump it is and match the sensor to that and not just the car

Unless the car's had a complete power steering system from another car fitted at some point, the chassis number will be fine for a dealer or a motor factor - it just wouldn't necessarily be enough information if you were going to order the part over the internet...

also if you were to disconnect the sensor from the pump the pump would then work in emergancy mode and give you some assistance. also you run the risk of damaging something by running the rack manually as it could start sucking air past the seals in the ram

• Like 1