Tuning box vs re-map

Hi

Looking for more real world power (i.e. overtaking oomph) from my Skoda Octavia 140 PD - tuning boxes look cheap but re-map looks more effective although lots of big promises either way - recomendations for reliable suppliers or re-map tuners in the North East/Yorshire please.

Dave F (Ripon)

Hi

Looking for more real world power (i.e. overtaking oomph) from my Skoda Octavia 140 PD - tuning boxes look cheap but re-map looks more effective although lots of big promises either way - recomendations for reliable suppliers or re-map tuners in the North East/Yorshire please.

Dave F (Ripon)

hi

i got my remap done by alan in darlington it was a revo remap what he does not know isn't worth knowing

he was fantastic here is his web site http://www.mk4golfcentre.co.uk/revo.htm

and i would choose a remap over a tuning box any day

I have tried both digital tuning boxes and remap on my Fabia Vrs, My opinion is go for the remap every time. The tuning box worked but was very one off and was by no means smooth when accelerating at anything less than full power. The remap i have gives a brilliant power curve and drives excellently

Resistors are cheap for a reason. Tuning boxes are crude and can be expensive in my experience. Remap changes many parameters and gives the best experience

Although not that close. Performance torque in Wolverhampton are brilliant and i have a superb map. Mine made 170 hp and 294lbs and has not missed i beat in the last 12 months....

However, a tuning box can be removed it ten minutes and sold for a small fortune

Edited by Mattcooper79

If you go for a remap, don't expect improved economy unless you drive like a nun. Definately more "overtaking oomph" though :D

I was initially disappointed with my remap as I'd heard people had seen their mpg go above 50. Mine dropped by about 5 mpg, and for the first 3000 miles I averaged 39mpg. It's now up to about 43mpg ish, so not so bad. However, I do like using the power. I'd guess I now have similar power to a 2.5V6 (possibly a tad more), though with better economy, so I am happy.

Mine is a PD130, so can't speak for the 140..

Hey mate,

I did a remap on my Superb 130 TDI. I've added the read out from the test. It's pretty fast now and the economy has improved slightly too, which is win sauce.

Superb.pdf

Edited by Cown

Just to play devil's advocate here, not all tuning boxes are bad.

True, you get a lot of bad ones. The ones on eBay for £5 - £40 are basically just resistors and aren't worth even considering. However there are some out there that are pretty good. I run a Dragon box and have done for the last 18 months. Gives a lot more power over standard and barely effect economy when driven carefully. In fact, looking at a few people rolling road readouts, Dragon tuning boxes have given more power than a remap.

Take tonight for example, had a blast with a friend (a member on here as it happens). He runs a MK4 VW Golf 1.9Tdi 150bhp Anniversary. Now he's a VW mastertech so his car runs sweet. We had a bit of a run and they were very evenly matched. Bear in mind his motor will weigh a lot less than a Superb. Right up to 120 mph it was neck and neck. At lower speeds he reckons my car might have edge in power terms ... I'm not sure I agree with this though, I wasn't gaining any ground on him. At higher speeds I reckon his has the legs on mine, but that could well be down to the fact his is a 6-speed box so the gears ratios are better suited.

I'm planning a remap later this year myself. BUT originally I got the tuning box to see what the typical power gains felt like ... and I still have a tuning box to sell at the end of the day. You can't resell a map.

Listening to most, a remap is the way to go .... and based on that I'd probably agree if your budget allows. However, if you can find a GOOD tuning box for around £100-£200 then you can always give it a try and resell it later on.

Edited by allclownsareevi

True, you get a lot of bad ones. The ones on eBay for £5 - £40 are basically just resistors and aren't worth even considering. However there are some out there that are pretty good. I run a Dragon box and have done for the last 18 months. Gives a lot more power over standard and barely effect economy when driven carefully. In fact, looking at a few people rolling road readouts, Dragon tuning boxes have given more power than a remap.

Take tonight for example, had a blast with a friend (a member on here as it happens). He runs a MK4 VW Golf 1.9Tdi 150bhp Anniversary. Now he's a VW mastertech so his car runs sweet. We had a bit of a run and they were very evenly matched. Bear in mind his motor will weigh a lot less than a Superb. Right up to 120 mph it was neck and neck. At lower speeds he reckons my car might have edge in power terms ... I'm not sure I agree with this though, I wasn't gaining any ground on him. At higher speeds I reckon his has the legs on mine, but that could well be down to the fact his is a 6-speed box so the gears ratios are better suited.

I'm planning a remap later this year myself. BUT originally I got the tuning box to see what the typical power gains felt like ... and I still have a tuning box to sell at the end of the day. You can't resell a map.

Listening to most, a remap is the way to go .... and based on that I'd probably agree if your budget allows. However, if you can find a GOOD tuning box for around £100-£200 then you can always give it a try and resell it later on.

Box is for giving you a cheap result of what the remap does.

Remap gives you a car specific tune, which will not destroy or shorten the life of your car, together with giving you a better fuel economy and smoother ride.

Box is for giving you a cheap result of what the remap does.

Remap gives you a car specific tune, which will not destroy or shorten the life of your car, together with giving you a better fuel economy and smoother ride.

To be fair you've just gone and repeated exactly what I said haven't you. It gives similar result at a cheaper price. It's precisely the reason I got the box to be honest, I wanted to see what effect the power gains had on the car.

Resistored boxes will do exactly what you said, they often cause other problems after a time and everyone should steer well clear of them - without exception. Microprocessor boxes fine tune fuelling. Also with the Dragon boxes the economy is improved as long as you're not giving it a foot full all the time. Click my signature and check out my MPG.

Mine's been breathed on by a top quality tuner near Wolverhampton. For a 2.5V6 TDi I am getting better performance, more positive shifting on the Tiptronic box and better MPG. Yesterday I drove down to Bridgend from Cheshire via the A49 and averaged 39.4 mpg, and whilst not driving like a loon, was not hanging around. Thos figures are calculated on my Garmin using eco routes / fuel used / fuel cost etc so is pretty accurate.

Not bad at all from a V6. On the general topic, a good tuning box will do the job, but a remap can be tweaked / customised to your own needs. I have always had fantastic results from Performance Torque near Wolverhampton, for LESS money than the retail price on a Tunit box.

Awesome GTi are not so far from you, just over t't Pennines and are doing custom remaps at a very reasonable price.

As for faults / failures with remaps / tuning boxes, most of the problems occur because of the seat to steering wheel interface having the mechanical sympathy of D1ck Dastardly (or even Mutley), driven normally / sensibly should not result in imminent destruction and grinding of cogs.

Floor it constantly on a cold motor, cold turbo from 1k RPM and you deserve it :)

Edited by Fluffmeister

Haha was a good bit of spirited driving to be honest and at sections yours did have a slight edge, might be due to you flooring it seconds before i did or visa versa but to be fair both cars were pretty much evenly matched (for now anyways)

as stated tho numerious times remaps are always better but people need to be aware that alot of tuning companies that remap ecus do so with a set map, esp ones that do onsite remapping, these are not bespoke remaps tailored to your own vehicle and have been made to go across a wide range of motors

some are very good but to get the best bang for your buck you want it rolling roaded while its being mapped, R-Tech have an awesome rep and do an awesome job of remapping motors

to be fair tho clowns i think what helped me more lastnight was the fact I dont have the turning and rolling capability of the QE2 like yours does haha :giggle:

to be fair tho clowns i think what helped me more lastnight was the fact I dont have the turning and rolling capability of the QE2 like yours does haha :giggle:

It was evened out by the fact your car has to carry your immense weight around. Swings and roundabouts fella.. ;)

Here's the improvement I gained after £200 and a couple of hours at P-Torque Wolverhampton................ this was just the 'general' remap giving me more power, gob loads more torque and better economy. If I wanted I could have had it mapped for pure economy, but the way it is I'm well chuffed..........the PD130 in this state is a fine engine

Dynooriginal.jpg