Octavia 1.9tdi starting problems

OK... can anyone shed any light on this bit of darkness!

Stripped it for a third time (and then a fourth and a fifth time) today.

What I had decided to do was to take the motor from the scrapper and put it on the nose cone/mechanism and solenoid from the original. I notice that there is a difference in the nose cone - the scrapper has a bit of a chamfer to it, the original does have one - but very small in comparison (not damage - definite casting differences).

Slotted together like a dream - tested the unit - perfect.

So - fit it to the car, hand tighten the bolts - fire it up - BEAUTIFUL! Turn it off, fire it up again - AGAIN, PERFECTION.

So I am like the man in the advert - I am feeling absolutely epic. I tighten everything up, refit the battery tray, secure the battery. Before I refit the undertray and bring her down - I decide to start her up a final time - CLICK.... the single click - the single click that I had right at the bloody outset.

So I disconnect everything again - checking as I go... I take her off again - inspect it - fit it back again - hand tighten, connect to power - CLICK.

I do the electrical tests again: NO ISSUES - 13.6 v at the ignition switch/S-post; 14 v power, no earth fault.

What is wrong with this bloody car?!

Take a jump lead and connect it from battery +ve to the large +ve terminal bolt on the starter (be careful not to touch ground!).

You have an earth and terminal 50 connection or you wouldn't get a click. This test will exclude a faulty battery to starter cable.

Battery positive is fine.

Definitely no 'whirr' - or at least none that I can hear from the other side of the engine bay as I reach in to turn the key - just a relatively quiet click.

The scrapper started first time EVERY time.

I took the mechanical part from the one that didn't sound like a bag of spanners (the original) and put it on the scrapper motor. It works first time, second time - and then (after securing everything and putting everything back in place) it doesn't.

It has to be the solenoid - which is the one from the original - right?

[edited bit: I'm assuming it is the feed from the solenoid to the motor casing. Some sort of fault there. It isn't the cable - because the cable is from the motor housing that was on the scrapper. So, I'm thinking that it has to be inside the solenoid where it connects to that cable.]

It doesn't look possible to swap that over from the scrapper to the original - or is it?

Edited by JohnKH

• 9 years later...

Hi, I had a rough start on my Octavia MK1 with ASV engine, tried couple of things but not helped.

Once accidentally lose my brake fluid from master cylinder. Resolve the problem and remove the air from master cylinder removed the EGR. It was full of dirt AND the valve was blocked.

In that time I helped to somebody to repair a broken water pipe with same engine. Indeed the guy looked after my Octi and said my vacuum pump leaking the oil and not make enough vacuum to start my blocked valve.

I cleaned the vacuum pump and bonded with 2 component metal bond on the top where the oil leaked saved about 200 Euro.

Cleaned the EGR and air intake manifold and NOW she is starting when turning the key, problem solved.