Central locking problem Octavia (again)

Any suggestions?..........Drivers door,fob will not operate,also master lock on door not working.Lock mechanism replaced....door courtesy light,dash (open)indicator light only returned to operation.Key in drivers door opens/closes all.Mirrors....switch in L or R position controls Left only!!! Garage cannot find break in wiring.......Any good reason why the lock supply wires (pair)could not be paralleled back to r/h rere door?

Thanks

Any suggestions?..........Drivers door,fob will not operate,also master lock on door not working.Lock mechanism replaced....door courtesy light,dash (open)indicator light only returned to operation.Key in drivers door opens/closes all.Mirrors....switch in L or R position controls Left only!!! Garage cannot find break in wiring.......Any good reason why the lock supply wires (pair)could not be paralleled back to r/h rere door?

Thanks

This sounds like the old central convenience unit problem, rather than door lock. Try taking off the door card, and get a look at the black connector to the window motor. You will need to lift a clip on the loom end before the connector can be seperated. My guess is corrosion to the pins of the loom and connector. If its not too bad clean the pins of any oxidation, and apply WD40 before reconnecting. If it's gone too far, then you may need a new loom and central convenience controller. Click the link below to see the connector in question.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/154117-central-locking-problems/

Edited by pdhealy
  • Like 1

This sounds like the old central convenience unit problem, rather than door lock. Try taking off the door card, and get a look at the black connector to the window motor. You will need to lift a clip on the loom end before the connector can be seperated. My guess is corrosion to the pins of the loom and connector. If its not too bad clean the pins of any oxidation, and apply WD40 before reconnecting. If it's gone too far, then you may need a new loom and central convenience controller. Click the link below to see the connector in question.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/154117-central-locking-problems/

¬pdhealy¬ Thanks for that.In the event that this is the convenience problem why not link the lock with a 2-core wire to the rere r/h door lock (behind panels).Would this not solve actuator function?

Brendan

h

Your problem will be with the plug going into the drivers door control modual not the door lock mechanism itself. It is this control modual that makes the electric mirror switch work, lights left on alarm etc. Have a look at the big plug that goes into the controll modual it is also the main modual for central locks and windows, If the plug looks ok try to take a picture of where the plug plugs in to see if any pins are damaged.

Its this area that is very common for water ingress andits usualy the water thats got into this plug, clean with wd40 see if that helps.

Dont know about this but have you had a look at the drivers door wires as they pass through the a pillar as these can break here also.

Hope this helps...keep us posted on how you get on.

I have just noticed I have repeated what PD Healy says :no: If it is water if its not to bad wrap some water proof self magatating tape around the connector block just to make sure the water cant get in there again.

You may find that cleaning it up will solve it but as what happened to me if some of the pins are shot you may lose certain functions, hope you get it sorted.

I have just noticed I have repeated what PD Healy says :no: If it is water if its not to bad wrap some water proof self magatating tape around the connector block just to make sure the water cant get in there again.

You may find that cleaning it up will solve it but as what happened to me if some of the pins are shot you may lose certain functions, hope you get it sorted.

justinbarrow..........thanks for advive.As i said problem was Actuator not working......wiring checked as far as possible,connector clean, no water/corrosion.Ran 2-core wire thro` doors and body connected into actuator wires ,drivers door and R/H rere.All working now lock+indicator light+door master switch. Used wiring diagram from Haynes Manual.I carried out same operation on 1999 octavia some years ago which was also successful.

R/H mirror is still dead, as it was in previous job.

Brendan.

justinbarrow..........thanks for advive.As i said problem was Actuator not working......wiring checked as far as possible,connector clean, no water/corrosion.Ran 2-core wire thro` doors and body connected into actuator wires ,drivers door and R/H rere.All working now lock+indicator light+door master switch. Used wiring diagram from Haynes Manual.I carried out same operation on 1999 octavia some years ago which was also successful.

R/H mirror is still dead, as it was in previous job.

HI Brendan,

I have a similar prob with my ocy ( also have a recent post on here too) are you saying that you have done a quick fix to get the lock remotely opening again ? instead of replying the control unit ? I have tried looking for water ingress and tried a different lock motor none of which has helped - if this is so could you explain it a little bit simpler for a non technical person like me

:o cheers

• 1 month later...

I have a Skoda Octavia 2004. The right hand door mirror isn't working only the left one is and the central locking is not working on the key fob nor is the central locking button inside the car. I have replaced the actuator/window motor which was suggested to me as a possible fix for the problem. There was some water in the plug and some of the pins were rusted on the old actuator/window motor. I also cleaned the plug on the harness and sprayed WD40 on to it. However, this has not solved the problem. Do I need to replace the door harness?

Cheers

door loom for starters and if this doesn't cure it you'll need new central convenience unit too! approx £90 for loom and £200 for ccu - i'd try loom first

Sorry, I worded my post badly. I have actually replaced the CCU, I will try the door loom next. Thanks for your help.

• 4 months later...

Did you get around to replacing the loom?

I've had similar problems, replaced the CCU, my door 'lights on' light now works again but the heated mirror and door lock are still not working. Don't know if i should get the loom done or install a new lock.

• 4 years later...

I drive a Skoda Octavia 2004 1.9tdi

Typical VAG key. Never had any problems with my remote central locking until i starting using the middle button to open the boot.
Now the remote will not unlock the doors and the red light on the door stays lit for 30 seconds.
All other buttons are still working ie: lock button & boot button but not the unlock button.
Anyone know how to reset or fix the central locking? Thanks in advance.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had this issue recently. Replaced the wiring loom in drivers door and the control module that connects the main loom plug to the window reg motor. All is working now

How much are the parts these days?

I initially posted in this related thread ....

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/154117-central-locking-problems/

...5 years ago, at which time I was quoted (from Skoda main dealer) £470 to fix this (this being corroded pins in male & female parts due to water ingress/corrosion of pins).

This meant the remote worked on all but the drivers door, plus loss of 1 or 2 other minor electrical functions (lights on warning buzzer etc).

We did not pay the £470 on a £2k (now 1K) car & have been using the key since.(which recently caused the lock to break with the key stuck inside it, but that another story).

From reading other posts in this thread, most from about 4 or 5 years ago, the parts themselves were about £280 to £290, I'm hoping you will reply & say they have come down in price significantly.....

Edited by Jonathan_1.8T

Most of us go used on these things as they're silly money. The module will need coding with vag com if not an exact match, would still work out MUCH cheaper. You could try soldering new pins in? Some have managed to do so pretty effectively.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Dear all,

I have problem with my Skoda Octavia mk1 2003. When I locked or unlocked the car turn light doesn't flashing. I read many topics here and check many items. When I press locking key on my key all doors are properly locked and secure light in the drivers door are flasing. On the instrument table no any signal who indicate that some of door are open. Only what I didn't checked was a boonet microswitch. I noticed when I open the bonnet I didn't have any signalization on the instrument table. If that reason why the turn lights doesn't flashing? 

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

My car is a 2003 Octavia 1.9tdi that has done >170K

About 5 weeks ago one of the cables in the driver's door window regulator snapped. I obtained a new one and watched while my usual trusted mechanic fitted it very carefully. When it was all put back together again the electric window worked fine, but the remote would not lock/unlock the drivers door, the driver's door mirror could not be adjusted remotely and the red LED.

to show the alarm was activated didn't work!!

Due to shortage of time we decided to investigate these problems on another day since I could always lock the car using the key nd adjust the mirror manually.

After a week had passed I noticed that provided the car had been left locked for at least 3 hours then it was possible to unlock the driver's door using the remote - you couldn't lock it again and if it was locked with the key it wouldn't open again - strange. A week later I became aware that when the driver's door had been opened remotely then sometimes (for about 30 seconds) it was possible to operate the door mirror remotely. It was still impossible to lock the driver's door remotely and there was no sign of life from the red LED After a further week it became possible to lock the driver's door remotely about one time in every ten attempts.

A week ago I approached the card to open it at the end of a day's work and noticed that the red LED was flashing. Door opened remotely, mirror works just as it should, and door locked remotely. Since then everything has worked perfectly as if it had never gone wrong.  Do Skodas heal themsleves?  All very strange.

• 7 months later...

Happy New Year!  For some ......................

2003 Octavia Estate. Boot door not worked remotely for around 6 months.......... no real problem.

Then it decided to remain locked when key was used in driver's door. It still opens ok with key in boot lid, so there again, no real problem.

My BIG problem is the nearside rear door. It has been un-locking intermittently using the key fob for around 3 months. The master door lock on drivers armrest always overcame this, so again, no real problem. I could always unlock the door.

Around a week ago, the armrest switch decided it wasn't going to unlock the rear passenger door, and so it's been permanently locked for the full 7 days.

Everything else works on the car, electric windows, interior lights, electric mirrors, red flashing light on driver's door lock. I don't anything else that's not working correctly.

After scouring this forum, I've just been out and bashed the door whilst operating the key fob. The lock opened!

I locked it again remotely, but it wouldn't open again without being thumped a few times. (I'm not exactly sure where to hit it)

I locked the car using the key in the Boot Lid. The rear door stayed unlocked, but that doesn't bother me too much. At least I don't have to break in to work on anything. I can't see this being a particularly difficult fix, but would appreciate other members opinions?

I'm off to the garage after the New Years hols.

What does anyone suggest that I suggest to the mechanic?

Thanks for reading, and I hope you can help.

Edited by dexyowl

• 2 years later...

I have been avoiding this problem for many months due to the multitude of probable causes and the cost of a Comfort Control Unit, but after having read the threads about not neglecting corroded pins and with the bad weather coming, I though I had better bite the bullet and investigate. Faults: Remote key has gone from intermittently working to not operating the door locks any more, in spite of new batteries in both fobs, which gave me a week of success in one key and none in the other. I got by with the actual key and that worked fine for a couple of months, until the doors unlocked themselves again on releasing the key and all the windows go down in panic mode. Not good if you are in town in the rain. Pulling the key upwards on releasing it from the lock worked for a bit but yesterday that failed too. Having watched several you tube vids on how to remove the door card I had a go. Once inside, I firstly checked all the plugs. All clean, no corrosion. WD40 and replaced. It would seem that the problem lies with the door lock accumulator. Apparently this is a common VAG fault due to the sensitivity of the 3 micro switches inside. I enclose a link to a Vid I found on Youtube.

I am going to have a go at cleaning the micro switches and we will see. I will report back. I have given up on the remote, but will hopefully get the drivers door working again as locking the car via the boot key is a pain.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
12 hours ago, Chrisblack said:

Has anyone got any pictures of this or videos of how to fix??

Have you looked on YouTube? There are videos for replacing door locks on there. Not sure about replacing wiring or CCM.