1.6 CR Cambelt intervals

Anybody know the cambelt change interval on the 1.6CR yet? - hopefully its extended from the the ridiculous 40,000 mile that the PD had. Also any idea of cost of changing the cambelt (and tensioners etc) on this engine?

Thinking of buying soon but I'm worried that the extra costs of servicing plus the DPF/DMF risks outweigh the economy advantage of this diesel engine over say the 1.2tsi petrol.

If it has the latest technology "high flex" Continental ( Contitech) toothed belt you may be in for a pleasant surprise . My 2009 Golf MK6 has the 1.6TDI 105bhp engine and the recommended belt change interval is 300,000Km ( approx 200,000 Miles) ! It will be a brave man who leaves it this long ! There is no time limit mentioned in the VW manual.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

If it has the latest technology "high flex" Continental ( Contitech) toothed belt you may be in for a pleasant surprise . My 2009 Golf MK6 has the 1.6TDI 105bhp engine and the recommended belt change interval is 300,000Km ! It will be a brave man who leaves it this long !

WOW! That´s a lot of Km!!!. BTW, do you know if this technology is related to the belt, to the engine or to both of them? I mean, I have a petrol 1.6 and when the time to change it comes, do you know if it is possible to change the standard one for this one or for a similar one?

Thanks in advance.

If it has the latest technology "high flex" Continental ( Contitech) toothed belt you may be in for a pleasant surprise . My 2009 Golf MK6 has the 1.6TDI 105bhp engine and the recommended belt change interval is 300,000Km ( approx 200,000 Miles) ! It will be a brave man who leaves it this long ! There is no time limit mentioned in the VW manual.

That would be fantastic news and in line with Continentals long standing claim for cambelts that last the life of the engine (but now seem to have been removed from their website).

Puesso, the Continental cambelt system depends on special designs - sprockets etc. - they are not circular and the tooth pitch is also not the same as the belt (IIRC). Something to do with the dynamics of the belt.

So I doubt you could upgrade an old engine to this tech.

Edited by xman

• 5 weeks later...

To counter my previous enthusiasm, I've been told today that the 1.6CR as fitted in the Skoda range has a 110,000 mile :yes: but.....wait for it.....or a 4 year interval :doh:

Not good.....I expect it will be a £500 job in 4 years time (the engine bay in an Octavia looks very tight).

I expect this is a Skoda UK or VAG UK diktat.

Further to my previous post , attached below is the original Continental ContiTech press release concerning the new "high Flex" belt construction . Please note that the 180,000Km testing was the duration of the test as of that date, further testing followed on from this .

No time duration limit is specified in my MK6 Golf 1.6 TDI makers manual. But please bear in mind that VAG keep updating servicing information all the time.

ContiTech develops belts for lifetime use

in common rail engines

CONTI® Diesel Runner timing belt • Used as standard in the new VW Golf

Hanover, February 2009. The ContiTech Power Transmission Group has developed the first-ever timing belt intended for lifetime use for VW common rail engines. The CONTI®

DIESEL RUNNER is used as standard in the diesel engine of the new VW Golf, the first VW diesel engine to meet the EURO 5 Standard.

In common-rail engines, the CONTI® DIESEL RUNNER transmits the force of the crankshaft to the camshaft via the common-rail pump. The high flexing frequency poses particular chal-lenges for the belt’s flexibility. Hermann Schulte, Head of Research and Development at the ContiTech Power Transmission Group, explained that “By using new, thinner cord types, the CONTI® DIESEL RUNNER possesses the necessary improved bending fatigue strength. A special elastomer compound also makes the belt cold-stable to temperatures down to minus 32°C.” The CONTI® DIESEL RUNNER has already clocked more than 180,000 kilometers on the VW-own engine test bench and thus demonstrated that it can last for an entire engine life. This makes ContiTech’s timing belt the first belt in a VW diesel engine intended for life-time use.

Following a two-year development period, VW Tiguan diesel engines were fitted with

ContiTech’s new timing belts at the start of 2008. The market launch of the sixth generation of Golf cars also marked the start of the mass use of the CONTI® DIESEL RUNNER by the Wolfsburg car manufacturers.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

To counter my previous enthusiasm, I've been told today that the 1.6CR as fitted in the Skoda range has a 110,000 mile :yes: but.....wait for it.....or a 4 year interval :doh:

Not good.....I expect it will be a £500 job in 4 years time (the engine bay in an Octavia looks very tight).

As far as I know it's the same engine in the Octavia as for the MK6 Golf.

The 1.6 CR TDI engine is a lot smaller than the 1.9PD engine so there is more space in the engine bay.

• 3 months later...

Anybody know the cambelt change interval on the 1.6CR yet? - hopefully its extended from the the ridiculous 40,000 mile that the PD had. Also any idea of cost of changing the cambelt (and tensioners etc) on this engine?

Thinking of buying soon but I'm worried that the extra costs of servicing plus the DPF/DMF risks outweigh the economy advantage of this diesel engine over say the 1.2tsi petrol.

Just wondered what did u decide to buy after (if u have bought that is), as I'm thinking along the same lines.

Thanks

The 1.6TDI CR 105 bhp engine in the Golf MK6 has a cambelt replacement interval of 300,000Km ( approx 200,000 miles) with no time specified. Cambelt is new design by Continental (ContiTech) which is "High Flex" design. ContiTech introduced this belt with much publicity & fanfare with details of extensive testing.

Don't know what Skoda interval is but it's the same engine.

• 7 months later...

Where did you get this from?

I have just looked at the service schedule booklet for my new Fabia, which has the 1.6TDi CR engine in 105PS configuration.

The booklet is for both the Fabia and the Roomster and the numbers on the back are

S00.5530.22.20

5J6 012 009 FA

This states

• Every 90,000km (~56,000 miles) then every 30,000km (~19,000 miles)
    • Inspect toothed belt (4-cylinder petrol engines, except 1.6ltr / 77kW engine)

• Every 210,000km (~130,000 mile)
    • Replace toothed belt (diesel engines)

Nowhere are time limits mentioned for the toothed belt.

The 4 year comment will be as usual.. Incorrect info from dealer scaring customers into having something done that doesnt need doing.

I know someone with a 52 reg golf pd on the original belt. Ive been nagging him for a couple of years now to get it changed but currently is 5 years overdue from its '4 year' life. Be intetesting to see what its condition is in when its changed.