gearbox oil?

HELP!

I'm working at Benfield at the moment.

I'm having to drive to work early in the mornings; but on cold mornings my 1.8t 5 speed gearbox can be stiff and notchy.

I've been advised by a Skoda mechanic at another branch to change the gearbox oil...

I wantt to upgrade from the oe oil. sea75w-90 gl4 semi synth.

A GL5 rating was stated to be the upgrade.

Has anyone used a sea75w-90 gl5 fully synth oil in theres? If so what brand?

I can buy Millers from work, but I'm thinking of the Mobil oil (Mobilube).

Can anyone shed some light?

If I were you I would try the Genuine Skoda G52 oil. I tried Fuchs and it was notchy as hell, had to change back to a fresh batch of G52 and all was great again.

It's the only oil that is specifically designed for the car that is 100% known to work and it's cheap.

Can somebody help me????

I’m working at benfield at the moment and I’m having to drive to work early in the mornings, On cold mornings my 1.8t 5speed gearbox can be stiff and notchy. I’ve been advised by a Skoda mechanic at another branch to change the gearbox oil...

I wont to upgrade from the oe oil. sea75w-90 gl4 semi synth. a gl5 rating was stated to be the upgrade.

has anyone used a sea75w-90 gl5 fully synth oil in theres??? if so what brand??

I can buy millers from work, but I’m thinking of the Mobil oil (mobilube) Can anyone shed some light on this predicament....?

you can try this one http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7 it worked for me perfectly

Before you go changing oil suggest you check your cable alignment.

Sometime the gearlever through can cause notchy changes The Haynes manual describes how to do this(quite simple) It basically realigns the gear lever /cables to the change mechanism.

Mine was notchy as afterwards was very smooth. Typically with that condition 1st , 3rd and 5th are notchy.

Gearbox oil does not really need to be touched unless you have lost some / changing drive shafts etc.

Edited by Bowders1

Before you go changing oil suggest you check your cable alignment.

Sometime the gearlever through can cause notchy changes The Haynes manual describes how to do this(quite simple) It basically realigns the gear lever /cables to the change mechanism.

Mine was notchy as afterwards was very smooth. Typically with that condition 1st , 3rd and 5th are notchy.

Gearbox oil does not really need to be touched unless you have lost some / changing drive shafts etc.

All been realigned and checked... last weekend. it’s only notchy for a few mins before the car warms up...

According to Skoda it would be down to the syncro or to the oil degrading in the box but they don’t offer to change it on servicing as in theory it should last the life of the box, but they do admit this isnt always the case.

when you put the redline in was it 2.0 liters to fill it???????

I changed my gearbox oil last week as it was getting a bit notchy & crunchy when cold........i used genuine skoda gearbox oil,it cost me £4.84 + vat a litre,i used just under 2 litres & it has made a big improvement to my gearbox! :thumbup:

All been realigned and checked... last weekend. it’s only notchy for a few mins before the car warms up...

According to Skoda it would be down to the syncro or to the oil degrading in the box but they don’t offer to change it on servicing as in theory it should last the life of the box, but they do admit this isnt always the case.

when you put the redline in was it 2.0 liters to fill it???????

2 liters is more than enough :yes:

• 6 months later...

I changed my gearbox oil last week as it was getting a bit notchy & crunchy when cold........i used genuine skoda gearbox oil,it cost me £4.84 + vat a litre,i used just under 2 litres & it has made a big improvement to my gearbox! :thumbup:

did you take your own container into skoda?

• 2 years later...

hello

i have my skoda octavia 1.6 MPI 2008 i went for oil change services in the skoda company ,they recommended to change the gearbox oil after 90,000 KM my question is do they have to change it ? i mean i know that the gearbox oil will be changed only if there is leak known that i live in hot country in the middle east

thank you