Car pulling to the left

Booked car in to get wheels balanced, tracking, caster and camber checked.

Work has been done and I need to collect the car (only wheels balanced), but I asked if the car is still pulling to the left. I was told it would do as its a German designed car and designed for FLAT German roads and that UK roads are cambered to the left, the car will pull to the left?

I call bullsh*t on this, but is there some truth in this? If its BS and cars still pulling to left im going to to have some serious words with garage in question.

The explanation is BS, but the statement may be correct as far as it goes. If it only pulls left hands-off it's a safety feature to keep you away from other traffic if you go to sleep at the wheel.

A correctly set up B5.5 goes straight on a flat road - mine does. Any car will run down a camber, so test it on the flat.

The problem is that the B5.5 has a complex front suspension which is both wear-prone and very difficult to set up accurately. If you're having the alignment done, ask them how they set the "raised toe". If they don't know or cannot produce the VAG tool and describe the method - walk away.

(Raised toe set the height of the track rod end ball joint in the knuckle lever to give the correct toe under all conditions of suspension deflection. You adjust it with the seemingly superfluous bolt which threads into the end of the ball pin, from the top).

rotodiesel.

Booked car in to get wheels balanced, tracking, caster and camber checked.

Work has been done and I need to collect the car (only wheels balanced), but I asked if the car is still pulling to the left. I was told it would do as its a German designed car and designed for FLAT German roads and that UK roads are cambered to the left, the car will pull to the left?

I call bullsh*t on this, but is there some truth in this? If its BS and cars still pulling to left im going to to have some serious words with garage in question.

Hi Ian

Not getting into buls**t or not but check for broken spring !

My lad complained about is Octavia pulling to the left, when we checked out found a broken spring, replace (both) and now ok

Radiotwo

Thanks for quick replies guys.

Ill ask them about the raised toe when I pick it up roto :thumbup:

I had a check of the spring before I took it in Radiotwo, they seemed to look ok. Im wary of this as it has happened to me in the past :smirk:

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if broken springs are an unseen issue on this car? My company car 1.9d 130bhp 55reg, 50,000 mile car has just had both broken front springs replaced.

Only sympton was a slight graunching noise from the drivers side on going over speed bumps with one wheel, and a slight pull to the left. I am not aware on any particular potholes or bumps which could have caused this?, although I now realise the ground clearance had reduced as well. I thought it was going to be a worn roll bar bush! Drivers side had seperatedcompletely and the broken ends overlapped causing the noise, the passenger side fell apart when raised on the ramp.

I wonder if broken springs are an unseen issue on this car? My company car 1.9d 130bhp 55reg, 50,000 mile car has just had both broken front springs replaced.Only sympton was a slight graunching noise from the drivers side on going over speed bumps with one wheel, and a slight pull to the left. I am not aware on any particular potholes or bumps which could have caused this?, although I now realise the ground clearance had reduced as well. I thought it was going to be a worn roll bar bush! Drivers side had seperatedcompletely and the broken ends overlapped causing the noise, the passenger side fell apart when raised on the ramp.

Yeh I had the noise from the drivers side when the spring was snapped. I didnt notice that it was snapped either at the time. Snapped at around 50k miles as well.

On another note, having the wheels balanced seems to of cured the problem somewhat but im still not happy with the ride. Car seems to of developed a strange noise from passenger side as well which is most noticable at 70mph. It doesnt really sound like a wheel bearing is going though (had 3 different carf with knackered wheelbearings) Im wondering if its th tire tread. Going to fit my spare when I get a chance to eliminate tire noise.

Car also seems to vibrate a bit more than I would expect at speed, could this be caused by having 4 mismatched tires? Vibration is what you would expect from unbalanced wheels, but ive just had this done.

Edited by ian0x0r

Yeh I had the noise from the drivers side when the spring was snapped. I didnt notice that it was snapped either at the time. Snapped at around 50k miles as well.

On another note, having the wheels balanced seems to of cured the problem somewhat but im still not happy with the ride. Car seems to of developed a strange noise from passenger side as well which is most noticable at 70mph. It doesnt really sound like a wheel bearing is going though (had 3 different carf with knackered wheelbearings) Im wondering if its th tire tread. Going to fit my spare when I get a chance to eliminate tire noise.

Car also seems to vibrate a bit more than I would expect at speed, could this be caused by having 4 mismatched tires? Vibration is what you would expect from unbalanced wheels, but ive just had this done.

Are all the tyres the same design?

Utter Bullchit, mines only ever pulled to the left as of incorrect tracking.

Although i would agree broken/worn suspension parts could lead to it pulling to one side.

Edited by Browny_37