EGR Valve

Does £248 pound sound fair for supply and fit of EGR valve on a Octavia Estate 04?. How easy is it to replace yourself? Is it just a case of removing it and fitting new one or does it require some setting up with computer etc.

Pretty easy to remove/replace yourself, no more than 30 mins (start to finish), requires some allen keys and plumbers/monkey wrench thing.

Is your EGR actually broken, or just dirty and in need of a clean up?

Edited by mbames

Pretty easy to remove/replace yourself, no more than 30 mins (start to finish), requires some allen keys and plumbers/monkey wrench thing.

Is your EGR actually broken, or just dirty and in need of a clean up?

has been cleaned out twice now, so garage have advised it needs replacing. Is there any other setup involved.

I have cleaned mine twice, and I see no reason why it can't continue to be cleaned (as and when needed), there is nothing in there really to wear out.... A new one will still need cleaning as it collects all the oily fumes from the crankcase breather pipework.

I have cleaned mine twice, and I see no reason why it can't continue to be cleaned (as and when needed), there is nothing in there really to wear out.... A new one will still need cleaning as it collects all the oily fumes from the crankcase breather pipework.

Do you think removing it for one of the power pipe things would be a better option.

Do you think removing it for one of the power pipe things would be a better option.

Or stick a catch-can into the middle of the loop.

Or stick a catch-can into the middle of the loop.

would that be a catch can instead of power pipe or both? Is there any guides on here on how to fit them? Total novice at this sort of thing. Have got poor acceleration and car seems to knock at about 3000rpm, would this be egr valve related. Also large cloud of smoke when starting.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Not sure what a powerpipe is :dull:

Have a quick search on here, CC's have been covered quite a bit recently, either buy a pre-fabricated one, or make your own (I have seen then make from a bakebean tin!)

Poor acceleration could be your MAF sensor (or a blocked air filter). If the EGR was really blocked that would reduce air flow, but if it has been cleaned twice then I doubt it could be that blocked up (unless there really was something seriously the matter with engine). How much oil does it use between services?

What colour is the smoke when it starts? Is the smoke for every start, or just sometimes?

My car has 147,500 miles on the clock and the EGR has not been cleaned once. I did the elephant mod about 1000 miles ago as my car had started to breath a little heavy. I have not noticed any difference in the way the car runs but my next job is to clean out the EGR. I am looking for a catch can that meets my budget at the moment. The elephant mod cost me nothing apart from the fact my washing machine broke so I had to get a new one. The bung for the inlet was provided by a never used exercise machine (I took a rubber foot off it).

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what a powerpipe is :dull:

Have a quick search on here, CC's have been covered quite a bit recently, either buy a pre-fabricated one, or make your own (I have seen then make from a bakebean tin!)

Poor acceleration could be your MAF sensor (or a blocked air filter). If the EGR was really blocked that would reduce air flow, but if it has been cleaned twice then I doubt it could be that blocked up (unless there really was something seriously the matter with engine). How much oil does it use between services?

What colour is the smoke when it starts? Is the smoke for every start, or just sometimes?

large cloud of blue smoke when starting

• 4 weeks later...

I might add up to 2 litres between services on my 110TDi - covering about 30k miles (variable/longlife) - how does that compare?

• 4 years later...