Fabia vRS - Silent front suspension :)

After months of trying to diagnose a knock in the front (intermittent, but most noticable when going over lots of small bumps in quick succession), it was finally identified as the front anti roll bar bushes. They'd not split or cracked or anything but must have just been worn! The two new bushes were well under £20 from TPS and took only half an hour for me (a complete idiot) to fit.

After fitting these the suspension was quieter but not silent. The knocking over small bumps had completely gone but there was another knock (that was there before, but masked by the other noises). A few miles of driving and a couple of investigative bounces of the car while my dad was feeling around the suspension to find the knocking noise and it was identified as a *loose* - not worn - anti roll bar drop link. It was just loose at the bottom and so the bolt on the drop link was actually moving inside the bit of the strut to which it's attached. Tightened it up fully and now that knock has gone too.

Result = me driving around without the radio on to prove the point that the suspension is silent now. Sad huh? :) But blissful. Gotta love how easy this car is for me to work on :)

Unfortunately I noticed while looking around and servicing the front and rear brakes that the drivers side rear shock absorber is soaking wet in oil. A new pair of rear shocks (and bump stops) is next on the list, it seems. :)

Useful info, thanks. :)

Unfortunately I noticed while looking around and servicing the front and rear brakes that the drivers side rear shock absorber is soaking wet in oil. A new pair of rear shocks (and bump stops) is next on the list, it seems. :)

At least that won't be horrifically expensive (think they're about £35 + VAT each), and won't take more than an hour for each side :)

Bushes can be so sneaky!

When I got my vRS it knocked at the front.. It was the same knock as when my console bushes went on my 1.4,

I told the mechanic, who looked and said.. nope, they're fine.. not them.. this happened a couple pf times over a year until after smacking a kerb I had the console bushes changed to cupra..

No more knocks..

So it seems to me bushes can look fine but be well on their way out!

• 10 months later...

I had some evil knocking noises too. I recently had the 'dog bone mount' and the top gearbox mount changed and it seems to have helped a lot, but still not quite silent.

I might have to have a lookie at these anti roll bar bushes too. I've had the drop links replaced already... and already have the Cupra bushes.

• 1 month later...

I wish mine was as easy as tightening the link bolt but after reading a few posts its making me think...

My passenger side knocks its more of a metal to metal noise, its when i go over small bumps and cracks around 5-30 mph and does it real bad when going round roundabouts or turning right, when turning left its alot quieter...

Iv fitted the cupra bushes and new ball joints a while back, i have recently been under it 2 times with spanners checking everything is tight that is connected to the wheel and everything is rock solid...

Its getting worse by the months, any ideas? could it be the arb bush parts that are sandwiched in between the clasp and console? they did look healthy when i was under there though...

Thanks

Edited by VRS-Badman

• 6 years later...

Hi all newbie here. Just read a post from Yegnold (2010) no less, about the knocking suspension on rough ground. From front offside only. I have Fabia estate 2010. Only 36000 miles and just passed MOT last week. 

Nothing showed up there. Interested in the post where says new bushes fitted. Where are these. Can is easily see them. Can I easily change them safely with basic skills? How much would a garage charge?

3 minutes ago, Pedropete said:

Have gone to the Fabia posts. There are hundreds of problems and answers. How can I whittle them down to what I want about the suspension?

What TMB is saying is that there's nothing wrong with your question, you just need to post it in the Fabia Mk2 section rather than here in Fabia Mk1 since the cars are different.

Just click 'Start New Topic' in the Fabia 2 section I linked to. You can then post your question and people will answer in your topic :-)

rty6778.png

Edited by TMB