DSG - 7 speed problems

I'm noticing that those affected seem to be either in very warm climates and/or places where poor road surfaces are prevalent.

I wonder if there's a link? emoticon-0138-thinking.gif

yeah..well..

the old geabox of 6 speed got alot of complaints here in israel during the summer..

now that you mention it..IT IS odd.

Ok latest update... The Skoda dealer claims there was an issue with the coding of the mechatronic he received from the factory and it took them all day to sort it out. They think(!!!!) they've solved it but unfortunately the workshop's closed tomorrow so they will test the car and deliver it either on Monday evening or Tuesday. This gearbox is a dream as long as it works fine, once it breaks down, you have a mega problem at hand.

We have a 1.4TSI MkVI Golf at work with the 7 speed DSG box in. The gearbox failed without warning after about 900 miles and was replaced under warranty by VW. The second gearbox jumped out of drive a month or 2 back (at about 11000 miles) and could not be persuaded to select a gear until the ignition was switched off and back on again. After this the car drove normally again. The car was booked in and taken to the dealers and a software update was all that was required this time.

My colleague who has the car has done some internet research and found that the DSG gearbox may not be as reliable as you might expect from VAG.

Edited by ExAudiSi

So you're in a naturally hot country then, so there's an extremely remote chance that the temperature might affect it, but it's very, very unlikely as that was down to a faulty temperature probe & that problem hasn't raised its head since a recall was done and successfully solved it.

If I were you I'd just go for it, as has been stated everything has a chance of going wrong.

Look at it this way, when you consider the number of VAG cars that have DSG boxes on them and perform faultlessly & reliably for 1000's of kms/miles, you're bound to get the odd rogue one, that's the law of averages for you. Personally I think you're worrying too much.

I know you may be a bit anxious about getting one (I know I was) but don't be. Once you've tried it, I'm certain that you'll love it.

Edited by Evening Star

Also spotted a DSG gearbox on the floor in my local VW dealers that had been replaced under warranty at around 1000 miles.

It's not that hot up here in the North East, although the roads are getting pretty rough :giggle:

So there you go, a duff one, but it was covered under warranty!

bah..i have to be honest..

all this talking made me thinking about breaking some savings and buying the euro version of the accord (acura tsx).

=\

So there you go, a duff one, but it was covered under warranty!

Which is great whilst it's under warranty, BUT if it fails after 3 years it's going to cost THE OWNER a fortune to repair!

So it's a gamble isn't it? Life's a gamble!

Many people here have had 1000's of miles/km out of them without it missing a gear, yet others have had trouble. Like everything in life that's manufactured, it will eventually go wrong/breakdown, it's just a matter of time before it does.

thanks for the link but im asking for the 7 speed unit,

not the 6 speed

Latest update, my car is back after spending 12 days at the workshop. The gear box works perfectly as of now. fingers crossed.

Things can go wrong at anytime and when it comes to electronics in particular it either fails in the first few days/weeks or never fails at all. Gearboxes like everything else on a car have wear and tear. So things will breakdown eventually. I'm not sure how DSG boxes are meant to be driven (Is there any guides about?) but is there a way to drive them, like you would a manual box to look after them in any way?

Personally I don't think it's a problem. The technology is relatively new but it must be good if it's throughout the VAG range. The new Fabia vRS/Ibiza/Polo GTI only come with the 7spd DSG. To rely on it that heavily I can't be that bad. Even Porsche and Ferrari have similar systems (458 Italia?).

I've got a 6 speed wetty in my Passat mated to a PD engine.

Experience of it......

It had a mech unit around the 22k mark before I owned it

Fuel economy is excellent

First couple of gears can be a bit jerky

3-4-5-6 is silk, especially under hammer

Would I prefer a man or full auto box over it?

Man deffo no

Auto yes but not the economy of one

Do I like the DSG

I should coco, it's an early adopters sort of thing, it isn't perfect, it will be in ten years time, but it's still a very neat bit of kit

Another option for ppl is Toyota CVT, this mated to a petrol engine gives the same sort of figures that a DSG diesel does, I know this because I did extensive testing of both before I went for the Passat, the Passat won it purely cos it's a bit of a Hooligan and looked less like a pipe and slippers motor, but the Toyota was imo a very nice car.

hth.

My own experience.

Superb 1.8 TSI 7-speed DSG, 16 months, 44.000 km, approx. 20% urban and 80% highway, 0 problems.

By the way, I live in Seville. Last week we reached 35 celsius degrees... in May! During summer it's easy to be over 40 degrees (which means at midday on a highway thereal temperature is about 55). So I think it can be considered as "hot" B)

I'll recommend it to anyone who thinks about buying a VAG.

Just my two cents :yes:

My own experience.

Superb 1.8 TSI 7-speed DSG, 16 months, 44.000 km, approx. 20% urban and 80% highway, 0 problems.

By the way, I live in Seville. Last week we reached 35 celsius degrees... in May! During summer it's easy to be over 40 degrees (which means at midday on a highway thereal temperature is about 55). So I think it can be considered as "hot" B)

I'll recommend it to anyone who thinks about buying a VAG.

Just my two cents :yes:

thanks for your comment!

exactly what i needed to hear.

btw i just read the online manual of the superb..man she is loaded with gadgets.

• 4 months later...

Allright, I am driving my TDI Fabia since 5 years and I decieded to buy a brand new Fabia vRS. Today I went to dealer and asked them about the car. (how long am I gonna wait, prices etc...) Then they told me that no manuel-gearbox option for vRS.

I've already heard many problems about DSG transmissions. I am a big member of Skoda and VAG group car forums in my Country. Most of the 7 speed DSG users in TR complain about the stupid noises from gearbox. And the dealers say that it's normal. But after 2 years (or when warranty ends) they want to fix it (replace some trans. parts or update trans. software whatever...) and ask fancy prices.

You can hear the strange noise in this video, it's really scary.

All in all, despite I love the new Fabia vRS (180 hp twincharged awesome engine and good price) I think I'm gonna go for a Corsa OPC with 6-speed manuel gearbox.

Edited by hakanerdogan

We picked up a new Octavia 1.8TSi with the 7speed DSG on 16th July it developed problems within 80 miles (dropping into neutral, harsh gearchanges etc) took it back to dealer following day (Saturday) and they finaly found the fault on Tuesday PM and said a module was faulty and the part would be 21-28 days. As we had only had the car for 22 hours we rejected the car and the dealer took it back, the replacement (same spec) Octavia should be ready next Saturday. we will see how that performs.

My Superb is still at the docks in Germany so will have to wait a bit longer for mine (also a DSG box) As I currently do about 45K a year any box faults should soon show up

We picked up a new Octavia 1.8TSi with the 7speed DSG on 16th July it developed problems within 80 miles (dropping into neutral, harsh gearchanges etc) took it back to dealer following day (Saturday) and they finaly found the fault on Tuesday PM and said a module was faulty and the part would be 21-28 days. As we had only had the car for 22 hours we rejected the car and the dealer took it back, the replacement (same spec) Octavia should be ready next Saturday. we will see how that performs.

My Superb is still at the docks in Germany so will have to wait a bit longer for mine (also a DSG box) As I currently do about 45K a year any box faults should soon show up

My gawd you must've been unlucky, probably the car cleaner hit the electric's with the steam cleaner, hope the other two are ok.

• 3 months later...

Replacement of the mechatronic unit and clutch unit should cure the DSG problems.Skoda know about this problem and advise that these parts are to be replaced,under warranty of course,alos worth replacing the DSG oil and filter in the process ....

i had a rattling sound from my gear box. the clutch repair kit was replaced and now the mechatronic unit is being replaced within days.

will this help

• 10 months later...

Could I enquire if any others using the dry 7 speed DSG have experienced the same issue as myself.

Our car is a late 2010 1.6CR diesel (But an Octavia , but no odds?)

Low speed manouvering on a slope is difficult as on a light throttle the mechatronic unit simply (& absolutly without warning) disengages drive, allowing the car to run back or forward as appropriate.

Yes, if one tweeks or prods the throttle drive will reengage, but if manouvering out of a tight parking space on a slope this may not be desirable.

My instinct is to brake.

The dealer could find no fault or fault code &

Skoda UK say this is to protect the clutchpack.

Despite happening from a cold start i.e.

only a few minutes after the engine was started.

Other than this gremlin the box is Superb ( & pun was intended there), even if fitted to an Octavia

i thought there is no fluids in the 7 speed gearbox..

what oil are you talking about??

Sorry for the probably idiot question - my September 2011 (delivery date) 140PS TDI DSG 4x4 Superb Elg Estate has a 6 speed box. In which models are 7 speed boxes offered? :S

Edited by Ashmount