DSG gearbox problem

Mornin' all

Had a strange 'event' yesterday.

Octavia fitted with DSG box, 2006, 38000 miles, serviced last month by local Skoda dealership.

Driving along, 40 m.p.h., five miles or so from home and sudenly lost traction. Rolled to a halt and the PNRDS display was flashing between 'white on black' and 'black on white' characters.

Switched off and restarted the engine - no change. Gearstick would move into all positions , but still no traction.

Swiched off and left it for a few minutes. Tried again with no change.

After three or four attempts, the problem cleared and all was well with the transmission.

Howewer, the 'Control system for exhaust gases' warning light remained on. I don't think the EMS switched to the emergency programme since the car drove normally.

The light remained on until I restarted the engine after a break of about an hour.

This morning, all seems well and it is behaving as normal.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

Might not be related, but is it anything to do with the temperature being a lot higher now than of late? Perhaps a problem that has been there for a while but only rears its head when the outside air temperature is higher?

Deff temp sensor, might be worth investigating having a DSG oil change whilst the work is done for piece of mind. Scan should show up the fault. Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to get it scanned to find out what's happened/happening.

(Thanks for the offer VRSCarl, but I'm in Devon).

Good point about the air temperature Dodgy. It's been OK for four years, but the sensor could be shot. I wondered if they had downloaded new software on the last service. (I once had a Peugot serviced and there was a bug in the new version which stopped the aircon working. )

Evening Star, symptoms are similar. It's difficult to see how a temperature probe would cause loss of drive, but it's something to look out for.

Thanks again all, I'll keep you posted with any progress.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to get it scanned to find out what's happened/happening.

(Thanks for the offer VRSCarl, but I'm in Devon).

Good point about the air temperature Dodgy. It's been OK for four years, but the sensor could be shot. I wondered if they had downloaded new software on the last service. (I once had a Peugot serviced and there was a bug in the new version which stopped the aircon working. )

Evening Star, symptoms are similar. It's difficult to see how a temperature probe would cause loss of drive, but it's something to look out for.

Thanks again all, I'll keep you posted with any progress.

Cheers

Dave

IIRC the temperature probe fault meant that the ECU believed the clutches were overheating so removes drive from the system to try and save the components from further damage.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Did they change the gearbox oil and filter on your last service?

Only reason I ask I had a similar problem of loss of drive and jerky take up on mine just before it's last service. I put it in for a service and the gearbox oil and filter change and the mechanic also knew about the problems. When I picked it up he said he had removed 3.5L from it and it was meant to have 6L in it which is what it was refilled with. In his words "VW have not made this the easiest gearbox to check fluid level on and it is very easy to get it wrong"!

Hope this helps.

Tom

IIRC the temperature probe fault meant that the ECU believed the clutches were overheating so removes drive from the system to try and save the components from further damage.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Sounds a bit drastic, but you may well be right.

Cheers

Dave

Did they change the gearbox oil and filter on your last service?

Only reason I ask I had a similar problem of loss of drive and jerky take up on mine just before it's last service. I put it in for a service and the gearbox oil and filter change and the mechanic also knew about the problems. When I picked it up he said he had removed 3.5L from it and it was meant to have 6L in it which is what it was refilled with. In his words "VW have not made this the easiest gearbox to check fluid level on and it is very easy to get it wrong"!

Hope this helps.

Tom

No they didn't Tom. It's due at 40000 so I will get it done when I take it in for a scan. It has never dropped oil and I'll be surprised if the factory underfilled it, but thanks for the info. I'll mention it when it goes in.

Cheers

Dave

I was surprised too and I also thought it was the first gearbox service carried out. There were no oil leaks either and apparently g/box oil is a check on pdi. As you say worth mentioning.

Tom

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Slightly different reason maybe as i see in your other post you have a 1.6 TDI with a 7speed DSG.   What age is your car?

They do not get oil changes unless part of the Service Campaign on DQ200 DSG which was started in 2014 buy Skoda UK 

and has the Factory Synthetic Oil changed to Mineral Oil & a Software Update.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

This shows some of the Engine / DSG's affected. & Not only 2009-2011 in Europe.

The world wide recall excluded the UK / Europe, and the Service Campaign in the UK never had new MCU's fitted on all cars.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Edited by Offski

Known as the "light of death" on a DSG gearbox which displays as PRNDS then unfortunately it appears your mechatronic unit could well be on the way out of in need of repair / replacement. 

This place can rebuild it for £300 - http://www.ecutesting.com/vw_and_audi_dsg_gearbox_ecu.html

Main dealer would want upwards of £1500 for a replacement mechatronic unit fitted.