Columbus Sat Nav Upgrade

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, I bought my Octavia 2nd hand (was registered March 09) which came with the Columbus sat nav already, although I use a TomTom which I find is much better I'd like to make sure the Columbus is up to date just in case my TomTom fails.

The dealer has said the upgrade disk will cost me around £190. Can I get one from else where? and how easy is it to upgrade? The Columbus doesn't currently have speed camera warnings also can this be added or would it be included with an upgrade? is the Columbus just UK and Ireland or does it cover western Europe also? How do I know what version my Columbus is running currently and what's the latest version?

Is there an idiots guide to all this anywhere?

Any pointers/help is most welcome. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Tom

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, I bought my Octavia 2nd hand (was registered March 09) which came with the Columbus sat nav already, although I use a TomTom which I find is much better I'd like to make sure the Columbus is up to date just in case my TomTom fails.

The dealer has said the upgrade disk will cost me around £190. Can I get one from else where? and how easy is it to upgrade? The Columbus doesn't currently have speed camera warnings also can this be added or would it be included with an upgrade? is the Columbus just UK and Ireland or does it cover western Europe also? How do I know what version my Columbus is running currently and what's the latest version?

Is there an idiots guide to all this anywhere?

Any pointers/help is most welcome. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Tom

Hi,

I sent you a pm with some more info but this site might help after your read my pm :)

http://vwnavi.com/forumdisplay.php/51-RNS-510-Navi-System

If anyone out there is a Columbus firmware guru, I'd love to have some pointers as to a definitive guide. I've been flashing ROMs on PCs, DVD players, PDAs, mobile 'phones and routers for more years than I care to remember, yet the whole Columbus angle just leaves me bamboozled. I can read Briskoda or VWNavi and still be none the wiser... maybe I'm just getting old and should go back to programming the 6502A in hex :-)

FL Octavia II with factory-fit Columbus, registered 05/09.

I can't find out what firmware version I'm starting with (no hidden menu, no VCDS, no dealers who seem to know how to activate it).

I can't find out what unit version number (A, B or C) I'm starting with (similar to the version issue, though I suppose I could rip it out of the dashboard to look at the back!)

I can't work out what the "definitive" latest firmware release should be - somewhere between 1100 and 2700, it seems - and that's before people start modding them!

So, all in all, I'm a bit perplexed. You seem to get some good new features on later release - SDHC support, speed limit display, faster startup, maybe others - but even that's unclear, so you could end up upgrading to something that perhaps doesn't offer a lot, if anything.

Does anyone have the time or inclination to produce some definitive statements about how, why, what and at what release? Or even link to something similar?

There's always the £20 on eBay option for firmware "that works with all units", but somehow that feels like a fast track to a doorstop without the background knowledge...

Thanks!

I can't find out what firmware version I'm starting with (no hidden menu, no VCDS, no dealers who seem to know how to activate it).

I can't find out what unit version number (A, B or C) I'm starting with (similar to the version issue, though I suppose I could rip it out of the dashboard to look at the back!)

I can't work out what the "definitive" latest firmware release should be - somewhere between 1100 and 2700, it seems - and that's before people start modding them!

So, all in all, I'm a bit perplexed. You seem to get some good new features on later release - SDHC support, speed limit display, faster startup, maybe others - but even that's unclear, so you could end up upgrading to something that perhaps doesn't offer a lot, if anything.

Thanks!

You'll need VCDS to find out your FW version level and it can read your current units part number. 5 minutes job. I wouldnt bother with your local dealer, most havent a clue what your talking about.

I think the latest version is 27xx, I have that in mine, the one and only reason I updated was to get SDHC support. Other than that I can see no difference (apart from the balance/fader graphic has changed but thats no big deal at all) Startup time etc all seem exactly the same as they were before updating. The speed limit display is just a rubbish gimmick, its often out of date as its based on the map data - which can be pretty old in certain areas. I never use and would certainly never rely on it - you can't beat looking out of the window and reading the road signs as you pass them!

Personally I would only consider an upgrade if you need/want SDHC support? Its easy to do, download the FW, burn to CD and insert it, mine took about 30 minutes to run through. There are a few threads explaing the process on here.

Lots of tales of woe involving 'bricked' units during upgrades though, I never worried about mine as I know its not stolen and hasnt had the case opened or the secuirty coding messed with.

Edited by Keith Lard

You'll need VCDS to find out your FW version level and it can read your current units part number. 5 minutes job. I wouldnt bother with your local dealer, most havent a clue what your talking about.

... and the dealers I've been to are normally sooo knowledgeable compared to the folks on this forum. I particularly like the look of horror on their faces when you say "oh, I've been doing some research and believe that's it's possible to ..." :-)

Thanks for the thoughts, Keith. Do you need VCDS to recode anything after flashing to ensure that all the buttons work on the MFSW, or that the GSM/BT prep still works? Or should it just work "out of the box" if the car has been coded correctly (factory-fit unit)?

And not to doubt you, but there seem to be an awful lot of scope between 1100 and 2700 to only be left with SDHC support, tweaked graphics and a speed limit gimmick. Unless VAG introduced support for different models (e.g. the voice control on later units), is there really nothing further they added? Sounds hardly worth it in that light... I can live with smaller cards if that's the only material benefit.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I sent you a pm with some more info but this site might help after your read my pm :)

http://vwnavi.com/forumdisplay.php/51-RNS-510-Navi-System

Cheers James!

All the info you gave me was spot on and I've managed to get my Columbus maps upgraded to V6 for free with the help of you and the internet :) Big thanks! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers James!

All the info you gave me was spot on and I've managed to get my Columbus maps upgraded to V6 for free with the help of you and the internet :) Big thanks! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Pleased it's all working.

james.

I think I've been buried a bit beneath subsequent posts, so I'll try again...

Columbus firmware upgrade. Factory-fit Columbus/GSM III/MFSW/front and rear sensors. Is anything likely to need recoding if I upgrade the f/w, or are these stored elsewhere in the system so will simply tell the Columbus what it needs to know? Anyone done it and can attest either way?

Cheers...

Hi all, newbie here!

If it's OK I thought I'd borrow this thread instead of cluttering the board with redundant posts. I have the standard Mp3 Stream unit (not sure that's it's actual name or if it is in fact standard) but I'm contemplating getting this unit from eBay (from a seller called tech_toys - I heard they're reputable) but have a few questions;

1. Is it difficult to install? I'm handy with both computers and tools and such but I've never really been one to muck about with cars (for starters I'm closer to 40 than 30 and this is my first car). I've seen a picture with approximate clip positions, but not sure how to best access them from the outside - just a thin screw driver? Once opened it's just plug and play? I have those extra rear backing sensors and the 8 speaker package.

2. So I need a new frame around the unit, I guess this is what the call a "facia". The seller gave me this link; http://www.octavia-vrs.com/technical/mfd2.html but the picture on there does not exactly match my car (at least the clima buttons are different - see picture below)? What exact part number do I need for my car and the RNS510, and is that the best place to get it?

3. If I understood it correctly I need some extra unit in order to connect my phone to the system? What do I need, where do I get it and how much is it? =)

4. One post above mentioned that there is no way to see what firmware you are having. Is it safe to just update it with the newest one (and where can I find that)?

5. I get from one of the comments above that it's pretty straightforward to update the map? For instance I have a new full map of Europe on my harddrive from my old Garmin Nüvi, would I be able to put that on the harddrive of the Columbus?

Lastly, the TomTom comment above made me a little hesitant, the map/GPS feature is my number one reason to get this (with the added Mp3 input (HD, SD and DVD) as at number two). What do other users think about the RNS510/Columbus? I'm particularly picky about choppy movements of the map.

Sorry for asking so many question in my first message here, but if you have an answer or opinion to any of this please don't hesitate to enlighten me! =)

Best regards,

Octavus

img1634ep.jpg

Where are you anyway (update your profile :thumbup: ) ? ...there might be a VCDS equipped Briskodian around the corner from you should the need arise.

Thanks, Simbo - a timely nudge, I thought it was set but perhaps it got lost in the server crash. Or maybe I just dreamt it.

I think I'll give it a whirl, then... merely a case of tracking down the right version and working out whether I need to rename some files or not in the ISO for the MFSW, it seems... and then standing back, lighting the blue touch paper, and retiring to a safe distance. Oh, and not telling SWMBO what I'm doing, just in case I need to shell out several hundred for "repairs" afterwards...

Hi all, newbie here!

If it's OK I thought I'd borrow this thread instead of cluttering the board with redundant posts. I have the standard Mp3 Stream unit (not sure that's it's actual name or if it is in fact standard) but I'm contemplating getting this unit from eBay (from a seller called tech_toys - I heard they're reputable) but have a few questions;

1. Is it difficult to install? I'm handy with both computers and tools and such but I've never really been one to muck about with cars (for starters I'm closer to 40 than 30 and this is my first car). I've seen a picture with approximate clip positions, but not sure how to best access them from the outside - just a thin screw driver? Once opened it's just plug and play? I have those extra rear backing sensors and the 8 speaker package.

2. So I need a new frame around the unit, I guess this is what the call a "facia". The seller gave me this link; http://www.octavia-vrs.com/technical/mfd2.html but the picture on there does not exactly match my car (at least the clima buttons are different - see picture below)? What exact part number do I need for my car and the RNS510, and is that the best place to get it?

3. If I understood it correctly I need some extra unit in order to connect my phone to the system? What do I need, where do I get it and how much is it? =)

4. One post above mentioned that there is no way to see what firmware you are having. Is it safe to just update it with the newest one (and where can I find that)?

5. I get from one of the comments above that it's pretty straightforward to update the map? For instance I have a new full map of Europe on my harddrive from my old Garmin Nüvi, would I be able to put that on the harddrive of the Columbus?

Lastly, the TomTom comment above made me a little hesitant, the map/GPS feature is my number one reason to get this (with the added Mp3 input (HD, SD and DVD) as at number two). What do other users think about the RNS510/Columbus? I'm particularly picky about choppy movements of the map.

Sorry for asking so many question in my first message here, but if you have an answer or opinion to any of this please don't hesitate to enlighten me! =)

Best regards,

Octavus

img1634ep.jpg

You will find everything you need to know here http://octavia-vrs.com/technical/bluetooth.html thanks to this very informative log with photos just follow the MFD2 install its exactly the same process

To remove your unit open the ash try place fingers under the fascia panel and gently pull up until it is removed, you will need a torx screwdriver to undo the 4 screws on your unit keep them safe, slide unit out and unclasp the plugs on the back, next gently prise off the top heater vent surrounds as in one of the pics place sat ariel with double sided tape on the bar at the very back drop down wire to unit slot connect up everything you may need a 2 into 1 ariel these can be bought of ebay fakra ariel connection slide everything back in replace screws and turn unit on enter code when prompted then replace new fascia bobs your auntie

Edited by skippy41

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, well, you win some and you lose some... upgrade apparently successful, but no MFSW volume control and no Maxidot display for Audio or Navigation. I tried swapping PQTABLE and SKTABLE on the off chance they'd work on a FL Octy, but, alas, no...

Looks like I'm off to find a friendly VCDS owner somewhere nearby, then... any volunteers, while I consult the directory...?

Thanks!

The final chapter. I hope. Maybe this is useful to others, though, so I'll 'fess up in public...

The update actually worked fine. PMs to various folk weren't necessary. No VCDS hacking was needed, so my time spent considering a UK distributor or local Briskodian was futile. No, much simpler actions were taken.

Learning point 1: Next time someone posts some web instructions, read them. Carefully.

Learning point 2 (more of practical use to anyone giving it a go): Remember to reset the Columbus after the upgrade!

Learning point 3: Read point 1 again, just in case you missed it the first time.

After the failure to link up with the Maxidot, I left the car go cold, which powered down the Columbus - and, lo and behold, everything worked fine when I restarted. Or nearly... because I'd played with the SKTABLE and PQTABLE files, the volume control on the MFSW didn't work, although all the other buttons did. So, a swap back of the files, a new disc, another upgrade and a reboot of the system and it all sprang back into life.

So, thanks to anyone who helped, apologies to anyone else for the hassle, but it's all working perfick, it seems.

When's firmware 2800 due out, anyone know? :yes:

Cheers!