Octavia MPG lets see which diesel is best

Little point in faffing about calculating it as the odometer could have an error factor of upto 10%. The petrol pump can legally be out by upto 1%. If your raw data is wrong, the final figure will be wrong also.

For comparative purposes, everyone should use the same recording method.

Ultimately though, these are mass produced machines built to tight tolerances. All have the potential to achieve exactly the same. It's the way you drive, where you live, how you set it up that affects your economy.

1.9 tdi with 40k on the clock

Maxidot average is about 48mpg. Mainly short stuff and only have 10 to 12 mile trip to work. Although if conditions are right and I wanna sit st 60 mph I get 62. I get the feeling on a long trip I could get 65 or even 70 but would die of boredom lol

Came down from vrs 170 pd and got to say the 1.9 is growing on me. Saving up for the remap and should be even better. Would love a sixth gear though and still find myself reaching in for it at the last 2 octavia had 6th.

Just thought I have actually owned all the pd engines now 105, 140 and the 170. All good IMO apart the dpf getting past it's sell by date at 121k is prettymuch the only problem I have had, hence went for simpler motoring with the 105 1.9 :)

When I picked up my 2010 Vrs 2ltr CR from Norwich and drove home to bonnie Scotland. Sitting at 78-80mph it returned 56mpg. And today travelling from Oban, home again (Mostly A-roads) it returned a decent 55mpg. I have given it a hiding and got 47mpg.

I'd say the trip computer was over estimating by 10% in that case.

You'll not know for sure until you do proper brim-to-brim calcs, then use VCDS to adjust the trip computer accuracy.

But 10% is a fair estimation. Some I've seen are more optimistic (15%), some are less so and even a few had accuracy bang on, when compared with manual calcs.

I'd say the trip computer was over estimating by 10% in that case.

I'll know for sure once the needle hits the bottom of the red quarter :) then I'll use the age old mathematical calculations to see the offset..

As long as you're filling to the first 'click' each time it doesn't matter how low you let the tank get. As you'll then know the amount of fuel for the given distance :)

As long as you note the mileage when you fill up of course!

I have the 1.6tdi which I bought for its economy. Have driven 20,000 miles mainly long runs, and have averaged, brim to brim measured, over the published combined figure of 62mpg, driving gently. Delighted with that, having traded up from a Mondeo that averaged 36mpg. The difference between indicated mpg on the computer and real mpg is always between 2 and 5 mpg. (around 3-7% overestimate). One summers day, with an empty car, I drove from Harrogate to Kent as carefully as I could, and got an indicated 93mpg on the computer - 250 miles, with indicated 975 miles remaining !

The Skoda is saving me £800 a year over the Mondeo in fuel, and £200 in car tax. Very pleased with the decision, and never worried by chancellors budget changes to VED ! (£30 again announced today)

I have the 1.6tdi which I bought for its economy. Have driven 20,000 miles mainly long runs, and have averaged, brim to brim measured, over the published combined figure of 62mpg, driving gently. Delighted with that, having traded up from a Mondeo that averaged 36mpg. The difference between indicated mpg on the computer and real mpg is always between 2 and 5 mpg. (around 3-7% overestimate). One summers day, with an empty car, I drove from Harrogate to Kent as carefully as I could, and got an indicated 93mpg on the computer - 250 miles, with indicated 975 miles remaining !

The Skoda is saving me £800 a year over the Mondeo in fuel, and £200 in car tax. Very pleased with the decision, and never worried by chancellors budget changes to VED ! (£30 again announced today)

Wow. 93mpg!!!!????!! Impressive. It can get addictive driving to avhieive high mpg. Dont seem to get much chance lately as my current project is 2 miles from my house. Almost makes me want to commute so i can fine tune my hypermiling technique. Normally doesnt take much to revert to less economical driving styles though. All good though.

• Like 1

I use an app on my iPhone called Road Trip Lite. I'm not sure if any of you guys have used it, but I find it takes the donkey work out of calculating your fuel consumption. Great if you're cr*p at maths like I am! ;-)

Here's a few of my last calculations. I've a 56 plate Octavia Elegance 1.9 PD with 71k on the clock. My daily commute is just shy of 100 miles, and is mostly on motorways where I hardly ever exceed 70mph (because I'm a tight buggah! ;-) )

There is also another mode which provides graphs etc. I'm impressed with it. And no, I don't have any connections with the developer of the app whatsoever. If you've not tried it, give it a go.

Cheers

FP

59 Elegance 1.9PD, average of 57.8mpg for the last 2000 miles. Daily commute 62 dual carriageway miles with cruise set at 74mph, actually doing 68.7mph according to handheld GPRS.

2005/55 Skoda Octavia Sport 2.0 tdi PD 140 - 49.2 mpg since my last fuel up and that's with no motorway driving this month. I usually get 480 miles when the light comes on which is when I fill up but I only live 15 mins from work so hardly get to cruise on the motorway. The best i've had on a run is 64 mpg and 550 miles to a tank.

Edited by billywhiz040480

I too use road trip light as well as an online one in my signature. Used it on my old Fabia until my phone went wrong and I lost all my figures :(

Considering I drive through the centre of reading during rush hour, I think 51mpg over 30,000 miles is pretty good