changing spark plugs

Hi, I bought 3 new plugs before our trip to Scotland last week thinking it was just take off plug cap and remove plugs.

Can someone please explain what I should do, and how, to remove all the electrical attachments on top of the plugs. I didn't persevere in case I broke something.

Thanks.

If you are a bit windy changing plugs, suggest get a 'Haynes' manual before you start, and have a good read on subject matter.??

All a quite straight forward chore, don't forget to gap new plugs ??

If you are a bit windy changing plugs, suggest get a 'Haynes' manual before you start, and have a good read on subject matter.??

All a quite straight forward chore, don't forget to gap new plugs ??

OK, will do. Thanks for the advice.

From what I remember seeing in the Haynes manual there's a special tool to remove the coil packs, but I think it suggests how to fashion your own tool.

Unclip the plastic tray work around the coil paks so that the low voltage wiring to the paks is free. Then use a couple of large bladed screwdrivers to gently ease the paks up a few mm. You then will find it easy to pull them up by hand. You can disconnect the paks from the loom by squeezing the clip on the connector underside and pulling the connector out.

You will need an appropriate plug spanner as the spark plugs are a snug fit down a long hole. - GSF sell a nice T bar plug spanner for about £3.50 IIRC.

Edited by xman

• 1 year later...

Hi, I bought 3 new plugs before our trip to Scotland last week thinking it was just take off plug cap and remove plugs.

Can someone please explain what I should do, and how, to remove all the electrical attachments on top of the plugs. I didn't persevere in case I broke something.

Thanks.

I didn't have welding rod to bend as it says in the Haynes manual.

I managed to find an 8 in long 'cabin hook, the sort of thing you can close a gate with. The long 'L' sahpe worked a treat at loosening off the coil packs