ABS and TCS warning light

Dear members,

I own a skoda fabia elegance 2002. Today i have noticed warning lights for Anti brake system (ABS) and transaction control system (TCS). Usually this lights do come on when the ignition is switched on and it disappears when the car is started. Today this lights seem to be constantly on. I tried switching off and on the switch for ABS but that didnt seem to be working either. Any ideas why would it do that and how can i fix it? I would like to avoid going to the dealer, obvious reason being the amount of monie they normally charge. Please if anyone can help me it would be a great help. Cheers, ta

Dear members,

I own a skoda fabia elegance 2002. Today i have noticed warning lights for Anti brake system (ABS) and transaction control system (TCS). Usually this lights do come on when the ignition is switched on and it disappears when the car is started. Today this lights seem to be constantly on. I tried switching off and on the switch for ABS but that didnt seem to be working either. Any ideas why would it do that and how can i fix it? I would like to avoid going to the dealer, obvious reason being the amount of monie they normally charge. Please if anyone can help me it would be a great help. Cheers, ta

Where are you based? I can run VAG-COM for you if you are local

thanks for the replies...how can i find out if its one of the wheel speed sensors? and how can i fix it on my own? cheers

You'd need to get the fault logs read to assist diagnosis - that is where the offer of VAG-COM or VCDS comes in (ie to point to which wheel's sensor is having a problem - if indeed it is a wheel sensor that has "failed"). Other than that you would need to use an oscilloscope on each sensor and spin the wheel and see is any look worse than others.They are pretty crude devices so don't expect brilliant waveforms.

Edited by rum4mo

Have a very good look at the flat bolted down fuses on top of the battery.

Read docdlb (post 7 ) on this thread HERE as fordfan says its a good chance the 40a fuse is cracked, 2 min job to check and there are pics for you to see which one to check..

Mine had gone the other week and it was the same symptons as yours, bought a new fuse for less than £2 from my local dealer and fitted it....lights out immediately.

Edited by stemcell

• 7 years later...
On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:38, williamwilliam said:

I have a 2002 TDI Fabia with an ABS and brake light on, anyone in the Lincoln area have VCDS that could help, greatly appreciate.

there is a VCDS map here:-

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Td73_uUUqscV3nRm5br_o89PmBU&msa=0&ll=53.171447332030716%2C-0.5022974748046636&z=11

hover over each marker to reveal link to pm the person.

• 1 month later...

Fixed it, I very much appreciate the help with VCDS community. Thanks fabdavrav for pointing me in the right direction. After reading the fault codes VCDS came up with 00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)  Swapping out the old sensor at the rear was fairly easy as it wasn't as rusty as the front one, just a matter of a couple of gentle but firm blows with a hammer.  Turned out that the sensor's coil was broken as when I measured it afterwards with an ohm meter I got no reading or an open circuit. the light on the dash went out as soon as I moved the car which I guess induced a voltage that the ECU recognised.