Power steering Failure - Can I still drive it?

Grant

My power steering has stopped working. Doing a search on here would suggest that it is likely to be a connector that has worn through or the pump has died. I'm thinking it is the connector that has gone as it originally stopped working on Saturday, but has worked fine yesterday and today, but stopped working when I took the battery out to check the fluid level. I've also ran a Vag-com scan and its come back with error codes 00566 - Steering Assistance Operation: Implausible Signal and 01288 - Terminal 30; Steering Assist: Signal too High. These also suggested it is the connector.

I'm not going to be able to have a look at it until Saturday at the earliest, apart from its really heavy, is it still OK to drive in the meantime with the pump not active?

Thanks.

Edited by Grant

It'll be a pig to steer at low speeds. Especially doing manouvres and parking.

I ran a golf GTI round without power steering for a few months.

I'd rather not do it again that's for sure. Once properly moving it won't be

as bad and I actually preferred it at motorway speeds, the car felt more stable.

I wouldn't - when my rack failed it was VERY heavy - I only just managed to drive the half mile to the nearest Skoda garage...

When mine 'failed' it was fine on A roads and generally higher speeds, actually felt better, as Gary said, less twitchy. At low speeds though it came stuck at mini roundabouts, and larger ones had to be taken quite slowly, parking etc was a nightmare!

I own a S1 106 Rallye drive it everyday and it hasnt got power steering it isnt that bad! but power steering racks are much heavier!

i have a friend who has a 106 GTi which the power steering failed... he was driving home on some back road and came to a corner and the power steering kicked back into life and he found himself on the verge and all over the road!!

but this might just be a French thing!

Edited by andrew-ralston

i have a friend who has a 106 GTi which the power steering failed... he was driving home on some back road and came to a corner and the power steering kicked back into life and he found himself on the verge and all over the road!!

ooh la la! :D

I own a S1 106 Rallye drive it everyday and it hasnt got power steering it isnt that bad! but power steering racks are much heavier!

Think how heavy a great big diesel lump is over the front wheels tho! Lol, mines in the garage at the moment, same problem. I drove it to work, was nice once up to speed. As said, slower speeds are a little tricky :-/

Matt

My power steering has stopped working. Doing a search on here would suggest that it is likely to be a connector that has worn through or the pump has died. I'm thinking it is the connector that has gone as it originally stopped working on Saturday, but has worked fine yesterday and today, but stopped working when I took the battery out to check the fluid level. I've also ran a Vag-com scan and its come back with error codes 00566 - Steering Assistance Operation: Implausible Signal and 01288 - Terminal 30; Steering Assist: Signal too High. These also suggested it is the connector.

I'm not going to be able to have a look at it until Saturday at the earliest, apart from its really heavy, is it still OK to drive in the meantime with the pump not active?

Thanks.

You would not be covered by your Insurance Company, and could be prosecuted by the Police if stopped ,if they found out !!

Think how heavy a great big diesel lump is over the front wheels tho! Lol, mines in the garage at the moment, same problem. I drove it to work, was nice once up to speed. As said, slower speeds are a little tricky :-/

Matt

haha i actually thought about it i had to push my mates Type-R when its battery died and trying to move the powersteering rack without powersteering is mental!!

You would not be covered by your Insurance Company, and could be prosecuted by the Police if stopped ,if they found out !!

My thoughts entirely when it was first mentioned - but I didn't want to be the first to raise it!

Quick Update,

I checked the connectors around the starter motor as suggested and two of the cables were broken. I repaired these and are now sound. I also discovered that the pump was covered in foam and a plastic case which was soaking in water. I guess this is the cause of the problem, that the pump's electrics are soaked through and have become faulty. I cleaned it up and dried it best I could. I also removed the steering sensor (previously replaced 2 years ago) and cleaned it and gave it a squirt of wd40, possibly not the best thing to do? Over the weekend it has worked fine a couple of times, but not worked since Monday morning now.

Just done another vagcom Scan and got these faults

00566 - Steering Assistance Operation: Implausible Signal

01288 - Terminal 30; Steering Assist

00816 - Power Steering Sensor (G250)

00817 - ??

01290 - ??

I've cleared these off and will check again when I get to work.

I presume this would mean that the pump is completely gone now. Can anyone advise? Reading the Haynes manual it seems a fairly straight forward job to change. I've also read somewhere that there is/was two different makes of pump, as far as I can tell (its written on the filler cap) mines a TRW. Are these interchangeable, or is there been an updated revised model. I'd like to get this fixed as soon as possible for the convenience, and the possible legal side of things.

Lastly how much fluid does the PAS system need for a full drain/refill?

Thanks for reading.

• 5 months later...

Quick Update,

I checked the connectors around the starter motor as suggested and two of the cables were broken. I repaired these and are now sound. I also discovered that the pump was covered in foam and a plastic case which was soaking in water. I guess this is the cause of the problem, that the pump's electrics are soaked through and have become faulty. I cleaned it up and dried it best I could. I also removed the steering sensor (previously replaced 2 years ago) and cleaned it and gave it a squirt of wd40, possibly not the best thing to do? Over the weekend it has worked fine a couple of times, but not worked since Monday morning now.

Just done another vagcom Scan and got these faults

00566 - Steering Assistance Operation: Implausible Signal

01288 - Terminal 30; Steering Assist

00816 - Power Steering Sensor (G250)

00817 - ??

01290 - ??

I've cleared these off and will check again when I get to work.

I presume this would mean that the pump is completely gone now. Can anyone advise? Reading the Haynes manual it seems a fairly straight forward job to change. I've also read somewhere that there is/was two different makes of pump, as far as I can tell (its written on the filler cap) mines a TRW. Are these interchangeable, or is there been an updated revised model. I'd like to get this fixed as soon as possible for the convenience, and the possible legal side of things.

Lastly how much fluid does the PAS system need for a full drain/refill?

Thanks for reading.

Did replacing your pump fix this for you? I have exactly the same issue.

I've driven mine for 5 months with no power steering and no abs, it's lowered around 70 with 205 profile tyres, yes it is a bit of a pain to park but I don't mind, i would like itfixedthough lol... Luckily after 4 months of driving the abs turned out to be a fuse, let's hope my steering failure is the angle sensor :)

• 1 year later...

My thoughts entirely when it was first mentioned - but I didn't want to be the first to raise it!

The Army never told me that. It used to take 2 of us the get an ANTAR (Tank Transporter) around the corner without power steering :(

Edited by Ray_Green