Skoda Yeti - Removing the Glove Box

Great Yeti

Is there anyone here who has actually taken the cover off the glove box lid catch ?

It simply says stick a small screwdriver up behind the cover (there is actually a small cutout in the cover) and release the tab.

Well I just spent ages with a small mirror and a torch looking for the tab. And, obviously enough, I cant see what they're talking about. There's even a drawing of it but it doesn't seem to relate to what I can see.

Anyone?

I'm just adding a last post to this thread. I started another post  ..... click here to see the other topic ....

...... and received advice and fixed the problem by eventually getting cover off the push button release catch and removing the whole glove box and greasing the mechanism and adding a stronger spring the operate the two sliders that hold the lid shut.

Edited by oldstan

Hi Oldstan - I’m sorry you were unable to follow the guide which others have found so easy to use, but I am glad you finally managed to get it off, it’s not at all difficult is it?

You asked a question, so in an effort to answer your question “Is there anyone here who has actually taken the cover off the glove box lid catch” Yes - a good many, who simply followed the instructions and photographs as laid out in the PDF. Currently 10 members have responded and said they were able to do it and the post has over 20K viewings. It would seem that it’s only you that struggled (sorry), but I’m very glad you have it sorted now.

I am at a loss to know how clearer the instructions could be. Your comment “It simply says stick a small screwdriver up behind the cover (there is actually a small cut-out in the cover) and release the tab.” is I’m afraid, incorrect.

The instructions & photographs in the PDF are clear, simple and detail exactly how to remove the cover. Another member graciously added to the post with his own diagram, for even more clarity. The PDF details: the tools required; where all the screws are located, including the hidden screw; the three steps to be made to remove the cover and a warning on how to avoid breaking part of the mechanism. All very clear including how and in what direction to manoeuvre the release tab to gain access. Whilst the original post is “quite old” (September 2010) it is still relevant. VAG use this type of catch across most of their model range and it is still found on many current models, I do believe.

Anyway, the main thing is that you finally got access to the area you needed to and effected a repair! Nice to see that someone still has an early Yeti going strong! We still miss our 1.2 SE DSG in Brilliant Silver, but we have such fond memories it can still put a smile on our faces as it never failed to do whenever we went out in Tigger.

Long may you enjoy yours……Tony