Skoda YETI - Sat-Nav installation

Great Yeti

Hello. I have installed an after-market Sat-Nav in our new Skoda Yeti. The link below takes you to a "PDF" file which documents how I did this, and overcame some problems regarding access to parts of the dashboard and sourcing an ignition live circuit to charge the Sat-Nav.

Installing a Sat-Nav in a Skoda Yeti

I hope this helps anyone who is trying to do something similar.............Good Luck .........................................the GREAT YETI

• Like 4

Wow! What a neat setup! Exactly what I want apart from that I want the power lead to go outside the tray so that that can be left shut and the sat-nav be fixed on the windscreen as per normal! All cars should have sockets and USB points like this fitted as standard!

Great job!

Hello. I have installed an after-market Sat-Nav in our new Skoda Yeti. The link below takes you to a "PDF" file which documents how I did this, and overcame some problems regarding access to parts of the dashboard and sourcing an ignition live circuit to charge the Sat-Nav.

I hope this helps anyone who is trying to do something similar.............Good Luck .........................................the GREAT YETI

Excellent write up and good easy to follow "how to" for a sat nav installation. I fitted my TomTom onto the lid of the top box but had a trailing lead, which after reading your info. I can now hide the wires. One reluctant comment though, If you leave your satnav inside the top box as per your clever hide away brackets it will get fried in the Summer. The dash and its environs can get to well over 100degrees when the Yeti is parked somewhere in the sun. When you are driving the inside temp is much lower.

I take mine out after use because I cooked the last one.

Great article, thanks,

IAMGEOB

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback and comments guys! - Good to know that the effort was not wasted.

Good point IAMGEOB re temperature in the summer months, especially down here in sunny Norfolk!. Something to bear in mind.

Thanks again and if anyone else out there in "Yeti Land" needs help re circuits etc please email I will do what I can to help.

.............the GREAT YETI

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for posting this - I am looking into replacing my "Blues" radio with either the Bolero or Amundsen.

One tip for everyone messing with interior trim parts - VW has a tool known as the plastic trim removal tool, google should give you the parts number. This is a silicone wedge that won't leave marks on the trim bits.

From me, it's very very higly reccomended.

Thank you for posting this - I am looking into replacing my "Blues" radio with either the Bolero or Amundsen.

One tip for everyone messing with interior trim parts - VW has a tool known as the plastic trim removal tool, google should give you the parts number. This is a silicone wedge that won't leave marks on the trim bits.

From me, it's very very higly reccomended.

Thanks for the suggestionemoticon-0148-yes.gif

A good selection here emoticon-0144-nod.gif

THE GREAT YETI

smiley-transport011.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Great Yeti - You are a Star !!

Your .pdf attached instruction files are brilliant and really useful and helpful :clap: :thumbup:

Thank you very much for all the time and effort you have put into preparing these valuable guidance notes.

You deserve a Briskoda " Gold Medal" at the end of the year !

Many thanks

Hey Great Yeti - You are a Star !!

Your .pdf attached instruction files are brilliant and really useful and helpful :clap: :thumbup:

Thank you very much for all the time and effort you have put into preparing these valuable guidance notes.

You deserve a Briskoda " Gold Medal" at the end of the year !

Many thanks

You are most welcome! emoticon-0148-yes.gif Thank you for your kind comments. I have received assistance and extensive information from other members here at Briskoda, and with their continued help, hope to produce two more "How to" guides shortly. smiley-computer012.gif

Tony........AKA

THE GREAT YETI

smiley-transport011.gif

• Like 1

You are most welcome! emoticon-0148-yes.gif Thank you for your kind comments. I have received assistance and extensive information from other members here at Briskoda, and with their continued help, hope to produce two more "How to" guides shortly. smiley-computer012.gif

Tony........AKA

THE GREAT YETI

smiley-transport011.gif

Tony, your guide looks great, was directed here from the Octavia section and am going to use your instructions for my car. I've just bought thee usb charger you recommended as well. Looking forward to the other guides you are producing. :thumbup:

Woody

Tony, your guide looks great, was directed here from the Octavia section and am going to use your instructions for my car. I've just bought thee usb charger you recommended as well. Looking forward to the other guides you are producing. :thumbup:

Woody

Morning Woody. Glad it helps. Be aware that if they are pulling a little power, (they can source up to 1 amp.) they do get a little warm. So leave a bit of space arround it - if you need anything re circuits etc. or if I can help in any way, just let me know emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Regards.....Tony

THE GREAT YETI

smiley-transport011.gif

Morning Woody. Glad it helps. Be aware that if they are pulling a little power, (they can source up to 1 amp.) they do get a little warm. So leave a bit of space arround it - if you need anything re circuits etc. or if I can help in any way, just let me know emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Regards.....Tony

THE GREAT YETI

smiley-transport011.gif

Great, thanks very much. It'll be a couple of weeks before I attempt it I think, once I have all the bits together.

• 4 weeks later...

Great Yeti, or a n other.

Is fuse no 26 (the 12V one) permanently live? (by the front drivers door)

I have used no. 26 and then realised it is switched......

I have a project on going which I will reveal shortly and I would prefer a permanent live.

Mike

Great Yeti, or a n other.

Is fuse no 26 (the 12V one) permanently live? (by the front drivers door)

I have used no. 26 and then realised it is switched......

I have a project on going which I will reveal shortly and I would prefer a permanent live.

Mike

Hi Mike. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Fuse 26 is a permanent live circuit on "Tigger", our 1.2 "SE" DSG - (Power Socket in luggage compartment). Fuse 30, by the way should be the Power socket in the front of the car. The fuse designations are a little "general" in the owners manual, as it is intended to cover all variants. As all the different models have varied accessories, facilities and owner specified options, the fuses designated in each vehicle can change somewhat. I note that "Elsie" is rather, Elegant emoticon-0105-wink.gif and so will have most of the toys that are available - Lucky Girl!! If you are finding that 26 is switched, I am not at all sure which circuit that fuse is controlling.

I have had another thought emoticon-0104-surprised.gif Please do not take this the wrong way, but are you sure you are looking at Fuse 26? It would be an easy mistake to make BUT you start counting the fuses from the bottom and count upwards - No: 1 bottom left to No: 14 top left - centre bottom = 15, centre top = 22 - bottom right = 23 & top right = 36. So fuse No: 26 is fourth up from the bottom and on the right, by my reckoning.

When I get the time I am going to have another go at getting access to the rear of the fuse box. I think I now know how to get at it. It involves (I did say I think! didn't I) removing the trim from beneath the light switch. Which, "I think", will give access to screws, that if released, along with others that hold that section of the lower dashboard in place, the lower dash can then probably be moved to give access to the rear of the fuse box. Need to be a little careful here as the drivers knee air bag is situated in close proximity to all this!

I hope that some of this rambling of mine helps in some small way. Anyway, I will look forward to seeing your project when you finally reveal it!! (What can it be???!!! - you have caught my imagination!!) Please let me know if I can help in any way.................Regards......Tony

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A totally great project - but WTF don't they give us the USB points as standard? would make things much simpler.

Edited by FergusC

A totally great project - but WTF don't they give us the USB points as standard? would make things much simpler.

emoticon-0148-yes.gif Yes! it costs so little (less than a couple of pounds to make and would only be pence with the economies of scale that mass production would bring) and is now such a universally used power source it surely should already be fitted to all cars as standard.

PS Sent reply to your PM with request for the circuit details...............Tony

Tried to view the guide but it seems to be removed?

Hi - just tried the link in both Google Chrome and IE and all working fine. If you are still having a problem send me a PM with an email address and I will send you the PDF direct to you as an attachment........Regards. Tony

Cheers mate!

You are welcome emoticon-0148-yes.gif - Glad you managed to make the "Link" emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Let me know if you need more info etc......................Tony

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this article. I hate power leads dangling all over the car to my sat nav and this will tidy it all up nicely.I have a spare power supply that came with a Garmin Zumo sat nav I fitted to my motorbike, and was thinking of using it in the Yeti, but am wondering if it is going to be OK as it will always be powered when the ignition is on even if the sat nav is not connected. Would this be likely to damage the power supply if there is no load?