Fabia - Power Steering issues - Again

Hello all,

The power steering on my 51plate fabia diesel 1.9tdi has given up the ghost again. A couple of years ago i had an intermittent fault with it also but this turned out to be a continuity issue, which i believe to be fairly common. This time it has been diagnosed as the power steering pump and he quoted me £600. It is still an intermittent problem though, if the pump had burnt out etc would it not be knackered permanently?

Am i getting fleeced, they are going for £280 on ebay. Is it a big job to change?

cheers in advance

Hello all,

The power steering on my 51plate fabia diesel 1.9tdi has given up the ghost again. A couple of years ago i had an intermittent fault with it also but this turned out to be a continuity issue, which i believe to be fairly common. This time it has been diagnosed as the power steering pump and he quoted me £600. It is still an intermittent problem though, if the pump had burnt out etc would it not be knackered permanently?

Am i getting fleeced, they are going for £280 on ebay. Is it a big job to change?

cheers in advance

Have you had the steering angle sensor checked?, just had mine done after intermittant loss of power steering and its all back and working now.

Have you had the steering angle sensor checked?, just had mine done after intermittant loss of power steering and its all back and working now.

No, when i spoke to mechanic he said that he was 99.9% sure it was the pump. At that price 0.1% chance is quite high. Could be an idea to check that first. cheers

How old is the battery? I'd check this before I even consider the sensor or the pump, as it has a hard job buffering the load from the pump (60A) and unless it's in good condition, the steering will be heavy.

One way to check is to keep the revs up when you're manoeuvring (mind your clutch control!) as this means the alternator supplies more of the power, and the steering shouldn't go heavy.

HTH

How old is the battery? I'd check this before I even consider the sensor or the pump, as it has a hard job buffering the load from the pump (60A) and unless it's in good condition, the steering will be heavy.

One way to check is to keep the revs up when you're manoeuvring (mind your clutch control!) as this means the alternator supplies more of the power, and the steering shouldn't go heavy.

HTH

I went down the battery route first as it was the cheaper option... I always try the cheapest things first ;)

Battery cost me £65 for a Bosch and later £115 for the sensor and fitting on top.

Edited by stemcell