Mechatronic Unit

I finally got around to getting the juddering in 2nd gear from my DSG gearbox looked at and I thought that the garage was having me on when they said that they will need to replace the 'MEGATRONIC' unit, it sounded like something from the Transformers film. I now know that they meant a Mechatronic unit and this will apparantly take a whole day after one has been specially built for my individual car.

Has anyone else had this replaced?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else had this replaced?

I hope it's covered under warranty!!

LOADS of people have had them fail across the whole of the VAG range at a cost of aprox £1,500 IIRC. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I hope it's covered under warranty!!

LOADS of people have had them fail across the whole of the VAG range at a cost of aprox £1,500 IIRC. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Yes it is still under warranty as the car is only 6-months old, I did find some prices with a quick internet search and it looks like it would be around £2000.

Besides the mechatronic make sure that you have the clutch replaced as well.We had the same problem on a Superb with DSG,replaced the mechatronic under warranty as instructed by Skoda,same problem re appeared and they instructed us to replace the cluct unit.Replacing the mechatronic isn't a gearbox out job but the clutch unit is.Also it's worth having the gear oil and filter replaced whilst the job is being done.Apparently these DSG gearboxes were giving some problems,around 350,000 were being recalled.Also on another superb,the oil cooler failed,mixing the DSG oil with radiator coolant,we had no other option but to replace the whole box .....

Besides the mechatronic make sure that you have the clutch replaced as well.We had the same problem on a Superb with DSG,replaced the mechatronic under warranty as instructed by Skoda,same problem re appeared and they instructed us to replace the cluct unit.Replacing the mechatronic isn't a gearbox out job but the clutch unit is.Also it's worth having the gear oil and filter replaced whilst the job is being done.Apparently these DSG gearboxes were giving some problems,around 350,000 were being recalled.Also on another superb,the oil cooler failed,mixing the DSG oil with radiator coolant,we had no other option but to replace the whole box .....

Thanks for the advice but I guess that as it is a warranty job they will still insist on doing it a bit at a time just in case they get lucky.

I looked at a picture of a DSG-7 mechatronic it looks like something from the space shuttle!

I have been out of the motor trade a couple of years now, but when I was dealing with VAG cars we had a LOT of DSG Mechatronic problems. Addmittadly this was a few years back and the design has been improved, but I still would not be prepared to buy a DSG car with my own money. Seen too many four-figure bills on cars with modest mileages. The real snag is that I have not found anyone outside of the VAG dealerships who is prepared to rebuild these transmissions - meaning you are locked into the dealer network for the life of the car, with the consequent high labour costs and lack of reconditioned parts.

The DSG-7 is just beyond complex.

I have been out of the motor trade a couple of years now, but when I was dealing with VAG cars we had a LOT of DSG Mechatronic problems. Addmittadly this was a few years back and the design has been improved, but I still would not be prepared to buy a DSG car with my own money. Seen too many four-figure bills on cars with modest mileages. The real snag is that I have not found anyone outside of the VAG dealerships who is prepared to rebuild these transmissions - meaning you are locked into the dealer network for the life of the car, with the consequent high labour costs and lack of reconditioned parts.

The DSG-7 is just beyond complex.

I just hope I will get lucky as I would like to keep this car, and apart from this niggle the DSG gives a fantastic ride, although an extended warranty may be necessary.

Maybe one day all cars will be DSG!!

Shouldn't that be clutches?

I just hope I will get lucky as I would like to keep this car, and apart from this niggle the DSG gives a fantastic ride, although an extended warranty may be necessary.

Maybe one day all cars will be DSG!!

I doubt it.

I have seen numerous 'automated manual' and 'semi-automatic' transmission come and go. None of these seem to give the realibility of either a standard step-ratio hydraulic auto, or a manual. For example we have had 'EasyDrive'. 'SensoTronic', Multitronic, etc etc. The DSG is really a modern variation of the twin-shaft pre-selector that was developed pre-war. The problem with all of these transmissions is that they are so complex and have so many critical components that something is almost certain to go wrong. I have rebult many manual transmissions, and plenty of conventiional autos, but I wouldn't know where to start. A friend of mine who has been rebuilding auto's since the 1970's and who is really really good (dealer 100 miles away sends him transmission to rebuild) will not entertain even look at DSGs, or the Multitronics either for that matter. Once one of these is out of warranty is (financially speaking) like a grenade with the pin out.

Edited by Hauptmann

There is a repair kit besides the mechatronic that Skoda advised us to have replaced.Part number is 02E398029.Insist with the dealer to have this replaced.Even though it's a warranty job,your dealer might claim for parts from Skoda he never replaced on your car if you know what I mean.As someone else said the DSG is quite a complex box,quite a few parts can be repalced,VAG had some trouble with them recalling quite a few.Personally I wouldn't want one ....

• 5 weeks later...

I took the car in last week for the mechatronic to be replaced but it hasn't gone well.

Day 2 'Sorry you need to keep the loan car for another day, we have never seen one of these gearboxes before and we haven't got the tool we need'

Day 3 'Yes you can collect the car today but we haven't actually replaced the mechatronic as we couldn't get it off the gear box, so we need to replace the gearbox as well'

And I am still waiting for the next date.

At lest the car is still drivable.

There was a youtube video in german of how its done, looks fairly resonable, I'd suggest taking it elsewhere. Oh and my clutch pack is about to be replaced!

I only have the problem in 2nd gear so hopefully the clutch i okay

I researched the DSG box before purchasing ny car as it seemed to be generally reliable. However when I googled "Mechatronic Unit"recently, the story is very different, but too late for me.

If I am in traffic and want to move off quickly, when I put the lever into drive, there is a pause and the car takes off with a jerk. If I want to start off on a steep slope forward or backwards the clutches slip and jerk, I hate these shortcomings and regret buying automatic. For casual driving and for the open road, the gearchange is first class, as is the economy.

I have no idea if this behaviour is symptomatic of the demise of my box but I have other problems ( management light and central locking) so Skoda ownership has been unlucky for me .

I

If I am in traffic and want to move off quickly, when I put the lever into drive, there is a pause and the car takes off with a jerk. If I want to start off on a steep slope forward or backwards the clutches slip and jerk, I hate these shortcomings and regret buying automatic. For casual driving and for the open road, the gearchange is first class, as is the economy.

I have no idea if this behaviour is symptomatic of the demise of my box but I have other problems ( management light and central locking) so Skoda ownership has been unlucky for me .

I find it's when I am in traffic and I want to move off without planning it - if I can pre-empt the car needing to be in great then it's as smooth as. Same with sitting on hills.

I love the DSG :)

I had a 2.0TDI DSG Passat while my car was being straightened up and there were only two scenarios where I liked the DSG - traffic light grand prix and cruising on the motorway.

In heavy stop start traffic it was useless, very jerky and generally unable to make its mind up over first and second. I also found it was forever hunting through the gears when A-roading at 50-60 mph.

I was toying with the idea of a CR170 DSG Superb estate but opted for the 6 speed manual considering I do about 40k a year. Once the warranty goes after 2 years with 80-90k on the clock I would feel somewhat vulnerable.

I have always driven manuals since I was 17 and I can't see myself switching to auto/DSG/whatever else they invent anytime soon.

My parents have a Grand Picasso with the EGS single clutch equivalent and its shocking by all accounts.

I had a 2.0TDI DSG Passat while my car was being straightened up and there were only two scenarios where I liked the DSG - traffic light grand prix and cruising on the motorway.

In heavy stop start traffic it was useless, very jerky and generally unable to make its mind up over first and second. I also found it was forever hunting through the gears when A-roading at 50-60 mph.

I was toying with the idea of a CR170 DSG Superb estate but opted for the 6 speed manual considering I do about 40k a year. Once the warranty goes after 2 years with 80-90k on the clock I would feel somewhat vulnerable.

I have always driven manuals since I was 17 and I can't see myself switching to auto/DSG/whatever else they invent anytime soon.

My parents have a Grand Picasso with the EGS single clutch equivalent and its shocking by all accounts.

Apart from the judder in 2nd which has led to the need to replace the mechatronic I have had none of the problemsa that people above have been talking about, maybe the 7speed DSG is a big improvement over the 6-speed or maybe I have just been lucky. Also the gear change ios so smooth that even if it can't make its mind up which one to be in you don't notice the changes, but if it does annoy you then just push the stick over and drive manually, it will still change down if the revs drop to low but you can control when it changes back up.

The EGS on the Citroens is an unholy nightmare to drive. They are lethal when trying to manoeuver in a tight space.

The latest DSGs are not too bad, the early ones were absolute pigs. When I was selling cars we had Audi TT DSG come through from time to time and I would say 50% had some sort of fault with the DSG. Difficult low speed behaviour (snatching in traffic) is often an indication of a fault with the clutches or mechatronic unit. Problem is the dealers are none too good at diagnosis so it often ends up as a 'credit card repair' when out of warranty (i.e. use the customers credit card to replace bits until it works properly).

By all accounts the latest 7 speed dry clutch units are much better - but still early days for them. 7 speeds is terribly complex though, and I really do wonder if you need 7 speeds. The current engines are pretty flexible, so it seems overkill to me.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately my Octy is now going back to the dealer for the 7th time due to the judder when puilling away in 2nd gear.

1. Test drive to demonstrate fault

2. Car left for 1 day to check of oil levels & various settings etc.

3. Car left for 2 days for mechatronic unit to be replaced, but the old unit could not be removed so car was returned

4. Car left for 1 day to replace mechatronic unit which was completed, however the problem was not fixed

5. Second test drive to show that fault was still present

6. Car left for 2 days to re-programme new mechatronic

7. Car required for another set of readings to be taken

8. ???

9. Will this ever end?

I have now written to Skoda UK Customer Service as this is starting to get rather frustrating I will let you know how this goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately my Octy is now going back to the dealer for the 7th time due to the judder when pulling away in 2nd gear.

1. Test drive to demonstrate fault

2. Car left for 1 day to check of oil levels & various settings etc.

3. Car left for 2 days for mechatronic unit to be replaced, but the old unit could not be removed so car was returned

4. Car left for 1 day to replace mechatronic unit which was completed, however the problem was not fixed

5. Second test drive to show that fault was still present

6. Car left for 2 days to re-programme new mechatronic

7. Car required for another set of readings to be taken

8. ???

9. Will this ever end?

I have now written to Skoda UK Customer Service as this is starting to get rather frustrating I will let you know how this goes.

No faults showed up with the readings that were taken, and visit No.8 is another test drive, this time with the after sales manager, although they are coming to me this time.

Sounds like a complete replacement transmission might be the best solution. Unless the after sales manager is some kind of technical genius (unlikely) this sounds like its going to be a waste of time. If they can't identify the fault using diagnostic tools then what's the point of another test drive?

Sounds like a complete replacement transmission might be the best solution. Unless the after sales manager is some kind of technical genius (unlikely) this sounds like its going to be a waste of time. If they can't identify the fault using diagnostic tools then what's the point of another test drive?

I guess that it is understandable why Skoda will try to save on replacement costs, I just hope that they don't do an Alfa on me and say that its unfortunate but it is a 'characteristic of the gear box'.

Skoda customer services did seem to be very understanding and was surprised at how polite I was at the prospect of a 7th visit to the garage but asked me to go through with this especially when it is to take some readings which probably should have been taken the first time although from the nature of the fault I am not surprised that they didn't find anything. I did mention the word compensation and they have promised that they will come up with something once (if) the problem has been sorted.