Mechatronic Unit

I had the chance to test drive another 1.8 TSI DSG which confirmed that there is definitely a problem with my gearbox. I am now booked in next week for a complete new gearbox, god knows how much this will cost, and I really hope that this fixes the problem, its a shame that this will be the 10th visit to the dealer.

I have asked about the possibility of compensation, so it will be interesting to see what is offered.

Fingers crossed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the chance to test drive another 1.8 TSI DSG which confirmed that there is definitely a problem with my gearbox. I am now booked in next week for a complete new gearbox, god knows how much this will cost, and I really hope that this fixes the problem, its a shame that this will be the 10th visit to the dealer.

I have asked about the possibility of compensation, so it will be interesting to see what is offered.

Fingers crossed

It is under warranty isn't it? Its a good £5k for a new gearbox retail afaik!

Last time I had involvement with a DSG replacement (on an Audi TT) the total bill was just under £7k. They are horrifically expensive.

To be honest it is best that the dealer is replacing the entire transmission. In my experience, repairs on a DSG have mixed results. Either the box still doesn't work properly or 12-24 months later the box fails again. I think the complexity is such that only the factory can properly assemble and test them. Remember that each Mechatronic Unit is individually made to its own unique spec. to match the particular box, which is then recorded in a database. Any replacement MU then has to be ordered from the factory with the VIN specified and built to that unique spec.

The Mechatronic has already been replaced so I don't know if they will have to fit another one. So with 2k for the mechatronic, 5k for the new DSG there was probably not a lot of profit for Skoda in my car. Will I get a new 3 year warrenty on the gearbox?

Parts replaced under warranty are usually warranted only until the original three-year warranty's expiration date. So if the car is 1 year old at the time of repair then you get 2 years warranty on the replacement parts. Parts replaced out of warranty are usually guaranteed one or two years, depending on the part.

Parts replaced under warranty are usually warranted only until the original three-year warranty's expiration date. So if the car is 1 year old at the time of repair then you get 2 years warranty on the replacement parts. Parts replaced out of warranty are usually guaranteed one or two years, depending on the part.

i think I am with jrw and may extend the warranty.

i think I am with jrw and may extend the warranty.

Yes, but check out the T&Cs of the warranty you choose.

1. Many excluded wear and tear, so if a DSG starts to change roughly or judder they may pass that off as wear and tear. Often a warranty requires that the car actually breaks down (i.e. cannot move under is own power).

2. Check claims limits - a DSG failure may exceed the claims limit of some policies.

Yes, but check out the T&Cs of the warranty you choose.

1. Many excluded wear and tear, so if a DSG starts to change roughly or judder they may pass that off as wear and tear. Often a warranty requires that the car actually breaks down (i.e. cannot move under is own power).

2. Check claims limits - a DSG failure may exceed the claims limit of some policies.

Thanks for the info a couple of very good points

there only £3161 dont know what all the fuss is about

Is that recon or new, and does it include the clutch pack? I have had some involvement with failed DSGs in the past (in the course of trade) and a replacement MU alone was £2k.

EDIT: Just looked up the details - in late 2007 MU for a TT 6-speed DSG was £1755+VAT. On another TT we had a complete transmission failure at 3.5 years old and 38k miles. Quote from Audi was about £5k for the gearbox - ended up with 75% goodwill, but still a £1k+ job.

Obviously prices can change, so its to be hoped that VAG are reducing the cost of ownership of these transmissions as well as making them more reliable.

Edited by Hauptmann

Is that recon or new, and does it include the clutch pack? I have had some involvement with failed DSGs in the past (in the course of trade) and a replacement MU alone was £2k.

EDIT: Just looked up the details - in late 2007 MU for a TT 6-speed DSG was £1755+VAT. On another TT we had a complete transmission failure at 3.5 years old and 38k miles. Quote from Audi was about £5k for the gearbox - ended up with 75% goodwill, but still a £1k+ job.

Obviously prices can change, so its to be hoped that VAG are reducing the cost of ownership of these transmissions as well as making them more reliable.

I would want 100% goodwill on 3.5 years old and 38k....had the box been serviced?

Under the Sales of Goods Act i would 'reasonably expect' a £5k+ gearbox to last longer than 38k miles!

I would want 100% goodwill on 3.5 years old and 38k....had the box been serviced?

Under the Sales of Goods Act i would 'reasonably expect' a £5k+ gearbox to last longer than 38k miles!

Its a bit complicated - the car was 'in trade' at the time.

IIRC a DSG box at 3.5Y and 38K would not have required any service (which is limited to oil change anyway).

Edited by Hauptmann

• 2 weeks later...

hi!i am having a mechatronic replaced in warranty as my skoda superb tsi is 12 months old. a week ago they claim to have replaced a part called clutch repair kit. is there anything i need to follow up on this with the service centre. and also is there a possibility of the mechatronic having a problem again after replacement

Edited by Sids

We are independent VAG sales/repair. We only do basic repair work on DSGs because of the complexity and difficulty of successful long-term repair. Clutch pack replacement is relatively straightforward. Mechatronic U replacement we would send to dealers and is not an easy job to get right. I would say 50% of mechatronic replacements are unsuccessful. A lot depends on the experience of the tech doing the job and the high turnover of techs these days means that you can get someone inexperienced doing it and balls it up.

We are independent VAG sales/repair. We only do basic repair work on DSGs because of the complexity and difficulty of successful long-term repair. Clutch pack replacement is relatively straightforward. Mechatronic U replacement we would send to dealers and is not an easy job to get right. I would say 50% of mechatronic replacements are unsuccessful. A lot depends on the experience of the tech doing the job and the high turnover of techs these days means that you can get someone inexperienced doing it and balls it up.

I read the procedure here, and it didn't seem too bad....

My parents have a Grand Picasso with the EGS single clutch equivalent and its shocking by all accounts.

+1. The worst gearbox I've ever used. It's the same one used in Peugeot's too.

+1. The worst gearbox I've ever used. It's the same one used in Peugeot's too.

I went in a C4 a couple of weeks back with this so called DSG equivilent! Never known a car lurch so much on a gearchange and it also took an eternity to change gear! The French can't beat the Germans at engineering, thats for sure.

Remember all the fuss a few years ago with the reviewers hating all the flappy paddle gearboxes on supercars? I believe they were all single clutch boxes - basically a manual without the clutch pedal. The VW units I believe were designed from the ground up. Wonder if the Citroen/Peugeot ones were just cobbled together?

Mike

Remember all the fuss a few years ago with the reviewers hating all the flappy paddle gearboxes on supercars? I believe they were all single clutch boxes - basically a manual without the clutch pedal. The VW units I believe were designed from the ground up. Wonder if the Citroen/Peugeot ones were just cobbled together?

Mike

Probably....They have bad press because of this but other manufacturers are now slowly starting to use dual clutch like the DSG.....well the Lambo and Ferrari have them i think. A DSG is a manual without a clutch pedal just the same but they have made it SOOOOO much better than any other 'automatic manual' i have ever driven.

I went in a C4 a couple of weeks back with this so called DSG equivilent! Never known a car lurch so much on a gearchange and it also took an eternity to change gear! The French can't beat the Germans at engineering, thats for sure.

The Citroen EGS ('SensoDrive') was developed by Getrag, a German company.

• 1 month later...

My dsg has started to make a whining noise when changing up from 1st to 2nd, but not (so far) when changing down from 2nd to 1st. I hope this not the start of an expensive problem.

I shall ask dealer to check this when the car goes for its first service, which will probably be when car is two years old. Thank God for 3 year warranty!