Indicator Bulbs replacement.

leckman

There is a topic on the honestjohn.co.uk website in which the poster says his Yeti will be in the workshop all day to have a front indicator bulb replaced!.

The bumper,grill etc will have to be removed to get at the headlamp unit.Seems abit silly to me.

There is a topic on the honestjohn.co.uk website in which the poster says his Yeti will be in the workshop all day to have a front indicator bulb replaced!.

The bumper,grill etc will have to be removed to get at the headlamp unit.Seems abit silly to me.

All day is probably an exaggeration, but it does take a lot to replace the indicator bulbs in front.

The good news is that it's the only one you cannot replace yourself.

Edited by Agerbundsen

Fairly true statement I'm afraid. From Factory the indicator bulb is effectively sealed in the headlight unit, to replace it you have to remove the headlight unit and 'break off' a bonded cover plate to access the bulb. The new bulb (from the dealer) will also come with a new cover plate and retaining screws in place of the bonded one.

TP

Fairly true statement I'm afraid. From Factory the indicator bulb is effectively sealed in the headlight unit, to replace it you have to remove the headlight unit and 'break off' a bonded cover plate to access the bulb. The new bulb (from the dealer) will also come with a new cover plate and retaining screws in place of the bonded one.

TP

So, Tim, once replaced with the removeable cover, can you then do it yourself?

So, Tim, once replaced with the removeable cover, can you then do it yourself?

Hi Agerbundsen,

it's a job for a DIY minded owner from the off I think, the only thing that might be a stumbling block is ensuring the headlight is correctly adjusted and aligned once you have re-fitted it.

5086471231_93929f13f7_z.jpg

Remove screws 6 - 1, 2 & 5 - expanding rivets 7 - screws 8 - remove bumper (Note: remember to remove headlight wash covers etc.) Fit in reverse order

5087066722_8be9286474_o.png

Turn off all electrics - disconnect electrical connector - remove arrowed fixing screws - remove headlight

5087066902_96545a66e2_o.png

Lever off bulb cover (1) for turn signal light using a screwdriver. Proceed carefully so that the bits of the cover do not fall into the headlight housing

- rotate and remove bulb socket and replace bulb

5087066972_cc54de62ff_o.png

After installing the new bulb, attach the replacement cover (2) with the O-ring seal (3) with screws (1) tighten to 1.5 Nm.

(Note: subsequent bulb replacements are in reverse order of above)

5086471085_167edf5e75.jpg

Loosely fasten screws A & B - align headlight with contours of wing (maintain gap size (not given) ). Slacken the fixing screw A (1) to align the headlight and subsequently change the height of the stop by turning the adjusting nut (2) (left-hand thread).

- after aligning the headlight according to the contours of the vehicle body, fasten all the fixing screws for the headlight to 4 Nm.

- refit bumper

- adjust headlight beam.

Regards,

TP

Hi Agerbundsen,

it's a job for a DIY minded owner from the off I think, the only thing that might be a stumbling block is ensuring the headlight is correctly adjusted and aligned once you have re-fitted it.

Incredible T.P.

Where do you find all this information?

Hi Agerbundsen,

5086471231_93929f13f7_z.jpg

Remove screws 6 - 1, 2 & 5 - expanding rivets 7 - screws 8 - remove bumper (Note: remember to remove headlight wash covers etc.) Fit in reverse order

5087066722_8be9286474_o.png

Turn off all electrics - disconnect electrical connector - remove arrowed fixing screws - remove headlight

5087066902_96545a66e2_o.png

Lever off bulb cover (1) for turn signal light using a screwdriver. Proceed carefully so that the bits of the cover do not fall into the headlight housing

- rotate and remove bulb socket and replace bulb

5087066972_cc54de62ff_o.png

After installing the new bulb, attach the replacement cover (2) with the O-ring seal (3) with screws (1) tighten to 1.5 Nm.

(Note: subsequent bulb replacements are in reverse order of above)

5086471085_167edf5e75.jpg

Loosely fasten screws A & B - align headlight with contours of wing (maintain gap size (not given) ). Slacken the fixing screw A (1) to align the headlight and subsequently change the height of the stop by turning the adjusting nut (2) (left-hand thread).

- after aligning the headlight according to the contours of the vehicle body, fasten all the fixing screws for the headlight to 4 Nm.

- refit bumper

- adjust headlight beam.

Regards,

TP

I'm surprised not more here have expressed their amazement and disapproval at this lengthy procedure just to change an indicator bulb.

Has anyone enquired what the cost of this would be out of warranty...(Indeed - could it considered an 'consumable' item and not covered under warranty anyway??) I think I would ask the question before ordering just to avoid unpleasant shocks afterwards.

When I were a lad you just had to trim the wick of the carriage lamp and check the oil having first secured the horses, of course.

• Like 3

I'm surprised not more here have expressed their amazement and disapproval at this lengthy procedure just to change an indicator bulb.

Has anyone enquired what the cost of this would be out of warranty...(Indeed - could it considered an 'consumable' item and not covered under warranty anyway??) I think I would ask the question before ordering just to avoid unpleasant shocks afterwards.

When I were a lad you just had to trim the wick of the carriage lamp and check the oil having first secured the horses, of course.

Bulbs arent a warranty item but the Yeti isnt alone in having to go through this ridiculous proceedure! Then again, I dont think Ive ever had to replace an indicator bulb on any of my cars before.

Bulbs arent a warranty item but the Yeti isnt alone in having to go through this ridiculous proceedure! Then again, I dont think Ive ever had to replace an indicator bulb on any of my cars before.

...except when it is an MoT failure because the orange paint has burnt off the bulb and it is showing more white than orange.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion with my previous Passat!!!

tom

Anyone know which adjuster is up & down, & which is side to side on headlamps on bi-Xenon cars?

Unlike Fords, there is no indication of this on the headlamp moulding and I'd rather like to lower the off-side beam which is slightly higher than the near-side, despite my dealer telling me that both are within specification. I'm sure I must be dazzling oncoming drivers.

Edited by speedsport

If your not getting flashed by oncoming cars at night I wouldn't worry...

I am, but I'm not sure if it's just having the HID lights, or if it's the O/S beam being set too high.

The answer of course is to try another Skoda dealer, but this all takes time.

I may just have to experiment with the adjusters to find which one adjusts vertically, and count how many flats I turn on the allen key if I need to regain the original settings

• 6 years later...

My 2016 FL Yeti has standard DRL incandescent bulbs and I would like to fit LEDS. The present incandescent bulbs are just too yellow and need to be more piercing.  Might deter some of the idiots pulling out in front of me with insufficient room.  Didn't seem to happen with the Octy.
Having read through this thread I really cannot believe the situation.  I've poked and prodded under the hood, it seems that the indicator and DRL bulbs really are out of sight.  How does all this work for the facelift 2016 model?  Is bulb replacement on the FL also a destructive affair?

At first view, Skoda seem to have lost their corporate mind.  Sealed lights for goodness sake!!  The old fashioned Lucas Sealed Beam headlamps could at least simply be swopped as units.  I shall take a wing liner out and see what I can discover.

Thanks to The Plumber for posting the diagrams.  It always helps to have an idea of the shape of the job before tackling.  And to know where to look for the fastenings.

There is a topic on the Yeti Owners Club site, where Skoda replied to correspondence, including this:   "Should the bulb require replacing in France you can take the vehicle to a ŠKODA retailer in France, again they would have their own labour charges".
Clearly, Skoda get all shapes and sizes of customer but having misspent my young days as a Motor Vehicle Technician, complete with a collection of relevant certificates I would not take kindly to be sent to a stealer for a bulb change. :angry:  It's as bad as having Halfords wanting to change the wiper blades on my Octavia Mk2 VRS. :blush:  (I hardly even want them to get close enough to read the number plate!)

The headlight and DRL bulbs on the pre-facelift model were not difficult to replace. You just needed to take the covers off the back of the lights and furtle around inside. I changed a few on mine.

Looking at the new model, and having changed the dipped bulbs for a Nightbreakers, i found that just as easy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Looking at the new model, and having changed the dipped bulbs for a Nightbreakers

The dipped (and high) bulbs are Bi-Xenon it's the high beam that are H7s

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the useful info on this topic, it has had me tearing what little hair I have left out. Couldn't believe it when the light failed just as we boarded the euro tunnel train at the start of our two month road trip round Scandinavia. Several people here and elsewhere thought access possible via the wheel arch when the liner is loosened and I can confirm this is true. Took the mechanic about 30 minutes 

Edited by Dave62

It was aparently an £80 job back in around 2012.

At the time skoda were claiming the bulb shoud last the life of the car, soon stopped saying that.

Always amazes me that if say you are in France you have to carry a spare bulb kit and repair any blown bulb before continuing thr journey or face a big fine if stopped. Yet many cars have some bulbs which can only be changed by a garage!

17 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Always amazes me that if say you are in France you have to carry a spare bulb kit and repair any blown bulb before continuing thr journey or face a big fine if stopped. Yet many cars have some bulbs which can only be changed by a garage!

In the 30+ years I've been going to France i have never known anyone being stopped, either to check they have a set of bulbs or to complain when they've had a bulb out.

• 4 years later...

Definitely very challenging, but not impossible.

The description and pictures of how to remove the bumper makes it look easier than it is.

1. To get to the 2 bolts between the front fender and bumper requires removal of most of the 18 screws attaching the front wheel well liner.

2. The push pin expanding plastic rivets top and bottom of the bumper are extremely difficult to remove - requires lubricant since the plastic is almost welded together. Be prepared to acquire spares or use alternative fixing methods. I did manage to get the four top ones out without damage. The three bottom ones ended up with mangled heads but did come out.

3. The aperture to access the indicator lamp is part of the original housing moulding with a thin part around the edge where it is intended to be removed.

Headlight alignment shouldn't be a major issue. The screws on the outside top and bottom are set to align the headlamp with the bodywork to the same clearance as the original. Headlight aiming is internal to the headlight assembly.

Worst case scenario, the old fashioned headlight aiming method requires little equipment - a wall, about 5-10 metres and chalk. Mark the main beam center or dipped beam to with vehicle close to wall. Back up. There is a specification of how much the lights should aim slightly down with distance. Can't remember the figure.

Having gotten into the headlight assembly, the indicator lamp is still functional. Still chasing the electrical gremlin that still says nearly all the bulbs front right and left rear need checking when I have tested them all and replaced a few that were blown or burned looking.

Anyone know the price of the lamp plus cover?? Part number??