Felicia Baffled Sump Thread

TeflonTom

hi folks, i've been suffering with real bad oil surge on my pickup since fitting the 1600cc engine.. it's mainly when accelerating really hard or when taking a long left hand bend quite fast.. the oil is surging up and getting whipped up by the crankshaft which is causing some pretty interesting oil consumption issues....

i know this may not be relevant to the folks with the 1300 skoda engines, and also although my engine is a 16v the sump is exactly the same part on the 1.6 aee 8v engine so this thread may be of use to somebody :thumbup:

first of all i've oredered a brand spanking new sump and oil pickup pipe from tps, came to about £75 so it wasn't cheap, but i wanted a brand new spotlessly clean sump to work with

000_0013.jpg

i then got a thin strip of 2mm thick aluminum from B&Q for a couple of quid and cut out some little brackets to hold the oil pickup pipe in the correct fitted position, bolted all together using M6 bolts.. next job is to figure out what the mean oil level is inside the sump with it sat at the correct angle as if it were fitted to the engine in the car.. (leans forward 15 degrees).

more on this thread later....

Edited by TeflonTom

Sounds interesting Tom!

I know the 1.3 could suffer oil starvation with hard cornering so would be along the same lines as your problems really.

What are you going to make the baffles out of? Will it just be mesh kind of stuff to just stop it sloshing around in the sump?

Phil

what ya gonna do Tom? make a windage tray to run above the upper oil level?

Oh btw the breather mod on my AEE has sorted the oil being forced up the breather problem from left handers now :yes:

What are you going to make the baffles out of? Will it just be mesh kind of stuff to just stop it sloshing around in the sump?

ah phil you diamond... i hadn't thought of that :wonder: i was planning of just using some 1mm mild steel welding plate and drilling some holes to let the oil through... the idea is to take some proper accurate measurements then draw it up on autocad (like everybody does of course!) then print out some cardboard templates.. then use a dill mounted nibbler to cut them out from steel.... but i really do like the idea of using small pieces of mesh instead of drilling holes

what ya gonna do Tom? make a windage tray to run above the upper oil level?

Oh btw the breather mod on my AEE has sorted the oil being forced up the breather problem from left handers now :yes:

yes, make a windage tray that sits a few mm above the mean oil level obviously there needs to be a hole for the dipstick tube and pickup pipe and a few drain holes... then in addition underneath it have a few vertical fins to reduce sideways surge...

the crankcase breather is next on my modification list too, i also get oil flowing up into the airbox on heavy left handers too which i guess is purely caused by vacuum.. i think i mentioned it before somewhere that i'm going to rework my power robbing induction/intake system and also fit a catch tank that breaths from the rocker cover only

just as an aside to this, a mate of mine has some racelogic timing gear, i've been having a bit of a fiddle with the ignition timing this evening and i'm getting circa 7.6 seconds 0-60 times at the moment

good call on a crank scraper darren, but i think it would be extremely difficult to engineer, the tolerances have to be really really tight. (like sub 1mm).. besides i dont think it's worth the effort on a road going engine.

000_0015.jpg

quickly made up a jig for holding the sump in the correct position/angle out of some bits of M6 threaded bar

000_0017.jpg

now i've gone and burnt my finger by being a total bellend.. more on this thread later....

Edited by TeflonTom

• 2 weeks later...

dont forget the oil needs to get back down too mate. I know some one who siezed a 16v vauxhall 1600 by not giving enough return flow (they do hold a lot of oil in the head tho not sure about the vw)

• 1 month later...

Tom what do you do for a living, this is hardly diy mechanics, are you a engineer of sorts?

work in the theatre nowadays doing sound and lights but i am apprentice trained engineer.

tbh this is really simple stuff that most people could do if they applied thier mind to it :yes:

000_0040.jpg

it was quite difficult to get a decent weld on this sump for some reason, must be quite low grade steels they use for cheapness.. all done ready to fit, had to do some re-shaping with an angle grinder to make it fit,