Help required removing door lock

bubba

Just noticed today that my rear offside passenger door will not unlock and is impossible to open. It was working a few days ago, yet today when I went to open it, the door was locked. I tried the remote locking again and all the other doors unlock, just not this one. I even tried turning the key in the drivers door and no joy.

From the inside of the car, I have tried to pull on the handle and open the door, but it won't budge. The door lock pin goes up, but then as soon as you let go of the handle, it goes back down again. It feels as if something is stuck, as when you are pulling on the internal door handle, its got a lot of resistance.

Any ideas on what the cause could be??

Its a 2004 Octavia VRS

many thanks

Neil

Edited by bubba

Guest westallc

its not a hard job to do yourself just takes an age lol

new lock is around £60

you have to give the door car a good tug this will force it off by breaking the plastic clips ( dont worry 14p each from skoda )

then you have to smash the plastic lock mechanism off from around the lock exposing the inner working of the lock and you can then fiddle with the mechanism and one of the bars will unlock it ( easyier said than done but not to bad imo took me 2 hrs to do the whole job)

one undone fit new door lock ( the easy part )

job done

skoda will charge a small fortune in labour as its one of them jobs that could take 30mins or 5 hours if that makes sense

hth

its not a hard job to do yourself just takes an age lol

new lock is around £60

you have to give the door car a good tug this will force it off by breaking the plastic clips ( dont worry 14p each from skoda )

then you have to smash the plastic lock mechanism off from around the lock exposing the inner working of the lock and you can then fiddle with the mechanism and one of the bars will unlock it ( easyier said than done but not to bad imo took me 2 hrs to do the whole job)

one undone fit new door lock ( the easy part )

job done

skoda will charge a small fortune in labour as its one of them jobs that could take 30mins or 5 hours if that makes sense

hth

+ 1 I did mine in about 2 hours too and no broken clips :-)

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the tips, I forgot about this thread, as the problem "went away" after posting......sadly today it came back :D

Guess I'll be pulling out the door card on my day off :)

Anyone know the part number by chance?

The catch deadlocks itself.

More often then not its caused by a poorly set Bowden cable between the handle and the catch. If it's over adjusted it doesn't allow the lever to return to it's rest position so the deadlock can't release.

• Like 1

Hopefully you can see my image attached

Is this the but I'm supposed I smash the plastic off? Only taken me an hour to get this far :D lost a bit of skin on the way

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47602334@N04/5891178386/

Edit - Managed to get the door locking screws out and eventually got the door unlocked!

Just need to buy a new lock and get some Torx keys big enough to remove the bolts securing the lock. Haven't even checked to see how many clips I broke :giggle:

Edited by bubba

OK I need a hand with the door lock mounting screws (on the rear edge of the door). I can't seem to find a tool to remove the screws! I have tried a size 40 Torx tool, but its too small and the next size up I could find was too big.

Anybody any idea what size it is?

I bought the door lock today and I'm now £112 lighter!! I thought Skoda's were cheap :rofl:

I think that it is a spline 8 tool that is needed.

Google returned these results, but can't figure out what a spline 8 tool is :)

Google

Having another go in the morning before work, really need to get it done, as I won't take the kids out in the car with thedodgey door lock

This looks like the one:

Laser 0592

Thanks, I've ordered one from Amazon. As the door lock is currently working again, I've put the car back together until the tools arrive. The door card is a royal pain in the ass to get back on! Didn't break any clips, but struggled to line them all back up

Finally finished! Old lock removed and new one installed. The tool was the number 8 star tool and once I had that, the rest was easy.

Thanks to everyone for their advice

• 4 months later...

Hopefully you can see my image attached

Is this the but I'm supposed I smash the plastic off? Only taken me an hour to get this far :D lost a bit of skin on the way

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47602334@N04/5891178386/

Edit - Managed to get the door locking screws out and eventually got the door unlocked!

Just need to buy a new lock and get some Torx keys big enough to remove the bolts securing the lock. Haven't even checked to see how many clips I broke :giggle:

What screws did you have to undo? You posted a picture, did you have to dismantle the green part, to get inside...? then once inside, which bit did you 'wiggle'

• 2 years later...

The catch deadlocks itself.

More often then not its caused by a poorly set Bowden cable between the handle and the catch. If it's over adjusted it doesn't allow the lever to return to it's rest position so the deadlock can't release.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the above folks, helped me change my NS rear door lock when the door would no longer unlock.

If it helps any one else, there are two screws at the very bottom of the door card which can be removed with the door shut. Then, after prising off the grab handle cover to remove the two cross-head screws behind and the removing the cover behind the inner door handle and disconnecting the mechanical and electrical cable connections (plus the window winder if manual), you have to really tug the door card to release it from the clips. I also used a car trim tool with a 90 degs hook to hook behind the card at rear end and pull,it towards the rear of the car which helps it clear the clips. I managed without breaking any.

Once free of the clips free the top of the card by pulling upwards vertically. Then you must free the top half of the protective plastic film. I found this impossible to free without tearing it! It seemed quite brittle at the top end but was more pliable lower down the door. Tearing it necessitated the use of 2" wide clear parcel tape to repair on reassembly.

Now to the door lock itself. I found that I could remove three of the screws holding the green half ( this was white on the new lock from Skoda) of the lock to the black half. After removing the screws I used a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool to cut away most of the accessible green part and get access the inside of the lock. I levered out some of the mechanism and by generally fiddling about and levering the two halves apart while regularly pulling on the inner door release cable I managed to open the door. This avoids hammering and smashing things. If you don't have and cannot beg steal or borrow a Dremel tool you might consider a purchase. They are not expensive if you avoid the big brand names and very useful for kinds of tasks.

Note that to fit the new lock it is necessary to remove the outer door handle in order to connect the release cable from the outer handle to the lock.