THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

Ne'er cast a clout till may is oot.   True for your simmet as it is for winter tyres, location location.. Obviously

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have previously used Bridgestone,  Continental and Nokian winter tyres, the Nokians were by far the best. 

(Now on my 4th set of Nokians). 

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

The Contis consistently do well in tests and perhaps accounts for their higher price.

Not so sure about the Dunlops. The tread pattern looks slightly unconventional.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Shame the emergency services mainly ignore winter or all season tyres...

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Fears-for-safety-as-lack-of-snow-tyres-on-999-vehicles-is-revealed-13022018.htm

FOI request re the emergency services in Scotland stats:-

Police;- 3340 fleet, 158 have winter tyres routinely fitted, 145 have "all seasons" 

Fire:- "Does not fit any winter tyres to any vehicle, van or truck as it believes it contravenes the manufactures specs for load/speed index for such vehicles."

Ambulance:- 1451 fleet, are fitted with cold weather or "all season" but only when the summers reach a tread depth of 3mm.

The article mentions an accident in Feb 2016 which involved two fire trucks sliding of the B9006 on black ice...whilst responding to a RTA.

Basically don't count on this lot being in control if you see them driving towards you in winter...

Total cluster feck.....

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I have not read the whole thread.

If you might face serious snow, it's worth checking which wheel & tyre combinations for your car can fit chains. I was surprised to discover that the standard wheels on my Superb do not have sufficient clearance for chains (at least, I assume that's why Skoda state that chains cannot be fitted). Fortunately my winter wheels are slightly narrower and with less offset than the standards so I can fit my chains - although it's struggle, even on dry, flat ground. There ain't a lot of room!

So, if you are looking at buying winter tyres, best check which size(s) will accept chains.

• 1 month later...

I posted this elsewhere but just found (being a Newbie) this thread where others may come and look.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-20172018-results-by-category

The Conti WintercontactTS860's are very highly rated with the Michelin CrossClimate and Goodyear 4Seasons also standing out. The final choice is balance for the individual - their preferences, requirements and circumstances (Scots Highlands isn't needing the same as Cornwall). The angle of the article is running these tyres all year with the Michelin being summers adapted for winter and the Conti's being winters adapted for the summer.

I previously ran the Conti's and found them very good all year and brilliant in the recent snows. My latest Scout has part worn Sportcontacts so I'm going to try and wear them out before the end of the year (any excuse).

• 3 months later...

I really hated the Nokian d4 tyres as after less than 4 months and maybe 10k miles the edges on the tyres were  visibly cracking on the fronts and to a lesser extent on the rears.

it was sufficient that the tyre warning came on and all the pressures were ok.

when I had a proper look the tread was flaking away.

i got a set of a4 instead and these are much better. 

Unfortunately, I contacted Nokian who referred me to the UK dealer. I contacted them nd they sorted out a good price on the a4, however even though I put a warranty claim

in via the tyre dealer with pictures the said they didn’t get anything from Nokian.

sad really as I ran WR, WR g2, A3 and d4 and a4.

if they had supported for the d4 I would have gone Nokian again, but I think it’s just not ok.

may look at Michelin of conti options this time as they’re much easier to get locally if there is a problem.

i will say however the grip in cold dry, cold snow and just generally in winter was excellent.

As always your mileage may vary.

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2018 at 17:50, Offski said:

Certainly in the conditions experienced in Canada I suspect full-winter tyres are "much safer", but in the UK I've been very happy with my current (all-season) Michelin Cross Climate's. I'd previously run full winter tyres (on 16" rims) on both an earlier 2WD and current 4x4 Yeti and the Cross Climates have proved pretty adept in all conditions, including deep snow and ice.

I also don't miss the yearly ritual of fitting the winter tyres and storing the 17" alloys.

Given a current lack of (affordable) decent all-season options for my SEAT Toledo, I plan to continue with my 15" steel rims / 185/60/15 Continental winter tyres (TS850) November - March, in place of the horribly low profile Bridgestone Potenza RE050 215/40/17 summer tyres / alloy wheels fitted, as standard.

@ pinkpanther - Would you consider when the Bridgestone Potenza 17" tyres need replacing fitting the 15" CC wheels to the car for year round usage? Would save on bi-annual swaps and 15" tyres are much cheaper to purchase than 17".  

Edited by Smileyman

Real point is the not really even 3 season tyres that Skoda SUV or just haldex equipped cars arrive in the UK with as the OEM tyres.

Bridgestone Duelers are a joke even for the South of the UK if only a days or just hours of snow in a winter.

Looks like being a few years until owners / drivers of Skoda EV's or Hybrids need to think if they need Winter or all weather tyres.

Maybe Skoda will have All-Weather / All-Seasons on as OEM or an Option...

Maybe next week there will be more Briskoda members getting their Winter or All-weathers on of not on this week.

On 21/10/2018 at 20:48, Smileyman said:

@ pinkpanther - Would you consider when the Bridgestone Potenza 17" tyres need replacing fitting the 15" CC wheels to the car for year round usage? Would save on bi-annual swaps and 15" tyres are much cheaper to purchase than 17".  

I'm not concerned by the aesthetic considerations of running the 15" steel rims, so would happily keep them on all year round. 15" Cross Climate's would certainly be cheaper than the 17" (225/50/17) fitted to my Yeti, but given the very low tyre wear rate seen with the lightweight Rapid / Toledo I suspect the Potenza's will out-last my ownership of the car!

1 minute ago, pinkpanther said:

I'm not concerned by the aesthetic considerations of running the 15" steel rims, so would happily keep them on all year round. 15" Cross Climate's would certainly be cheaper than the 17" (225/50/17) fitted to my Yeti, but given the very low tyre wear rate seen with the lightweight Rapid / Toledo I suspect the Potenza's will out-last my ownership of the car!

My Conti winter's vwill also probably out-last the car. I've had them for a few years now (fitted,to previous Rapid and spaceback) and they are showing little wear.

On 22/10/2018 at 11:19, Offski said:

Looks like being a few years until owners / drivers of Skoda EV's or Hybrids need to think if they need Winter or all weather tyres.

Maybe Skoda will have All-Weather / All-Seasons on as OEM or an Option...

Maybe next week there will be more Briskoda members getting their Winter or All-weathers on of not on this week.

Yes, at least Fiat were partially sensible the Panda 4x4 and Cross, delivering them on all-seasons.

Mine are going on this weekend.  Might need their bite for a December trip to Oban in the old faithful.  New car had Contis fitted straight after collection and I'm starting to put the Haldex horses through their paces now. Too much OE carbon (esp. splitter) to risk in the snow though. Very pleased so far with the sticky rubber.

• Like 1

WARNING

Apparently a number of UK insurance companies now invalidate your policy if you fit tyres that are not same as originals.

Check your insurance before you buy smaller steel wheels and winter tyres

You mean different size I presume and not summer/all season/winter or different tyre make/model.

Impossible to enforce, if you buy a second hand car for instance, where previous owner changed them with insurance co blessing. Or indeed if your insurance co agrees, but then you change to another company on renewal.

If it's an approved size from the manufacturers list, can't see how they can invalidate.

I think by law they cannot invalidate the third party cover element unless the application was fraudulent, even so in limited circumstances.