THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

You have got the same logic as me in keeping the tyre size as original fit. A tyre compound that doesn't harden when temperatures fall below -7c will offer the grip advantage needed over the winter months. It would be interesting to see a test of 225's vs 205's both in winter compounds to really see if a difference exists, probably minimal. It grates on me to put narrower tyres/steel wheels on as the bulk of the time I will be driving on mainly cold/wet tarmac during the winter months. I expect the reason that narrower tyres are recommended is to allow for fitment of snow chains, my Octavia Scout appears to have plenty of clearance as does the Yeti and there is always the option of SnowSocks or the Michelin Easy Grip Composite Snow Chains (low in profile) as a back up. My other concern and why I want to stick with original tyre size is with the insurance companies varied response to changing your wheels/tyres/speed index from factory fitted tyres, some see it as a good excuse to load your premium.

The main reason for using smaller rims is simply that 15" or 16" tyres are massively cheaper than 17's or 18's. You have to go for narrower tyres to compensate for the higher profile needed to retain the overall rolling circumference when using smaller rims. As for insurance etc-many cars are offered from new with different wheel sizes-the Octavia can be bought with 15" right up to 18".

The whole idea of a second set of wheels with winter tyres is to save the cost, time & risk of damage of getting tyres mounted/demounted from standard wheels-this can cost up to £40 a time for four tyres. A second hand set of steel wheels could be bought for less than this!

Oh & if you kerb them in the snow, you don't have expensive alloys to replace..... :)

Narrow profile tyres have a smaller footprint therefore the weight of the car forces the tyres through the snow onto the road surface below. Wide profile tyres simply 'float' on top of the snow and provide little purchase; hence narrow is better for winter tyres.

• Like 1

We had 3" fall on Monday morning. Been very impressed with the Nokian WR G2 tyres; tried flooring it in 2nd just to see if I could get the wheels to spin and the ESP to kick in. Not a sniff of a slip from any corner, even when braking. Just wish I'd had the car/tyres back in December.

• 2 weeks later...

Defo worth getting a full set, i went for mud/snow tyres on a set of 16" steel rims the same size as the spare(bit different than the 18"s). Ive had 3 seasons out of them now and just packed them away ready for next winter this is an area we become careless and just throw them in the corner of the garage to rot, not me a tyre rack and cover anti mold/rot 15 euro online well worth the investment.

Safe driving

vrs drivers

I got me one of these

Neat idea. The only snag is that I can't tell the difference between the two wheel trees that are shown; apart from the price.

Overall; I've been keeping an eye on the market for 'summer tyres', as I want to change over in 4 weeks time, and seems like prices are on the up.

I've run Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas success fully on my Octavia so looking for them in 225/45 18 for my Yeti.

Seems like they are in short supply still (New year production not yet filtering through the supply chain) except http://www.tyremen.co.uk/ have them in stock at very competitive prices. ;):thumbup:

Neat idea. The only snag is that I can't tell the difference between the two wheel trees that are shown; apart from the price.

I think the first one has a separate base at the bottom of the tree:

20.jpg

On the cheap one the bottom most tyre seems to form the base of the tree:

40.jpg

When I asked they said "The base of dearer one is made of metal and the cheaper one is made of hard plastic."

Ah... now you mention that if you look carefully on the cheaper one there is one tiny leg sticking out! I went and bought the £19,99 one and also added the £4,99 cover for it.

Ah... now you mention that if you look carefully on the cheaper one there is one tiny leg sticking out! I went and bought the £19,99 one and also added the £4,99 cover for it.

So this will take my 225/50 17 Yeti wheels & tyres? I know the description says for 'up to 225' tyres but just want to be sure.

Yes they will take up to 8.5" with 255/35 wheels. Not much, but still a bit of air between the tyres. :yes:

225 will fit without problems, had my std zeniths in 18 and my BBS VZ033 in 18 on them. Now my audi wheels are stored on them.

Cant take a picture of them now, as I am in Switzerland.

Edited by magic62

So this will take my 225/50 17 Yeti wheels & tyres? I know the description says for 'up to 225' tyres but just want to be sure.

I'll tell you as soon as it gets delivered! :yes:

Yes they will take up to 8.5" with 255/35 wheels. Not much, but still a bit of air between the tyres. :yes:

225 will fit without problems, had my std zeniths in 18 and my BBS VZ033 in 18 on them. Now my audi wheels are stored on them.

Cant take a picture of them now, as I am in Switzerland.

I'll tell you as soon as it gets delivered! :yes:

Thanks Gents. Sound good, I might just make a small investment. ;)

PS> got my Ultrac Sessantas delivered just now; 24 hours phone order to delivery. :thumbup: Will tuck them away safely for a few weeks until I change them over end of March.

Hi Guy,

it is a good and small investment. Used to pile up my wheels (for both cars) and that wasnt to my liking.

Now they are stored the way it should be. My son calls them our wheel forrest :giggle:

Try to get the set with a cover. Or cover them with plastic or old blankets.

Hi Guy,

it is a good and small investment. Used to pile up my wheels (for both cars) and that wasnt to my liking.

Now they are stored the way it should be. My son calls them our wheel forest :giggle:

Try to get the set with a cover. Or cover them with plastic or old blankets.

I've got a 'garden chair' cover that I use at present that works fine but currently stack with some cardboard between the tyres. Clearly the bottom wheel is taking the strain of the other three on top of it. I must buy .....

Yes they will take up to 8.5" with 255/35 wheels.

I assume you have used one of these with 255 tyres? Is it one of the ones linked on this page?

I've been looking for ages but have never found anything which says it can be used with tyres wider than 225 (my rears are 255).

If you have actually used it with 255's and it works ok then I'll get one. :thumbup:

My Audi wheels are 8.5x19 with 255/35 tyres and they are stacked on exactly the same wheel tree as linked above.

Not much room between the tyres, but better than just piling them up.

And you could always put a smaller front between two rears.