Help Driving a DSG in the snow

I have never driven an auto in the snow before.

Driving home earlier today I had an absolute mare with the car just spinngin the wheels.

In a manual, I would have put it into second, but this cannot be done with my DSG box.

Not going to change the tyres for a few days a year.

Any ideas, or am I going to have to get used to dumping the car and walking?

thanks in advance.

You should be able to knock the gear lever over into manual mode and push it forward or backwards to change up and down the gears manually!!

except the nature of the DSG box means that it won't let you use a gear that your not in an acceptable speed range for. Ie it won't let you pull away in 2

Edited by octaviaconvert

Erm,

May I make a wee comment. :rofl:

I resorted to buying winter tyres, fitted yesterday, one at each corner :giggle:

Seems to work.

Cheers

M

I wish I could, but haven't got the spare cash, or anywhere to store my normal tyres.

AFAIK you cannot control the clutch on DSG as you can with a manual. I believe that pulling away in a DSG on snow/ice is always a problem. My neighbours Lexus just couldnt cope with any snow/ice because the feed of power from standstill to moving is just too aggresive with no feathering possible. The "snow" button or starting in 2nd didnt help anything. I believe it had traction control but all that did was made sure both wheels spin instead of one.

I wish that the DSG had a "snow" setting as had the old Borg Warner slush boxes I have owned previously.

The "snow" setting modified the auto change point programme and made driving in the snow a lot easier - although no substitute for having snow tyres.

I think Skoda are missing a trick by not having an equivalent setting on the DSG.

I used to have an Altea with DSG box and it was great for most of the time, but I dreaded snow and ice with it. As has been said, you have no control over the clutch release and it used to break traction so easily from rest. I tried turning off ESP and popping it into manual. That was the best combination I found, on that car anyway.

Winter tyres make a huge difference, but the OP probably didn't want to hear that one, so best thing is to find some deserted road or piece of tarmac and practice with settings to find what you think works best. Pretty much what I did with the Altea. ( Sold that earlier in the year)

Yep. The same problem back in February with the snow then. Absolutely horrendous time with the DSG box. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to go, absolutely hopeless.

I agree with minimoke, it needs a "Winter Setting" to allow finer control of the box. I know that I'll be saving up some cash to get some winter tyres in the summer next year when they're cheap!

Although we haven't had that much snow down here I haven't had any problem with my car driving in snow and ice, even with the standard Michelin Pilot tyres on. What works for me is to let the car take up the drive on tickover and only then give it the gentlest of throttle applications, it will soon change up to 2nd and you can then start to pick up speed.

Ian

I drive a superb DSG, and so far have had no problems driving/pulling away on snow and compacted ice. I let the car do all the work and only apply throttle once the car is actually rolling. If you hold the car on the footbrake in D and slowly let off the foot brake then the car will gently pull away, if you simply release the footbrake then the clutches tend to grab very quickly and give a small moment of wheelspin. My car has ESP rather than ASR, so as soon as wheel starts spinning the brakes are applied on that single wheel until the spinning stops. With ESP you can plant the throttle into the carpet and still pull away with relative ease on ice.

I dont know why most people on here are getting a hard on over snow tyres, FFS every thread comes down to it. I`ve never had a problem driving in the snow / ice with standard tyres

I dont know why most people on here are getting a hard on over snow tyres, FFS every thread comes down to it. I`ve never had a problem driving in the snow / ice with standard tyres

I agree, my car is currently fitted with the cheapest available summer tyre and getting around and stopping has been fine.

Tim31,

I have driven for 33 years on mostly inexpensive tyres (but not complete rubbish), without difficulty, in all conditions.

This last 12 or 13 years I have been running on Van tyres (with the higher payload rating for the Galaxy)

My first experience of problems in snow slippery conditions was this year in the DSG Octavia, on the "as fitted" Bridgestone tyres.

And I have driven in as bad conditions previousley.

These appear to have hugh circumferential grooves, and otherwise relatively smooth rubber, (this compared to winter tyres.)

I did not have any reason to fault the DSG gearbox or hold it liable, (as it thinks like me) therefore I focussed on the tyres.

Having "lost it" whilst very slowly reversing downhill I think this was a reasonable assumption/conclusion.

From my limited experience so far this was the correct decision, as the Continentals TS's I got fitted are much better.

I did not particularly relish spending near £400.00 on tyres, but it was cheaper & less hassle than needlessly stuffing the motor.

Hopefully over the intended 250k life of the car I will get value out of both sets of tyres, and a wheen more sets forby.

PS

Mannyo,

I wholly agree with your driving technique in the snow, it works for me too.

Cheers

M

Edited by dieseldogg

I drive a superb DSG, and so far have had no problems driving/pulling away on snow and compacted ice. I let the car do all the work and only apply throttle once the car is actually rolling. If you hold the car on the footbrake in D and slowly let off the foot brake then the car will gently pull away,

Same here. Winter tyres will make a huge difference, but I don't thunk DSG is any harder than a manual if you use the above technique.

The difference is immense. It might vary according to your brand of tyres, but IME the difference is huge.