Gear linkage adjustment - Video no longer available.

RichOctVrs

I used this how to video to do the gear linkage adjustment on my Mk1 Octavia VRS.

The gearchange seems much more slick now. Engaging 1st or changing between 1st & 2nd was always a bit clunky but is now much improved :thumbup:

Volkswagen Group Shift Linkage Adjustment for year models 2000-2010

I had intended to remove the air box but found I could reach everything I needed without doing so.

Be gentle with the locking lever though, it’s only plastic. I had to vary the amount of pressure on the bracket until I got I just right so the locking lever turned smoothly.

Edited by RichOctVrs

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes thanks for the info Rich.

My gearchange was ok, but I thought after 90k miles the cables might be stretched slightly so it would be worthwhile doing. There might be a slight improvement from 3rd to 2nd.

One thing I had a small bit of difficulty was locking the arm on the gearbox. I found that I need to turn and push the black plastic lever in at the same time.

• 2 months later...

Hello

I have a new skoda octavia tour 2(1.4mpi 80hp 2011) and tried to do the gear linkage adjustment just like in the movie and like in the repair manual of Skoda Octavia 2.

I have a little problem because when I try to block the gear lever I can not find any tool that is both round and in star

I have attached pictures so you can see.

What tool do you recomand to use to make the correct linkage adjustment?

I try to do Gear linkage adjustment because 4-5 times per day does not come in first gear.

PS: the engine code is CGGA and the gear box code is LEG.

Can anyone tell me if my gear linkage is made from rods or or cables?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/p1070715.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/863/09062011050.jpg

Excuse my english but not british.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm really glad I watched the video. My Fabia 1.4 8v has the same cable gearshift mechanism and it was really difficult to select first gear. I realised I needed to adjust one of the cables with the knurled plastic wheels on top of the gearbox casing, but I couldn't understand why I couldn't turn it. The video made it clear that I was doing the wrong thing. I've now adjusted the length of the cable by just 2 notches and first gear now selects really easily.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...