Felicia 256mm Vented Brakes Upgrade

TeflonTom

picture shows the spacing of the carrier bracket to the disc, although i've got the angle slightly off it's more or less bang on central in the carrier, notice the through bolt holding the carrier to the upright, there's literally only a couple of mm clearance to the brake disc so it's vitally important you use bolts the right length

100_0815.jpg

the next part is also of great importance, i've fully bolted the disc/upright/carrier and caliper together (without the brake pads) and bolted the hub to the wheel, check all round for any clearance issues with the caliper and wheel, the wheels pictured here are mk2 golf g60 15" steel wheels so there's absolutely no chance of anything fouling the caliper on these, but you will need at least 14" wheels to do this conversion, i'm not going to suggest any types or makes of wheels which will fit, it's entirely up to you to check this yourself

100_0817.jpg

(left hand side setup shown here, caliper bleed nipple closest top and brake pipe union facing upwards)

i suggest checking the wheel to caliper clearance if possible before you even get the spanners out on the car, you don't want to have you car sat up on axle stands when you realize the wheels no longer fit over the brakes

• 2 weeks later...

brakes all fitted, caused me major balls-ache too, not because of the brakes of brake components, struggled like buggery to get the ball joint out of the left hand upright, plus the end of the brake pipe snapped off when i tried to undo the union, all the bolts were rusted solid even though they've only been in there a few months, accidently nicked one of my cv boots in the process and then accidently whacked myself across my right cheek bone with a breaker bar :giggle: so a simple one hour job ended up taking nearly a whole day (with many a rain shower thrown in for good measure)... right, enough of my tale of woe and onto the brakes

one word... savage! best upgrade i've ever done to this pickup, they aren't bedded in fully yet but they bight really well and you don't even notice the longer brake pedal travel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used KIA ones as you did. They fitted perfectly and brake pad is lined with brake disc, thats better than with Renault version.

For others: Did you know that Scorpio till 1992 (or so) used M10 bolts for mounting brake caliper brakets, everything else is the same as for Mondeo. ;) With KIA discs its plug&play.

yes the scorpio has the same setup as a sierra (well the uk spec ones do anyway) so that would be much better choice, sadly scorpio's and sierra's are getting a lot more difficult to find nowadys, remember it's been 20 odd years since the last ones were made for the uk, don't know about the rest of the world though

• 3 weeks later...

So basically apart from making holes 12mm, grinding a smidge off the carriers and making sure that the bolts dont foul the disks everything else fits on no problem?

Would it be possible to do this without taking uprights etc off the car?

yeah it all fits absolutely kosher... i don't recommend drilling the lugs in the uprights with them still on the car, it's vital that the holes are dead true and centred properly

Impressive.

And all the parts you need are mk1 mondeo calipers and carriers(new pads) and Kia Rio (mk2) 2005> discs?

If so then looks like a cheap and effective upgrade.

I think im going to have a blast at this, but using the sierra/granada bits save taking all the other bits off....

will post pics when complete

remember if you are going to use sierra calipers they need to be from the ABS equipped model which uses 260mm discs, the others use a 240mm disc/caliper setup... also the 4x4 models have a different caliper offset so they are no good

Was sold the calipers, now on the pickup, as sierra 4x4 ones, they needed the lugs drilling and tapping but fit no probs. Used the same thread and 10.9 bolts as the skoda, as the set up seemed stronger.

They are the ones that have a flat spring plate across the outside of the unit to keep it true.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The only thing I will say is that the sierra calipers on mine seem to use the disk right up to the outer edge where there is a ring round the disk in that pic where the pads are not running on it,

Also I'm needing some new disks soon as they are cracking on the surface but thats more to do with using them with mintex 1144 pads and 3 road rallys on them I guess :rofl: .

What piston size are the mondeo calipers Tom? I'm thinking of using some on the next project car due to being newer and easier to find.

Really has been a fit and forget conversion for me and even with the last road rally using lots of forestry tracks timed to the second we had no problems at all with brake fade.