How to repair ESP/ABS fault with VAG repair kit

My dealer is quoting £426 fitted for the repair using this part , doesnt seem too bad , what do you reckon chances of getting a little goodwill on top are , anyone tried ??

My car is a 56 plate PD VRS with 66k on it and a full dealer history

Update No goodwill from Skoda at all , dealer gave me a little to drop the price and the final bill was £380, according to the dealer the part has gone up again in price (since last week when mine was ordered) now £280 ish

I personally cannot believe you haven't got any goodwill on this.

The Full Skoda Service History and this being a known fault, I'd personally want to be aiming for at least 50%.

Have you contacted Skoda UK yourself - or relying on the dealer doing it on your behalf?

I left it to the dealer, they said they had contacted Skoda and Skoda had said no because the car is over 5 years old (nearly 6) and had 68,000 miles on it , I have no reason to disbelieve them. I will however be writing to Skoda myself

Of all the problems covering both the Octavia and Superb , this is a very small thing and not worth getting all worked up about not for £380 , if it had been £2k I would be upset , mind you if it had been £450 I wouldve got an overhauled pump fitted with a lifetime warranty by an independant

I left it to the dealer, they said they had contacted Skoda and Skoda had said no because the car is over 5 years old (nearly 6) and had 68,000 miles on it , I have no reason to disbelieve them. I will however be writing to Skoda myself

Of all the problems covering both the Octavia and Superb , this is a very small thing and not worth getting all worked up about not for £380 , if it had been £2k I would be upset , mind you if it had been £450 I wouldve got an overhauled pump fitted with a lifetime warranty by an independant

This price quoted is similar to what the skoda dealer quoted me, and i guess isn't bad, based on the parts being brand new, with some comeback (being main dealer fitted) and includes nearly £200 of parts. But i'm tight, not wanting to pay £50 per hour labour rates, when i don't earn anywhere near that in my own job, so prefer to do most of the fitting work myself.

But as reguards the 'overhauling the pump yourself', remember its not the pump which tends to fault, it is the seperated hydraulic acuator block, which is not serviceable my the average person. I am above average mechanically capable, but this unit is a calibrated 'black box' type thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say thankyou to the guys putting all the information in this thread :thumbup:

I found it essential when I replaced my HCU today (refurbed unit from BBA reman) on my Octavia VRS (56 plate). Took around 3 hours with a helper, which you really do need (pedal man!).

Completely worked too. My ESP light went out, the brakes felt so much better, the car feels better too! VCDS'd the car and cleared the codes and all is good!

The only advice I would add is, I didn't have to unscrew the ABS bracket from the chassis leg. It lifts out of the bracket quite easily, (after a good tug!) it's just held in by rubber bungs. The connecting bracket is attached to the HCU.

All in all the procedure was pretty painless (after following this thread), and I've never had to fit one of these before. So if your reasonable with some spanners, give it a go yourself and save a few hundred quid in labour costs!

:rock: Rog

Edited by VRS-Rog

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm tackling this myself and have just removed the ABS Unit ready for BBA Reman to repair for me.

Just thought I'd add a few points that may help others thinking about it.

To release the electrical connector pull up on the plastic part arrowed below.

a023227e.jpg

It sits on 3 rubber bungs which can be prised out if you prefer to leave the mounting bracket in place

16808ca8.jpg

How mine looked ready for removal

1f920014.jpg

How mine looks with the unit removed

65bf8e7f.jpg

• Like 1

Got my unit back from BBA reman (exceptional service) fitted it that night and then followed the bleed order in the first post and after a short drive down the road and switching the ignition off and then back on after a short while all the lights went off and the traction is working again.

Big thanks the the original poster and to BBA re-man, the fix cost me a total of 3-4 hours of my own labour and £146.40. Really happy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I must have looked a right tube this morning head in the engine while waiting on the bus.

Mine is stamped 1K0614517AF so it looks like I have a winner.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

can anyone confirm if the replacement kit will be free from the manufacturers defect or is it likely to fail again ?

As far as I'm aware the replacement could be subject to the same fault in the future because of the location of the sensor inside the big hunk of metal, or so says the company offering the alternative fix.

TBH now you can pick up the kit for less than £200 it's not much worse than any other repair. Just pain that Audi and VW are offering goodwill to pretty much everyone while Skoda flips the bird.

I hope (with no evidence) that they will have improved the design a bit so it will last the rest of the car's life or at least until I move it on.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

hello guy!

i have just find out today that my Q7 have the fatal ABS problem.

the ESP light came on last week and never went away brought 

it to the garage today and was inform that ABS unit need changing :sweat:

the cost blow me away £2100 :sweat:

can this repair Vag be of any help? have anyone had this problem on Q7?

please help!!!!!!!

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

I have this dreaded problem too - and this will be the second sensor failure in about 18 months.

Can the ECU be programmed to ignore the error and if so, is it advisable to do that??

Thanks

Adrian

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did this repair to a vw caddy today but the pressure in block 5 is 7-8 bar when there is no pressure on the brake pedal. The pressure goes up when i press brake pedal. Tried to do a basic setting in block 66 but the pressure will not go longer down.

Should i bleed the system again? Bleeded the system with pressure first, then pedal + open/closed bleednipple.

• 2 months later...