Confused about new insurance/SORN laws...

"In early 2011, the vehicle insurance law will change.

If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.

The only exceptions are:

if you have made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) for the vehicle

vehicles that have been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 - unless they are brought back into use"

My 4x4 hack is parked on my drive. And i run the VRS and Z4 through the year. When the snow comes i garage the Z4 and transfer my road tax and insurance to the 4x4 hack...

Am i breaching the new rules doing this? Neither the Z4 or cheap 4x4 are parked on a residential "road" :dull:

OP. Where did you qet the quote from ? It seems to be worded wrong. - (EDIT I see its the way you've copy and pasted it over)

As I understand it. If your car is SORN'd and not on a public highway your ok.

The law is for cars that are not SORN'd but have no insurance. Basically to catch the people who drive around in taxed vehicles who have no insurance.

http://www.direct.go...rance/DG_186696

As long as you SORN the car that is off the road (without insurance and tax) that's fine.

It's if you don't SORN it you have a problem, as it'll show as liable for insurance, but uninsured. Just like the road tax does now.

Car on road = tax and insurance

Car off road = SORN

You can insure a car whilst it is on SORN if you wish, but you need to specify it as OFF ROAD insurance, normally just for fire and theft. This is what the classic people often do over the winter months.

When did or does this come into effect. I got my vrs before xmas but had to tax my old car after mot to move it to my sisters. Its parked off road she dont drive it cos she cant drive yet.

The tighter rules came into affect fairly recently, but SORN has been for several years.

"In early 2011, the vehicle insurance law will change.

If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.

The only exceptions are:

if you have made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) for the vehicle

vehicles that have been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 - unless they are brought back into use"

My 4x4 hack is parked on my drive. And i run the VRS and Z4 through the year. When the snow comes i garage the Z4 and transfer my road tax and insurance to the 4x4 hack...

Am i breaching the new rules doing this? Neither the Z4 or cheap 4x4 are parked on a residential "road" :dull:

If the 4x4 is SORN whilst off the road, it can be left without insurance. If it is taxed, it will now need insurance on or off the road. Which was a bit of a pain for me to be honest. The 4x4 I keep in my garage gets used once every couple of months. I used to leave it taxed and get day / weekend insurance when I was going to be driving it. I.e. 5 mins on the web and I could print the certificate and jump in.

Fortunately I got a good deal on an annual policy with a mirrored NCB from the 4x4 dept. at Adrian Flux. The quotes from the usual places on the web were so much higher I would've probably sold the thing!

Hope that helps...