VAG Com with Windows 7

SP-1

Hi All,

I've just treated myself to a new laptop, with Windows 7 home premium.

I've also bought a VAG Com cable from Fleabay.

After installing VAG Com on my new laptop, I can't get it to open.

VCDS Lite starts up, but will not see the USB cable.

Looking round the interweb, there seems to be several conflicting reports about whether it will work or it will clash.

Some people have suggested running a Window XP emulator, but I can't get that to work either!!

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

I've had no issues with VCDS and Windows7. Then again, I'm using a HEX+CAN cable and the full version of VCDS.

I'm sure someone from Ross-Tech will be able to advise further. But I'd just recommend following the steps listed on their website for installing the software.

Chances are the Fleabay cable didn't come with the correct driver for Windows 7 or it hasn't installed correctly.

Did you install the driver that came with the cable on the CD, before plugging it in?

First you need to install the driver package off the CD and then plug in the USB cable and have windows go through its hardware discovery and driver install before you plug it into the car and lauch VCDS.

You even have to do this with the full version of VCDS which works fine with both 64 and 32 bit versions of Windows 7.

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice. The cable's a fleabay special.. All of about £5 worth.. Maybe that's the problem

I tried running VAG com as an administrator, but it still wouldn't. VCDS lite starts ok, but can't see the cable.

I then fired up my old desktop, with windows XP, and vag com ran ok, but still couldn't see the cable. Is there a driver somewhere on 'tinternet I can download?? I am going to search once I've posted this, but any directions would be appreciated!!.

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice. The cable's a fleabay special.. All of about £5 worth.. Maybe that's the problem

I tried running VAG com as an administrator, but it still wouldn't. VCDS lite starts ok, but can't see the cable.

I then fired up my old desktop, with windows XP, and vag com ran ok, but still couldn't see the cable. Is there a driver somewhere on 'tinternet I can download?? I am going to search once I've posted this, but any directions would be appreciated!!.

I think what you paid for the cable answers the question

Is there a driver somewhere on 'tinternet I can download?? I am going to search once I've posted this, but any directions would be appreciated!!.

Your wire supplier has to supply the driver for VCDS-Lite. No other party can do that. Only they know the hardware they supplied. Trying other people's drivers will likely lead to more frustration. But ..... if you enjoy the challenge, then to each his own.

The cheap ebay cables dont work with Windows 7 or the latest version of VAG-COM which has been called VCDS for quiet a while now. as there are no drivers, get the full proper version and you'll have the latest version of the software and drivers that will work.

Been a long time since I used this type of cable but I'll give some pointers if I remember what to do.

Firstly make sure you have the USB to serial driver installed, next look in device manager and check what port the cable is assigned to, next go to vagcom and make sure the com ports match between vagcom and device manager.

Basically you have a USB cable but need to set it up as a serial cable.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I tried that driver higgy, and it didn't change.

When I checked the settings, it showed the serial device was stored in Com 8. On the VCDS test/setup page all I have is Com 1-4 plus USB.

Although cheap, the cable quality looks ok??

I may try a different cable if anyone can suggest one??????

I may try a different cable if anyone can suggest one??????

How about one where the supplier actually gives after purchase support ....... you may find those suppliers limited though, although one does spring to mind, I doubt whether you will be prepared to pay for this support?

When I checked the settings, it showed the serial device was stored in Com 8. On the VCDS test/setup page all I have is Com 1-4 plus USB.

There is your problem. You need to go to device manager and change the port to any between 1 to 4 but that port must be free, if there isn't a free one between 1 and 4 make one by moving something around. Next go into vagcom and match the port with the one in device manager.

I hate it when people blame the cable when intact it has just not been setup correctly.

I just re-read your first post. You say this is on a laptop.

Go into Control Panel - Hardware and disable your 'Card Slot/Memeory Card Reader'(you can get it back again if you enable don't worry).

On Win7, the traditional XP style menu is here: Control Panel\System and Security\System\Device Manager

Disabling this should reduce the amount of Com Ports used, and you should also be able to reassign the Com Port number if required.

Martziniuk/Higgy,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Can't find how to disable card reader, it's not on the list, although I do have one.

I did however, manage to change the USB Sreial port to com 1. Now VCDS sees the port, but thinks no interface is connected, even when it is. So I'm thinking it may be the cable. One point of interest, when I connect it to the car, the LED lights up.

Any other ideas??

Gizmo, can you elaborate on your post a bit please??

Thanks in advance all..

Did you use the updated driver I linked to a few posts back?

I don't have an LED (I guess you mean on the cable) so maybe our cables are different.

I don't have access to Win7 here so can't help. Although place a memory card into the slot, you may find it appears in the Device Manager thing. On Win7 my cable (serial-USB) only appears when it is plugged in.

I think Gizmo is saying don't be a tight ass, go buy the proper cable. :rofl:

Not sure why RossTech allows you to use a limited function VAG-COM on 'ebay special cables' if they did not want you to buy cheap cables. From memory, they even reference cheap cables on some of the FAQ on their website?!

Not sure why RossTech allows you to use a limited function VAG-COM on 'ebay special cables' if they did not want you to buy cheap cables.

We produced the VCDS-Lite product because so many asked for a "cheap" means to "VAG" their car. But, then when we offer a limited product with no support (so we can offer that "cheap" product), we get to listen to all the complaining that we don't give support for the "cheap" product. Catch 22 right?

Our stand is that when you choose to go the route of buying an aftermarket wire to avoid paying Ross-Tech for our efforts to produce the product so many love, then you choose to go the route of toughing it through the problems of getting your setup to work. What irks us is that the people who supply the ebay wires do not offer you, their customer, any support for the wire you buy from them. When was the last time one of those vendors posted here to support users in what they are trying to do on their rides? Should they not support their product since you pay them?

Why should Ross-Tech be expected to support the wire installation when Ross-Tech receives nothing from the transaction to get an aftermarket wire running?

Yes, of course we are not stupid. Once users use the free version, many will want full access and will opt to buy the $99 license for that full access. Sure we know we may get follow on business. But, that business is dependent on the user getting his wire to work first. And that we cannot help with because we do not know what the aftermarket suppliers put in their wires.

Edited by bearthebruce

Well said. Couldn't agree more to be honest emoticon-0148-yes.gif

If there's an issue, as in this case, it should be for the supplying company/retailer to resolve with the customer.

Gizmo, can you elaborate on your post a bit please??

I think Gizmo is saying don't be a tight ass, go buy the proper cable. :rofl:

I wouldn't of put it quite like that, but if you require support then get it from the originator (Ross-Tech)

What irks us is that the people who supply the ebay wires do not offer you, their customer, any support for the wire you buy from them. When was the last time one of those vendors posted here to support users in what they are trying to do on their rides? Should they not support their product since you pay them?

Absolutely :thumbup:

Well said. Couldn't agree more to be honest :thumbup:

If there's an issue, as in this case, it should be for the supplying company/retailer to resolve with the customer.

+1

Hi Higgy, thanks for the link, I did download and install it yes... But didn't change it!

bearthebruce.. I'm not trying to cause offence or start an argument at all in this thread.. To be honest I'd never have considered VAG COM had I not stumbled accross this site.

I am curious about VAG Com, which is why I bought the cable. Plus, if I can diagnose/fix a problem on my car myself, that makes me happy!! I don't believe in something for nothing from software companies.. unless of course it's Microsoft lol.

I'll keep plugging away to see if I can get it going. If so, you never know beartherbruce.. you may have another loyal customer!