VAG Com with Windows 7

SP-1

bearthebruce.. I'm not trying to cause offence or start an argument at all in this thread.. To be honest I'd never have considered VAG COM had I not stumbled accross this site.

No offense taken. My comment was based on Higgy's comment that he didn't understand why Ross-Tech allows the use of the 'ebay specials' when we don't support what those 'specials' fail to do. So, I was trying to explain why we don't support them.

I am curious about VAG Com, which is why I bought the cable. Plus, if I can diagnose/fix a problem on my car myself, that makes me happy!! I don't believe in something for nothing from software companies.. unless of course it's Microsoft lol.

I'll keep plugging away to see if I can get it going. If so, you never know beartherbruce.. you may have another loyal customer!

Indeed, you are the kind of person who does use our tool to fix their car and keep it running. Oh that we could do more to help with the product but as I said, we have no way of knowing what these guys build into their wires.

Another suggestion: one of our distribs in the UK sells an inexpensive wire that is fully compatible to VCDS-Lite and he supports it. I'm talking about Gendan. Their price is a little higher than what you find on eBay but, they do have phone number you can call if you have troubles. What's that worth this many days and hours into this endeavor?

Edited by bearthebruce

Cheers again guys...

I'm not taking the mick here.. but Gendan want £268, and most on Fleabay, are under £10.... Is there a sort of middle of the road way to safely sample VCDS???

Cheers again guys...

I'm not taking the mick here.. but Gendan want £268, and most on Fleabay, are under £10.... Is there a sort of middle of the road way to safely sample VCDS???

No- the VCDS-Lite product is not £268. It is £20.38. See this link: http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html

The expensive product is the real deal - the full VCDS running on a HEX style interface from Ross-Tech.

Martziniuk/Higgy,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I did however, manage to change the USB Sreial port to com 1.

So does the port in device manager and the port in vag-com now match?

If so you need to plug into the car turn the ignition on and test. Iirc it doesn't recognise it if it's not in the car, but i maybe wrong it was a long time ago when I had one of these cables.

So does the port in device manager and the port in vag-com now match?

If so you need to plug into the car turn the ignition on and test. Iirc it doesn't recognise it if it's not in the car, but i maybe wrong it was a long time ago when I had one of these cables.

Yeah they do match. The installation instructions say the cable doesn't need to be connected to the car, but I tried it all the same. Still says interface not connected. I guess I'll wait for the new cable and see if that works.

Well I bought a gendan cable and I still have the same issue.

I uninstalled everything and started again. Got the USB set to COM1. Plugged the cable in and ran the "Test" and it says "Port OK, Interface not found"

Going to phone Gendan in the morning, to ask for guidance... so I guess it's some sort of operator error... lol

Any (more) ideas!!!!

Thanks in advance

Richard

Hi Chris,

The FDTI driver is dated 18th March 2011, so I think that's fairly up to date.

I presume the OBD socket has 12v, as I've plugged in a handheld code reader and it works ok. It does say the cable should be recognised without it being plugged into the car. Didn't get the chance to phone today, will try tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorted!!!!

I thought I'd tried every combination of port, and programme. Spoke too a nice man at Gendan, who advised me to use COM2 which I thought I'd already tried, and also told me that VCDS lite beta won't work.. To be honest that was my last try before buying a different cable.

He said COM2 is a better one to use, as some computers don't like using COM1, even though mine looked like it was free.

Anyhow's it all works fine now, and guess what, so does the £5 ebay special... but hey ho....

Yes, but buying from Gendan was the solution to your problem - they helped you. Your eBay special vendor did not......Just saying.....

Fair point.. I've not had a chance to get my teeth into it. Is there an Adobe or similar manual anywhere I can download. I've found the web page with some instructions on it, but am hesitant to go and fiddle, in case I screw something up!!!

Is there an Adobe or similar manual anywhere I can download. I've found the web page with some instructions on it, but am hesitant to go and fiddle, in case I screw something up!!!

The VCDS-Lite manual is on the VCDS-Lite Download page: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/manual/main_screen.html

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish so I cannot really help you. You are using the VCDS-Lite in shareware mode so very little damage can be done since most of the adaptations, basic settings and output tests are restricted. If you make coding changes, remember to write down the existing coding first. Then make changes. That way, you always have a way back. If you were using the full VCDS, I would tell you to run an Auto-Scan and save it before doing anything else. The Auto-Scan gives all the coding of all modules in the vehicle. VCDS-Lite does not support Auto-Scan (at least as far as I remember it does not!).

Hi Mate,

To be honest I'm not sure what I want from it. Any vehicle I own I like to understand how it works. Had a bit of a play with it, and am thinking of buying the full product. Found a couple of codes which I cleared and haven't returned.. So happy days!!