Innotec Turbo Clean

I used this the other day on my TDi110 and I'm left in no doubt whatsoever that it works. Although specifically designed and intended to cure the sticky vane problem on VNT turbos I decided to give it a go on a routine service. I followed the instructions in the kit and the result is that the turbo power now is greater and much more evenly distributed. I'd recommend it to anyone who suspects they have the dreaded sticky vane problem, or even a slight overboost on their turbo.....

http://www.innotecworld.com/c-1064-turbo-clean-set.aspx

I had this recommended by Simon Coe of CCC Technology. He showed me before and after VAGcom logs from an engine with a sticky vaned turbo, before it would overboost and make no attempt to return to the correct level, but after treatment it worked as it should.

May I ask how much this stuff costs?

You need to register on the website to see prices.

As a bit of a non-believer, I think you should demo this to me.... on my car :giggle:

What do you do? I guess it goes on the air side rather than the exhaust gasses side?

I paid £39 direct from Innotec. The kit comes with three products and full instructions.

Remove the exhaust frontpipe from the turbo and using the gasket as a template mark out the holes in the card supplied in the kit. Refit the frontpipe gasket to hold the card in place over the turbo outlet. You will need to make a small hole in the card, and push the flexible tube through it into the exhaust turbine. Spray in half the contents of Turbo Clean 1 and operate the actuator link to work it around. After 10 minutes spray in the rest of the Turbo Clean 1. This will turn to a gel and effectively dissolve soot and carbon from inside the variable ring. Every so often work the actuator link again. After one hour remove the frontpipe gasket and card from the turbo outlet and allow the Turbo Clean 1 to drop into a drip tray. Spray in Turbo Clean 2 using the same flexible pipe to rinse out the remaining Turbo Clean 1. Re-assemble the exhaust frontpipe.

Pour the contents of Turbo Clean 3 into the fuel filter is possible. This is preferrable, but if you can't then tip it into the fuel tank. Start the engine and allow it to run. The Turbo Clean 3 is a very powerful cleaner that will remove carbon deposits from the injectors, and finish the turbo cleaning process. It's easy to do and well worth it if you have a turbo with the sticky vane problem.

Application is with exhaust downpipe off. You apply cleaner, leave it for a while, exersise VNT mechanism, apply alkali neutraliser and it comes with a fuel additive.

It's a bit like using the Mr Muscle technique, with something to make it a bit safer for the cat, followed by a high dose of Millers. Heck of a markup really but a lot cheaper than turbo off and manual clean.

R-Tech in Hinkley used to do the Innotec Method for about £90 all in. I believe that they now advise customers to remove and properly clean the turbo as Innotec turned out to usually only offer a temporary improvement (plus once they started doing it they saw what Innotec left behind). I think they now do turbo removal and cleaning for a little over £200.

Edited by Uriel

I see they stole the pictures from here http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/body_vnt15-turbo.html

No way would Innotec would clean a completely stuck turbo as shown and no way would it lead to a fully cleaned turbo as shown in the other picture.

It can free up a turbo if the deposits have not completely hardened and you manage to spray the stuff on every bit of the crud. I have seen a good number of turbos where the owner has used this stuff and it has stuck again.

Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner and Millers, plus a bit of cardboard and a tube could be had for £15 though...

I used my mothers kitchen table and sink when she was out one Sunday morning :giggle:

Control ring:

P1000656.JPG

Vanes:

P1000661.JPG

Out of interest, did you reuse or replace the bolts in the turbo?

I replaced all the gaskets (inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe, oil return), but all the nuts / bolts / studs were reused.

...and is your Mother speaking to you again yet? :rofl:

Yes.... surprisingly :rofl: She much like her oldest son :giggle:

I had a Mondeo TDCi in today. The customer had bought his own Innotec Turbo Clean kit and asked us to give it a go to see if it would free his turbo which had become stuck. The engine management lamp was on and the overboost code was stored. At first I thought that the actuator motor was seized because it would not move, but after I had disconnected the link I quickly discovered that the fault was inside the turbo unit and it was seized solid. On a Mondeo the exhaust outlet is below the turbine and so spraying in the cleaner this way would not have worked, and so I decided to separate the two halves of the turbo unit and gain access to the variable geometry. When I pulled it apart I found the vane ring was full of soot and corrosion. I sprayed the turbo cleaner all around the best I could and in no time at all it had loosened. The cleaner was dropping off the vane ring together with all the crap right in front of my eyes. I worked the vane ring back and forth and it became more free than I could've ever imagined. After a while I sprayed the second can all around to rinse away the remains of the first. The result was a spotless vane ring that moved very easily and effortless. I didn't do any scraping or use anything other than the turbo clean product. I took the car up the road when I had re-assembled it and it drove like it had a new turbo. I am highly impressed with the results. I took a couple of photos but I can't figure out how to get them onto this site. If anyone can tell me how to do it I'll post them up.

That does look nice and clean.

Well I'm the first one to be critical of these kind of products mbames but I tried it on my TDi110 and the turbo power is more even and smoother, and on this Mondeo the inside of the turbo was transformed from a mess to looking like brand new. I would've never believed it but I am impressed with this stuff.