columbus sat nav

Ive just had mt 2009 superb serviced and asked about updating the columbus sat nav to take the full post codes i was told i needed the V7 updated DVD Pt No 3T0051859 at a cost of £145:00 + vat this seems expensive to me as its only a disc, has anybody else been told this and is there an alternative way of obtaining this part at a sensible price,(not a generic one though), i would prefer the correct disc

Edited by tupperware12300

You should have asked to borrow there copy and done it yourself without leaving the dealers, you should also have received a free disc when you bought the car, but depending where you live there are members on here that will lend you there's, it can take up to an hour to update

Ask in the superb and Octavia 2 section

Ive just had mt 2009 superb serviced and asked about updating the columbus sat nav to take the full post codes i was told i needed the V7 updated DVD Pt No 3T0051859 at a cost of £145:00 + vat this seems expensive to me as its only a disc, has anybody else been told this and is there an alternative way of obtaining this part at a sensible price,(not a generic one though), i would prefer the correct disc

Is this the discounted price because you are trading in your old, original disk that you got with your car?

It does sound about right - although for some reason I'd got a price of £99 in my head as a trade-in price.

The 7-digit searching added a lot to the price, it has to be licensed from Maptec (I believe) and that costs a lot.

The 7-digit postcode search is NOT just map dependant, it is also dependant on the firmware of your Columbus.

My Octy vRS with Columbus purchased two months ago still had a firmware on that did not support 7-digit searching, so a good chance yours will be old too.

Skoda will not do the firmware upgrade fro you - you'll have to do that yourself.

You should have asked to borrow there copy and done it yourself without leaving the dealers, you should also have received a free disc when you bought the car, but depending where you live there are members on here that will lend you there's, it can take up to an hour to update

Ask in the superb and Octavia 2 section

Are we alloed to advocate illegal activites on these forums?

It's one license per disk - once installed that is where the license is.

"Lending" disks around is really the same as illegally downloading them.

You can download your own copy if you know where to look, the licence is not car specific

Of course it is.

Where do you get the idea that this map upgrade should be free or you can "lend" the disk around?

The maps can either be run from the disk or installed to the Hard Drive.

If you run them from the disk then obviously you need the disk in all the time.

If you install them to the HD then that is your one installation of the maps done.

You cannot legally sell the disk (without removing the maps from your own unit), lend the disk to somebody else to install (again without removing them from your own machine).

The maps cost money because they cost money to produce and the 7-digit postcode searching is really expensive to license.

I take it your idea of software licensing is really non-existant and as far as you're concerned it's free for all when it comes to software that costs money?

Stoofa,Perhaps would you like to educate us all as how the dealer can with just one disc, update any vehicle fitted with the columbus.

How many have obtained there own copy's some with speed camera locations all be it that don't give a warning yet, and they are all working, all available from some of the map and firmware programs freely available on the net, from all the big named players of sat navs

I'll jump in here as someone who works for a software company. These things are available simply because people steal them and make them available. Take a look at the case the disk came in and you will see that it clearly lays out your rights to use the product, those rights do not include giving it away to other people.

As to how the dealer loads multiple copies it may well be that they pay for a bulk licensing deal, in the same way our larger customers only get one DVD but are licensed to load it multiple times.

I'll jump in here as someone who works for a software company. These things are available simply because people steal them and make them available. Take a look at the case the disk came in and you will see that it clearly lays out your rights to use the product, those rights do not include giving it away to other people.

As to how the dealer loads multiple copies it may well be that they pay for a bulk licensing deal, in the same way our larger customers only get one DVD but are licensed to load it multiple times.

Right the quo brings out a new album B) and your mate has it, you ask for a loan so you can listen to it then hand it back

Its the same with the map updates you borrow it, download it onto the HD then hand it back,

When you get any new Skoda fitted with the Columbus it should have come with a disc in the first place, just in-case something goes wrong with it so you can re-download the maps

The same thing applies when you copy CDs to your comp and download them to SD cards so you can save on the HD.

Just suppose you needed a hammer and your mate had one, you ask for a loan of it.

All I am saying is why pay over £120 for something that can be lent to you to do the job.

If you want to nit pick your mate could even do the job for you, by putting the disc in your Columbus to try it out ;) then you have done nothing wrong

The same thing applies when you copy CDs to your comp and download them to SD cards so you can save on the HD.

Technically, the CD Was yours in the 1st place, and you are simply "backing up" this copy, and not re-distributing it...

Al.

Personally I think £145.00 + VAT is a reasonable price for the upgrade disc, Previous cars have been £450.00 to £800.00 plus VAT, (didnt buy those!)

If you look at it another way you dont go running back to the dealer with your MY10 car when the MY12 comes out with new features demanding a "free upgrade" to your cars' features to bring it up to date. Software is the same, there is a substansial cost to developing software upgrades which has to be paid for.

As for licencing the dealers probably have a corporate or similar licence which legally allows multiple installs.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I think £145.00 + VAT is a reasonable price for the upgrade disc, Previous cars have been £450.00 to £800.00 plus VAT, (didnt buy those!)

If you look at it another way you dont go running back to the dealer with your MY10 car when the MY12 comes out with new features demanding a "free upgrade" to your cars' features to bring it up to date. Software is the same, there is a substansial cost to developing software upgrades which has to be paid for.

As for licencing the dealers probably have a corporate or similar licence which legally allows multiple installs.

The key thing here is surely UPDATE! 95+% of the maps etc will be unchanged year to year, looked at like that £145 for a (probably) less than 5% change in the data makes £145 seem VERY expensive. I was really only prompted to this topic as I have just returned from a business trip to Ireland and according to the Columbus system in my 2010 Superb Estate I was driving across fields for a large part of the trip from Dublin to Galway!

according to the Columbus system in my 2010 Superb Estate I was driving across fields for a large part of the trip from Dublin to Galway!

Make sure you wash the mud off before it sets hard :giggle:

Although it is wrong to lend discs out for multiple installs, whoever makes the maps obviously haven't put any copy protection to prevent multiple installs. So by not doing that who is going to take notice of the EULA with the disc.

To those that want to stick with one disc + one install > Go to the dealer and buy a new disc at £sss

The key thing here is surely UPDATE! 95+% of the maps etc will be unchanged year to year, looked at like that £145 for a (probably) less than 5% change in the data makes £145 seem VERY expensive. I was really only prompted to this topic as I have just returned from a business trip to Ireland and according to the Columbus system in my 2010 Superb Estate I was driving across fields for a large part of the trip from Dublin to Galway!

I live in Ireland and, drive a 2011 Superb with what I believe is v7 installed.

I would not worry about crossing fields.

Every time I approach or travel in a nearby tunnel opened early 2010 I actually cross water !!!

Although it is wrong to lend discs out for multiple installs, whoever makes the maps obviously haven't put any copy protection to prevent multiple installs. So by not doing that who is going to take notice of the EULA with the disc.

To those that want to stick with one disc + one install > Go to the dealer and buy a new disc at £sss

Unfortunately there are always those that will take a free option over a "paid for" one.

Personally I've grown out of piracy and illegally copying, distributing and downloading software to which I do not have a legal license for.

So, once V8 maps are available I will pay for the upgrade.

Just the way I am - the world doesn't owe me a living, somebody has had to release those V7 maps and some company has paid a lot to license full postcode searching (which isn't cheap) so they will deserve my cash come upgrade time.

Unfortunately there are always those that will take a free option over a "paid for" one.

Personally I've grown out of piracy and illegally copying, distributing and downloading software to which I do not have a legal license for.

So, once V8 maps are available I will pay for the upgrade.

Just the way I am - the world doesn't owe me a living, somebody has had to release those V7 maps and some company has paid a lot to license full postcode searching (which isn't cheap) so they will deserve my cash come upgrade time.

This^^, absolutely this^^.

We have multiple install software at work and we are very disciplined in keeping tracks installing and uninstalling.

This issue of piracy really grips me, especially that attitude shown in china where there is no intellectual property law and it is seen as acceptable just to buy one and then reverse engineer it. Or put people into companies as long term sleepers for purposes of industrial espionage.

Not acceptable, never has been, never will be.

And all that is despite my very jaundiced view of FAST.

This^^, absolutely this^^.

We have multiple install software at work and we are very disciplined in keeping tracks installing and uninstalling.

This issue of piracy really grips me, especially that attitude shown in china where there is no intellectual property law and it is seen as acceptable just to buy one and then reverse engineer it. Or put people into companies as long term sleepers for purposes of industrial espionage.

Not acceptable, never has been, never will be.

And all that is despite my very jaundiced view of FAST.

At the same token, I got a new car in January 20112 with a map that was at least two years out of date. New Motorways which had been open well before my car was manufactured did not appear. The least I expect, given the cost of my car (CR170 4x4 Combi Elegance), was a map that was current the day I received the car. Subsequent upgrades, then OK, but one should not have to put up with an out of date product.

At the same token, I got a new car in January 20112 with a map that was at least two years out of date. New Motorways which had been open well before my car was manufactured did not appear. The least I expect, given the cost of my car (CR170 4x4 Combi Elegance), was a map that was current the day I received the car. Subsequent upgrades, then OK, but one should not have to put up with an out of date product.

Fair enough, but was the problem that you had an old revision of the mapping data and there was a newer disk available, or was it that you had the latest revision disk but that the base data was two years old?

Two different things.

When I spot out of date data then report it to NAVTEQ who are my "suppliers."

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en

Make sure you wash the mud off before it sets hard :giggle:

It rained so much there was no chance any mud was going to set!

Contacted my local dealer and they quoted me £145 (+ VAT) for the update disc, but said it would give me 7 digit post code function. When asked (parts dept) whether this would need firmware update they said they would check and get back to me. Sure enough within 30 minutes they rang back - as I had bought the car (new) from them and had it serviced with them they could update the firmware and install the new maps for free, but I would not get to keep the disc, when would I like to bring the car in? They confirmed that updating the firmware would wipe the music and favourite destinations etc but that is a relatively small price to pay to get a free map update and improved functionality. Does anyone know if you can back up the music and favourite destinations etc and then simply do a mass restore after the firmware update?

i installed new firmware and maps on my Columbus 2010 model. but did not lose any of my music or old destinations nothing changed and now have 7 digit post codes.bill

• 4 months later...

That disc looks like it is the VW disc and would therefore have (I guess) VW garages and not Skoda garages. Also, would a firmware upgrade be required in order to get the most out of the disc? My local garage have given me a disc (v7) so that I could update the system myself, but have asked that I post it back. Having updated it, it is evident that I need a firmware upgrade to get some of the features. They have offered to do the firmware upgrade, which seems unlike some other dealers based upon some comments made on this forum site.

The VW, Seat and Skoda disks are all exactly the same. The VW disk does have Skoda garages on it just as it also Seat ones, what gets loaded depends on the model, so in a Skoda even with the VW or Seat disk you will find that Skoda garages are loaded.