My Silver Fabia vRS

Gobsheene

Random question but can ya remember how much u paid to have he door handles and bump strips colour coded? Mines silver aswell and look shocking with the black handles and bumps strips

I prefer the black trim, splits it up nicely I feel. You could check a local scrap yard for handles and remove the bump strips hoping not to find Any bubbling underneath.

Good job btw, looks well :)

Random question but can ya remember how much u paid to have he door handles and bump strips colour coded? Mines silver aswell and look shocking with the black handles and bumps strips

Absolutely nothing chum they came on the car!

Looks like they might have been done as a DIY effort by the last owner as you can see sanding marks in the paint, but you do have to look VERY closely.

I'd say £100ish should cover it from a painter, and a bit of time and effort could have it done for about £25 of materials and a weekends work start to finish.

• 1 month later...

OK so after failing MOT on Leaky shocks, ****o'ed bushings and bollixed ball joints... i took the opportunity to put in some AP Shocks and springs.

Now the car has just been delivered to the house and i've not had a chance to drive it yet.

Here's the 1st picture of the car with them in, so far I really like the drop, just enough; but it'll probably settle a smell more!

c8e13b0f-859a-4a06-a0cc-f7d05984c5c7.jpg

I dont think anyone here has used them yet, tending to go for the AP coilovers instead. If anyone has feel free to shout as I couldn't find a thread!

I got them at a special rate through a friend in the trade, but they're only £233 from one of the sponsors on here...

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ap-25mm-lowering-springs-shocks-suspension-kitbr-fabia-6y-rs-19tdi-1000-p-5395.html

I got a little cheaper but not much!

Hopefully they'll be good

• Like 1

OK so after failing MOT on Leaky shocks, ****o'ed bushings and bollixed ball joints... i took the opportunity to put in some AP Shocks and springs.

Now the car has just been delivered to the house and i've not had a chance to drive it yet.

Here's the 1st picture of the car with them in, so far I really like the drop, just enough; but it'll probably settle a smell more!

c8e13b0f-859a-4a06-a0cc-f7d05984c5c7.jpg

I dont think anyone here has used them yet, tending to go for the AP coilovers instead. If anyone has feel free to shout as I couldn't find a thread!

looks perfect in my eyes Gobsheene, the Mrs has these on her Leon and they (touch wood) have been grand so far, just enough drop, handle well and comfortable.

Well took it a very brief run around my block before putting it into the drive way before going away for a few days and it feels a little tighter.

There are a few speed bumps and it seems to be comfortable but once I get an MOT booked for it i'll hopefully have a much better idea.

OK, the car was up for MOT on Monday:

IMG-20130513-WA0004.jpg

And it passed :D

IMG-20130513-WA0005.jpg

Verdict on the springs and shocks is very good [there's new bushings in the front of wishbone and ball joints too, i already had Cupra solid console bushes], the car feels a lot more planted and solid to drive which was expected.

They're a very comfortable ride on all roads so far, not crashy at all much like the standard set-up, but better! Handling is much improved, even over the JOM set-up I had in, I have a lot more confidence in the car and it corners hard enough for my wife to give off at me to for taking a round about much too fast, and I hadn't even realised! Ooops!

I highly recommend the AP springs and shocks for anyone looking for a subtle drop with great comfort and increased performance :) at a bloody good price!

• Like 1

I've wrapped the B pillars.

where are your rear head rests?

Where's your rear head rests?

Actually more of a **** of a job that i thought it would be surprisingly.

Before

0955D217-CA2E-4D12-8B7D-E0ADA901FD1F-57948-00003F92A2BABEB0.jpg

After

ACEDA13C-9F0E-47B6-A411-79F1828E470E-57948-00003F929DE335E5.jpg

Happy enough with it.

Just have to sort the centre caps now and its done.

Edited by mikejay

Hey Gobsheene,

Off the topic here, but pretty sure you pulled up behind me on the M2 this morning (then ya took off lol) , seen the yellow calipers and new I had seen them on here somewhere lol

• Like 1

Hey Gobsheene,

Off the topic here, but pretty sure you pulled up behind me on the M2 this morning (then ya took off lol) , seen the yellow calipers and new I had seen them on here somewhere lol

I don't possibly know what you're talking about ;) I see you take off too around the overly brakey taximan,

All I was thinking was I want to take some autosol to your exhaust pipe! :p

You're not the same Steve i used to play ice hockey with by any chance?

Your SE looks great :)

Edited by Gobsheene

Lol that taximan was too busy chatting, was doing my head in with the unnecessary braking!

Your 100% correct about the exhaust, I don't know what to use to clean it up properly but i will check out that autosol you mentioned.

No, not the same guy.

The car is up for MOT tonight in Larne so i gave it a good clean @ the weekend. Not bad for 107,000 miles on it. My dad (who sadly passed away there only 3 months ago to pancreatic cancer) his fabia vrs (reg S77 VRS - you might have seen him about Newtownabbey/Ballyclare) has 147,000 miles on it and its still going strong - mum drives it now!

Couple of cosmetic things to get sorted:

- I've got to fit 2 new skoda badges (front grill & back boot) as they have that 'white worm' thing goin on.

- The chrome surround on the grill, well the 4 wee small plastics lugs on the back of it (just underneath where the badge is) has broke off so the chrome grill sits out abit too far. So i have a replacement chrome surround ready to fit but I anxious to fit it cause I don't want them lugs to break off....... any tips?? I seen ur's has the chrome surround wrapped - how did you find refitting it??

Keep up the good work on your's too man!

Your 100% correct about the exhaust, I don't know what to use to clean it up properly but i will check out that autosol you mentioned.

The car is up for MOT tonight in Larne so i gave it a good clean @ the weekend. Not bad for 107,000 miles on it. My dad (who sadly passed away there only 3 months ago to pancreatic cancer) his fabia vrs (reg S77 VRS - you might have seen him about Newtownabbey/Ballyclare) has 147,000 miles on it and its still going strong - mum drives it now!

Couple of cosmetic things to get sorted:

- I've got to fit 2 new skoda badges (front grill & back boot) as they have that 'white worm' thing goin on.

- The chrome surround on the grill, well the 4 wee small plastics lugs on the back of it (just underneath where the badge is) has broke off so the chrome grill sits out abit too far. So i have a replacement chrome surround ready to fit but I anxious to fit it cause I don't want them lugs to break off....... any tips?? I seen ur's has the chrome surround wrapped - how did you find refitting it??

Keep up the good work on your's too man!

Get a tube of autosol and some fine wire wool if you've never cleaned it before, maybe even some 1500 grit wet and dry sandpaper.

Use some old scrim cloth polishing rags to buff it all after, i find you can wrap it around the tip and sort of saw at it to buff it up :)

Good luck for tonight mine passed in Lisburn last week there just turned 112K at the test centre :)

Is that a black one? I seen a nice little one with a middle aged woman driving it last week thought I never noticed the plate. :)

Sorry to hear about your Dad. :(

For the Grill, just go easy with it, i broke one little clip, refitting it.

For your badges why not order up the fresher looking Citigo ones? They'd look great against the blue!

If you want any more advice give me a shout I'm about N'abbey all the time :)

Yeah I need to get myself that Autosol and some elbow grease lol. I used to use a product that had grit particles in it which worked ok but it took forever to get it clean and even then I wasn't happy with it - probably too impatient!

Yeah I'm thinking it should pass ok, had it serviced by an independent garage in ballyeaston/Ballynure who I've used for years (back when I had my polo SDI yikes! haha)

I work down in Lisburn here, 5 mins from Sprucefield roundabout which is handy to the motorway.

No its a 2004 silver exdemo (still remember the day dad bought it from Mervyn Stewart garage – traded in his fabia SDI for it after many months of me pestering him change lol)

I’m thinking of heating up the wee clips with a hairdryer to make them less brittle, would that help ya think? I’ve already got the badges but I know what you mean the contrast would be good. Though I’m keeping everything as original as possible.

Even got a full set of vrs mats for when mine or dads get too worn.... sad I know! Got these years and years ago when I was vrs crazy on the head buying spare badges, t-shirts, articles!! Curse you ebay and my addiction!

Yeah I’ll def give you a shout if I need any help, you’re not far away. I worked in Abbeycentre for 9 half years up until feb last year!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a close up picture of the arch gap with the lowering springs in? I'm split between the AP shock combo or the coilovers :(

Very good looking car by the way, great colour choice (not that I'm biased) ;)