Listers Skoda - Coventry

I bought my Karoq Scout from Listers the list price with options inc heated screen, heated steering wheel, washer nozzles, adaptive cruise control, was  £35,615  mine was a pre - registered example with 10 miles recorded @ £24,990 the sales staff were faultless and kept in touch before during and after the sale, the only problem I had was they were a bit pushy with their own extended warranty  which  I took out and when I received the paperwork it turned out it was "Car Care Plan" which I had previous experience of they were useless and just worked mainly on their "wear & tear " clause so nothing would get repaired if they decided  a part was worn, a component actually has to fail eg from breakage, so I cancelled it, other than that all was well.

It remains to be seen what their servicing is like.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/04/2020 at 10:51, Delanor said:

I bought my Karoq Scout from Listers the list price with options inc heated screen, heated steering wheel, washer nozzles, adaptive cruise control, was  £35,615  mine was a pre - registered example with 10 miles recorded @ £24,990 the sales staff were faultless and kept in touch before during and after the sale, the only problem I had was they were a bit pushy with their own extended warranty  which  I took out and when I received the paperwork it turned out it was "Car Care Plan" which I had previous experience of they were useless and just worked mainly on their "wear & tear " clause so nothing would get repaired if they decided  a part was worn, a component actually has to fail eg from breakage, so I cancelled it, other than that all was well.

It remains to be seen what their servicing is like.

That is quite a deal! :thumbup: I hope Listers are okay for servicing as I intend to take my Octavia there to be serviced.

King's Heath is nearer, but I just can't be doing with trying to park at the place.

image.thumb.png.79e824173d7bd1556969c214ce982642.png

Edited by EnterName

Used Listers Skoda Coventry to service my car today.

I booked the car in for a specific time.

I arrived just before the specified time, to find ample parking with good spaces between vehicles, despite a fairly crowded car park.

I waited a few minutes to be served while another customer was served, then handed over my key and watched the car sit where I'd parked it for just over an hour after the original appointment time, until they took it into the workshop.

I had free access to toilets, hand sanitiser and a decent-quality coffee machine. The waiting environment was comfortable and pleasant.

After half an hour, my car emerged and I was charged £245.00.

Cost break down is as follows:

KCS1                    Long Life 1 Service               £108.16

K06L103801       Drain Plug                                  £4.09

K06L115562B    Filterelem                                   £9.61

KWHT000729A  Bolt * 3                                       £3.99

KG052164M1    Cleaner                                       £4.22

OIL-4                   Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W20 *5.7    £74.10

Subtotal                                                             £204.17

Total including VAT                                          £245.00 

When the parts receptionist showed me how to see how long & many miles until the next service, she noticed the service indicator had been reset incorrectly, and instigated its correction which was made quickly. (UPDATE: Turns out it was NOT set correctly.)

I was offered a wash and vacuum which I declined, and the car was not noticeably soiled during the service, bar a tiny greasy foot mark on the sill kick-plate.

The staff were friendly and professional throughout, but waiting 1 hour while my car sat doing nothing, having booked a specific time and advising them I would be waiting for the car, was frustrating.

Other than that, I have no issues with the service I received there. Oil filled to correct level and was lovely and clean when I got home.

All in all, a good experience, apart from the waiting, which in fairness was my choice.

(A quick look at the workshop showed it to be clean and well-lit.)

image.thumb.png.6a0f03eb29b959e72be6f16c9ad3bbac.png

Edited by EnterName
Update added when I found out the service indicator was reset incorrectly.

Thats the Oil filter. 

You can remove the pollen filter, give it a vacuum if not too dirty, and clean / wash around the area, or just replace the filter as it is a 2 year consumable.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Thats the Oil filter. 

You can remove the pollen filter, give it a vacuum if not too dirty, and clean / wash around the area, or just replace the filter as it is a 2 year consumable.

Thanks @e-RoottootI'll get onto that. I'll phone and ask the dealer if they cleaned the filter, and if not, I'll ask why. Maybe there's a good reason they didn't touch it.

Thanks again for raising the issue, good spot! :thumbup:

On the Fixed Price servicing menu which is for cars 3-10 years old they charge £35 for the filter.  A ridiculous price.

But your car is not 3-10 years old on a fixed servicing regime.

• 5 weeks later...

Had a bad experience with Listers Skoda Coventry when I visited last Friday, I was in the area as I had been to Listers VW Leamington to view an Octavia VRS 230 which although the Car was not upto my standards the Salesman there was superb.

I had already seen that Listers Skoda Coventry had a 69 Plate Octavia VRS 245 DSG in stock so on my way back to Sheffield called in.

From the word go I was given the impression that as I had not made an appointment and just turned up I was a massive inconvenience to the Staff there, I was given the Keys and left to look around the Car I had gone to view.

The Chap I dealt with came outside and asked me if it was a Diesel I was specifically after? I told him the Car in front of us is actually a Petrol VRS which is what I was after and straight away he began to disagree telling me I had made a mistake and that it was a Diesel. Then proceeded to get into the Car, Start the engine and revved it before getting out and saying that I was infact correct and it was a Petrol  :wondering:

We went inside and I pointed out that the price in the Screen on the Car was in fact £300 more than what the Car was advertised for on their Website and on the Approved Used Skoda Network, Again he disagreed with me and said the price in the Windscreen was correct. We got down to the numbers and he offered me an extended Warranty, Service Plan etc going forward and then asked how I was funding the purchase and I said with Cash/Card Payment from Savings.

He immediately said for me to forget the extended Warranty and Service plan as that was only available to buyers that went on Finance, Then went on to tell me that I should leave my money in the Bank and get the Car on finance which I found very rude as he had absolutely no right to tell me what I should or shouldn't do with my money.

I should have walked out at this point but I really liked the Car and decided to make a very reasonable offer which to be fair was inline with other similar age/mileage examples on the Approved Used Skoda Network and given I wasn't eligible for the Warranty/Service Plan etc I felt I should haggle a bit and at this point he went online to look at the Figures and said I was correct about the price difference Online vs in the Window and then said that I could have it for the Online Price as it was already discounted by £300 which I knew it wasn't.

He then turned his Monitor round and pointed out that 11 People where watching the advert on approved used website and that with that much interest in the Car he was confident if I didn't buy it someone else would, I told him that although 11 People are watching it those 11 People are not sat in the Showroom offering to buy the Car however I was and would have put a deposit on the Car there and then.

He wasn't interested in me as a Customer and that came across quite clearly, I stood up and walked out at this point.

Guess what, They still have not sold that Octavia a Week on!

On my way Home I was given a Courtesy call from the Salesman at Listers VW Leamington to see how I got on at Listers Skoda Coventry as I had told him my plans to view the other Octavia VRS, I told him what had happened and although it was nothing to do with him he apologised profusely and after he had come off the phone with me spoke to his area Manager about it. He then contacted me again later that Day to say they could do an internal transfer and move that Octavia VRS from Coventry to Leamington if I was interested and I could buy it from them instead but unfortunately due to the additional costs of moving the Car etc I would have to pay the full asking price so I declined.

I did however write a lengthy email to the Salesman at Listers Leamington expressing my Thanks for all his help even when it was nothing to do with him and that I would happily buy a Car from him in the future but that I will never step foot in the Coventry Dealership.  

Edited by bonelorry

You can buy a car initially on finance and take advantage of the extended warranty and service plan then after a few days, get in touch with Skoda finance to say you wish to withdraw from the agreement.  They will give you the cost of the outstanding finance (what you borrowed plus a few pounds interest), pay it off and keep the warranty and service plan.  You have a legal right to do this as I have with my current and previous Skoda.  You have to play the dealers at their own game - their arrangements not yours.

• 10 months later...

Had my service light pop up on my car recently, so phoned Listers up to discuss it.

I got through to the service dept. and spoke to a friendly but somewhat confused chap about servicing my car, who during the course of our conversation stated that the "long-life service only lasts 12 months". I repeated that back to him as a question, and he confirmed "Yes."

I asked him if that was the case, what was long life about the long-life service, and he went off to find out.

When he came back, he told me the long-life service lasts for 2 years or 20K miles, which sounds about right.

"So why's the service light come on?" I asked, remembering that the date of next service had been set last time I was there, supposedly to the long-life service.

He said "Any chance you could pop the car in?". I demurred this offer as it's a bit of a jaunt out there and speaking to him was not encouraging.

I may well be using a different Skoda dealer for my next service.

He's probably a perfectly decent bloke and may well be a competent mechanic, but Listers really shouldn't let him near customers making enquiries as he came across as pretty clueless.

Edit: Just phoned another (closer) Skoda dealer who tell me they can't turn off the servicing light as another dealer did the servicing.

This sounds like cobblers to me, but may be Skoda protocol.

Starting to get grumpy now and am considering ditching the Skoda network and going to an independent instead.

Edited by EnterName

@EnterName  Did you ask the bloke if he was a Technician or Fitter from the workshop because they do not usually answer phones at a Service Desk.

It is absolutely correct that a Main Dealership should not be resetting Service Indicators if they have not serviced a car.

That should include places that had an incompetent technician or fitter have a car showing a fixed service when the car should have gone out set for variable.

They need to learn by their mistake in not training or supervising staff.  You ask them to correct their error by changing the oil & filter for free and reset the service indicator.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@EnterName  Did you ask the bloke if he was a Technician or Fitter from the workshop because they do not usually answer phones at a Service Desk.

It is absolutely correct that a Main Dealership should not be resetting Service Indicators if they have not serviced a car.

That should include places that had an incompetent technician or fitter have a car showing a fixed service when the car should have gone out set for variable.

They need to learn by their mistake in not training or supervising staff.  You ask them to correct their error by changing the oil & filter for free and reset the service indicator.

I didn't ask who he was, but when I said can I speak to the service desk, that's who I'd gone through to.

Usually I get through to reception, and they've put me through to the service desk. (I say usually, but that's really only been a couple of times I've phoned them.)

As for asking them to correct and compensate, in theory, you're absolutely correct. In practice, it's a 40 mile round-trip and I've decided to take my car out of the Skoda dealer network.

The chap at Listers telling me a long-life service only lasts 12 months really bothered me. I'd use All-Electric in King's Heath but their almost total absence of parking bothers me. (I'm quite easily bothered, TBH. I might not complain much, but if a business bothers me, I never return.)

I've found a local independent and I'll give them a go for the coolant change. They seem to have a decent reputation, good parking and are not in the middle of nowhere relative to where I live, so I'll see how I get on with them.

As I intend to keep the car as long as possible, the full Skoda dealer service history is less of an issue for me.

• Like 1

They employ those to sit at a service desk with maybe a NVQ is Customer Services, maybe keyboard skills, but even that is doubtful often.

The training is on upselling and that is about it. 

Once they get chatty and interested in cars they are out of there maybe to sales or some other job.

No dealership wants anyone with that much of a knowledge on a Service Desk.  Do not expect the Service Manager to have any mechanical training.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1