Felicia 1.8T transplant thread

TeflonTom

100_1032.jpg

steering rack set centrally, then the wheel hub set in straight ahead position (by eye), this will make it easier to adjust toe settings(tracking) later on

Right I've been doing some digging around, what I'm looking for is a drivers side driveshaft from a mk3 passat vr6, should be roughly the right length within a few mm or so... Let the search begin. More on this thread later.

• 2 weeks later...

I've left my camera at work sadly so I've been beavering away today without taking any pictures of the progress.. Today I totally stripped down the mk3 golf tdi gear linkage that I have here, I did think about sourcing a new one but it would have been another £40 odd quid down the kermit so I though I may as well attempt to fix the one I have (mk3 golf tdi and 2.0 16v and vr6 all use the same gear linkage).. You'd be amazed at how fiddly and intricate these things are, it's a wonder they even work at all!! Basically where it had been sat in the breakers yard for a few years it was really stiff plus the 'push' down action to select reverse gear was seized in the down position, there's lots of pins, split pins, pivots, sleeves, and bushes etc and its a right royal pain up the hoop to dismantle, I guess that's why vw only sell them as a complete assmebly. The base of the unit it attached by folding the edges over the main body and then crimped over a flange at the base too which really pleased me! Any who to cut a long story short it now works again

next I turned my attention to figuring out a way of attaching it top of the centre tunnel in roughly the same position as the original gear stick, I temporarily places the centre console back in to get an idea of the position, I had to trim out a few bits of plastic and also remove the centre reinforcing bar ( riveted in) from the centre console, also had to remove the coin trays, the coin tray panel is glued to the main plastic part, a few seconds with the hot air gun on the hottest setting made the glue tacky and the thing just popped out.

next I drilled some holes in the floor, then welded some nuts centred over the holes so I can bolt the unit down, I've plonked it in along with the centre console and it is a very nice fit, the gear stick is about an inch further forward than the original stick, all I need to do is make up some sort of plastic or fibreglass piece to fill up the aperture where the coin trays were, then rig up some kind of gaiter for the gear stick.. I'm pleased because it sort of retains an original look

I'll get some pics when I get a chance. Here endeth this essay.

car032.jpg

drivers side driveshaft, based on a standard length shaft from a mk3 passat with 2e engine code, could still do with a spacer behind the inner cv joint to get the plunge more central in it's travel but it will work absolutely fine as it is. Chosen to use a passat shaft rather than a golf vr6 shaft because its a solid bar rather than a hollow tubular shaft like on the golf.. Need the space for the exhaust down pipe to fit from the turbo.

car034.jpg

Drilled 2 holes through the body, then welded an m10 nut over the hole

car036.jpg

Mk3 golf gear linkage bolted into place. when I finally fit this into place the gear select and shift cables both need to pass under that little bracket just in front so they can line up with the hole through the front firewall.

car038.jpg

modified lower front section of the centre console panel. Removed the steel strengthening bar and trimmed out some of the plastic reinforcing spars.. It does fit remarkably well though.. Still need to do a bit of fiddling with the upper portion ( the bit with the gear stick gaiter and coin trays) to get it to look nice, should be able to do something with it though.

Something which has just occurred to me which I never thought of before... Now that the gear linkage is inside the car rather than running under the body like the standard felicia one does, this means I can use a nice straight piece of exhaust tubing underneath.. The normal felicia centre section has a kink in it so that it can squeeze past the gear linkage... Epic win I think.. 3 inch pipe from the turbo right back I reckons :-D

• Like 1

Mini update: I haven't spoken much about the exhaust system at all yet.. But I've just obtained a catalytic convertor and a lambda probe from a seat Leon that was being broken up for spares by a friend (1.8t model)... Nice little freebie

• Like 1

Managed to find the bits and pieces from the scrapyard today all for £1.. it's just a little bolt and a square nut which holds the shift cable to the relay lever, something daft like £15 from vw, it's a special fit one though because it has to allow the cable to pivot..

Any who, definitely worth going to scrapyard today, I always get inspiration when I'm there, oddly enough I didn't take any tools with me at all but came back with some :wonder: I've been thinking about the clutch hydraulics again, I need some way of feeding brake fluid into the clutch master cylinder, the brake fuid reservoir from a golf gti fits perfectly onto the skoda master brake master cylinder, which is handy because it has a feed off to the side to feed fluid to the clutch master cylinder. Good times. It's a shame the one they had up at the scrapyard was broken, but at least I now know what i am looking for even if I have to resort to getting a new one from vw.

the outstanding stuff should be fairly straightforward 'fitting' tasks that even a monkey couldn't get wrong, simple stuff like fabricating the intercooler pipework, and exhaust down pipe, need to find an anti roll bar too, plumb in the cooling system, find some suitable brake calipers and then install the brake and clutch hydraulics, then the engine wiring looms can go back in

mini update; now have an anti roll bar from a diesel hatchback felicia, wanted a 22mm one from a pickup but i couldnt find one so i've settled for a 20mm one which was a £10 from the scrapyard, didnt think it was worth the expense of buying a new 22mm anti roll bar from the skoda dealer (i may regret this later on mind you :wonder:) i'm on the lookout for a pair of the connecting links and bushes

other stuff; the passenger side driveshaft will be here next week :rock: so i need to go and find some new cv joints too.

was looking at the brake calipers from a v6 mondeo and these look like they will fit if i use a spacer in between the uprights and the caliper carrier bracket. more on this later

• 3 weeks later...

car046.jpg

big thanks go to the guys at reco-prop for doing this for me, essentially it is just a vw lupo passenger side shaft which has been shortened by a process called friction welding, they cut it in half then just mechanical friction and pressure to join the two halves back together, it was 420mm long end to end before and is now 390mm long I must say I am impressed with the quality of the workmanship, you literally cannot even see where it is joined, it was quite expensive to get it done (circa £250)

car047.jpg

sorry I forgot to say, just to clarify, this shaft originally came from a lupo, but it identical in every way to the shaft from a 6n polo (same running gear etc)... As I mentioned previously with a little bit of jiggery pokery with the inner cage on the inner cv joint you can make the 100mm golf cv joint fit a polo/lupo shaft.

car048.jpg

fully assembled unit with new cv joints. its crazy to think that this driveshaft only cost £15 from a breakers yard, it's totally transformed! slightly annoyed that the boot securing clips were missing so I'll have to get some of those on Monday.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, it's been ages since I've been on here, there was about 5 things that happened in quick succession which led to me re-evaluating life, it's been a rough year this year

Anyway i thought I better update this thread with some stuff..

100_1057.jpg

intercooler plumbing all in place, it's made up from 57mm (2-1/4") elbows and bends etc

• Like 1

100_1065.jpg

2x 9" universal radiator fans, it's a bit tight in there round the front of the engine

100_1064.jpg

new brake master cylinder in place, the fluid reservoir is from a mk3 golf which gives me an extra outlet for the clutch hydraulics

100_1066.jpg

new clutch slave went in, and I renewed some of the components in the gear shift tower and relay assembly

100_1073.jpg

it was a bit of a fiddle making/finding suitable radiator hoses, but they are all in, secured the power steering pipes to the body using p clips, had a custom battery cable made up to link the starter motor and alternator. It's very busy in front of the engine.

100_1072.jpg

Ford mondeo v6 brake calipers get a quick coat of hammerite paint

100_1070.jpg

vw golf g60 brake discs, these are 280mm diameter, then it just needed little spacer between the lugs and the carrier bracket to get the offset spacing correctly centralised over the disc.

• Like 1

100_1071.jpg

it's a very nice fit using the g60 disc, won't have any trouble stopping it with these on there.

100_1074.jpg

quick mock up with the calipers, without the pads fitted to check out the clearance etc... In the background you can see the other intercooler pipe that runs along th bottom of the chassis rail.

New brake flex pipe were fitted after this, plus new brake pipes to the master cylinder but I haven't got a picture of this.

100_1078.jpg

radiator and coolant system, heater etc all joined up, evap system and purge valve all joined up, engine management wiring harnesses all refitted, power steering hoses all attached... Various hose joiners and reducers, t pieces etc of all different sizes were used and it was a bloody nightmare finding them all too.

there are a few hoses not fitted in the pic above, some of you eagle eyed folks might see them... To the rest of you it's basically just a molten mass of hoses and wires which all have no real purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

right i'm having major problems with the steering column folks, i cant remember if i mentioned it but i changed over the ends of the u/j to match up the power steering rack to the non-colapsable column frm a non-power steering column.. anyways i pressed in the cup bearings on the doodah, i've peened them over but i cant stop them from moving so i'm getting a knocking noise etc, i need to think of a better solution when i'm not feeling so rough i'll apply from proper engineered thought to it

clutch hydraulics were fairly easy to sort out

100_1082.jpg

bascially made up 2 little copper pipes, and used a rear brake hose from a seat inca van which was about 44cm long to make a flexible section to allow movement in the engine, it was far cheaper than buying the proper hose from vw

100_1083.jpg

made a slight design change to the clutch hydraulics as well, i found out that proper brake fluid hose is over £40 per meter for good quality stuff so i decided to use a motorcycle brake fluid reservoir to gravity feed the clutch master cylinder