High mileage octavia

mdon

Just replaced the glowplugs on 99 AHF at 552000 miles. The guy has a spreadsheet showing everything done to it from the day he bought it.

The only non-service items replaced were...

*battery

aux tensioner

*aux belt

ARB bushes

rear console bushes

3 window regulators

driver side window motor

*MAF

relay 109

hazard/flasher unit

*glowplugs

It doesn't use any oil, there is no smoke and as you can see from the list, it's on its original turbo.

No wheel bearings, suspension - or are these counting as service items?

:dull:

Original wheel bearings, shocks and springs. The front shocks are due to be changed at the next service, as there is slight misting from one of them. The items with a '*' hadn't actually failed but were replaced due to age/condition. The injectors have been cleaned and have had new nozzles on two occasions.

How do the interiors and body work cope with this amount of milage?

I'd love to see how well people can keep their cars :)

Both the interior and exterior are almost perfect.

His car is garaged as soon as it gets home and that obviously helps. He washes it when it is dirty and he thinks that not eating/drinking in the car is the secret to keeping the interior clean. He regularly checks for scratches/stonechips and fixes them as soon as they appear. He has no pets, no kids and no wife - that really helps :).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought mine 7 years ago when it was exactly 3 years old and had 188000 miles on the clock,it was in pristine condition having been used for chauffeuring, at that time £3500 for what was like a brand new vehicle was peanuts and I thought if i only get a couple of years out of it i will be lucky.

7 years on and and at 273000 miles I cant kill the thing no matter how much abuse I heap on it, and I do, she regularly tows massively overloaded trailers, once approaching 3 tons, never uses oil and returns 60mpg overall, on a drive between towns (not much traffic in my part of France) I get 70-72mpg.

I do my own repairs and only ever the minimum, oil and filter every 18 months - 2 years, one air filter in all that time, never a fuel filter (the one I bought was the wrong type) one cam belt, no pulleys, pumps or anything else at 250K (and it turned out to be the first replacement) at which time I eventually changed the discs as one had a hairline crack other wise they would still remain.

The clutch and flywheel was replaced when I bought it and other than the above and one set of second hand tyres everything is the original parts, battery and exhaust included. I doubt that I have spent £200 in servicing/replacement parts in 7 years and nearly 90000 miles.

So a car that i bought for next to nothing 7 years ago with stratospheric mileage turned out to be my best ever decision, i fully expect to get another few years and up to 300000 miles from her. If I had to replace her I would buy another identical one in a heartbeat.

I should add that i have the ASV mechanical injection engine.

Edited by J.R.

• 2 years later...

Vrs Nov 2005 - with 178k on the clock. Just a new rad fan and rocker box gasket in the last 2 years. Nothing in the previous history showing anything other than routine stuff. Looks like original shocks, battery clutch etc.

I use it for towing a family 1.3 tonne caravan and motorway work (lpg converted  - so the costs are similar to running a diesel)

I bought my Octavia 1.9tdi 2000 one week ago, it has 197000km on the clock and I believe the car we go a long time on the road after passed 250.000km with good service and maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

Just MOT'd mine today at 409k miles, no advisories.

She's not the prettiest but when the local cab firm offered me their 'old octavia' for £200, I couldn't say no.

No service history, didn't even bother taking the cabbie plates off for me.

So far in my hands it's had:

Front Suspension struts

wishbones

track rod arms

new front discs and rear drums serviced

Car cost £200

Parts and labour for all of the above including today's MOT take total cost of the car up to about £800. Done 5k miles since June, not missed a beat.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

my work octivia is an ex taxi. 199,600  on a 07 plate when I bought it. Its gone past 213,300 miles. Had the car a year in November.
My other octivia is on a 54 plate with 145,500 miles on it!

I can't remember the last time I owned a car with under 100k miles on the clock - I think it was a Renault 14 when I was 18, seem to remember it had 54k on the clock (in 1993). Everything since then has been North of 100k, usually 150k. High mileage has never bothered me, it usually means that most of the consumable bits have been done already, so don't need doing again for a few miles.

200500miles on mine. Just due a service.

original clutch,gearbox,engine, interior..

One new thermostat gone in it.

both front bearings changed - one before i bought it, one after.

New shocks all round and brakes. Factory springs though.

A window regulator, window switch and a rear door lock mech.

Reckon cv joint(s) may need changing, antenna crapped out - terrible radio reception, and a boot strut mount failed.

• 3 months later...

2000 1.6 AKL Petrol, 286,377 miles, original clutch, gearbox, engine, rebuilt the alternator twice, a few window regulators, other than that usual consumables brakes, timing belts etc. Have had to retire it this year with the 15 year old insurance loading it is not saleable, its a pity the car is running great has been a great workhorse.