High mileage octavia

mdon

I have a November 2001 20V Turbo 4x4 Hatchback, bought as an ex demonstrator, 7 months old with 4384 on the clock. It has done 205,000 miles now. Following a blown head gasket in 2014, it had the head skimmed, then the turbo went and needed a rebuild, followed by the cat and lambda sensor needing replacing.  The net effect of that was for it to be running better than when new.  Unless there is a catastrophic failure, I'll not be getting rid of it any time soon as I fully retired in 2016 and it is now doing not much more than my local running around mileage. Anything further and my wife wants to go in her car, unless conditions are more suited to mine.

• 4 weeks later...
On Friday, February 03, 2017 at 19:24, PGA78 said:

I thought my 2002 TDi ALH was quite high at 104000 but since joining this forum i've realised mines just broke in.  Plenty of life in the old car yet.

Not even fully broken yet :)

As for @FUBAR 's bus... well its had a very (extremely) sheltered life... he IS the 1percenter of the group :D

In sadder tones, my old baby hasnt popped up on the tradein dealers site as for sale yet.. so either hes struggling to find a rack, or (more likely) the poor lady has become an organ donor :(

Edited by mac11irl
typo ahoy!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

As for @FUBAR 's bus... well its had a very (extremely) sheltered life... he IS the 1percenter of the group :D

In sadder tones, my old baby hasnt popped up on the tradein dealers site as for sale yet.. so either hes struggling to find a rack, or (more likely) the poor lady has become an organ donor :(

When the next BIG scrappage scheme lands to get diesels off the roads and boost our car sales economy with britex, I might have to let them crush a perfectly good car :( 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

2003 20v Turbo VRS Estate, same engine, gearbox and clutch now on 224,000 miles. Back box fell off last month, is it still under warranty? Done a few sets of pads, discs and front wheel bearings along the way. Also been my tow-car when I was racing. Still goes well and I always used Halfords fully synthetic oil so it can't be too bad. Oil consumption is still pretty good considering the thrashing it gets up and down the A14. Wife, Fabia VRS driver, wants me to get rid of as it's old but the kids won't let me change the old war horse so let's see if it'll make 300K.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My '99 Octavia, 1.9tdi, 90bhp, has 297,000 miles, the engine  or box have never been stripped, and it's still doing 60mpg on a decent long run!! I'd go absolutely anywhere in it, and wouldn't cost me a thought.. I took it from Donegal to West Cork, with a detour in between, which totalled 1150 miles, and had to do it all on 2 days, and it never missed a beat!!! I've done that route twice in the past 2 months, and doing it again shortly. They are a brilliant car!!!!

• Like 1

Pfft, 300,000 miles is nothing. Recently drove my 2008 mk1 with over 600,000 miles to greece and back. While I was there I had to take a taxi which was also a Mk1 Octavia with over a million KM. The odometer reads ------ in this case. These engines will never ever die and the Octavia is a fantastic base because of it's light weight not causing stress on the motor.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

My 2003 Mk1 Octavia VRS Estate went past 234567 the other month, still original engine, turbo and gearbox. Regular fluid changes and an oil pump change while i changed the cracked sump have helped. The std exhaust cracked off so just a plain pipe wedged on at the moment, cos I'm tight I will weld it back together though :biggrin: Seeing fewer and fewer out on the open road now days. No automatic alt text available.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2017 at 21:37, mac11irl said:

Just as a mention, i passed my old lady last November, still in the road, at that stageso not an organ doner... fingers crossed the auld guy driving her that day is still minding her and paying attention to her  needs..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Midgetace said:

My 2003 Mk1 Octavia VRS Estate went past 234567 the other month, still original engine, turbo and gearbox. Regular fluid changes and an oil pump change while i changed the cracked sump have helped. The std exhaust cracked off so just a plain pipe wedged on at the moment, cos I'm tight I will weld it back together though :biggrin: Seeing fewer and fewer out on the open road now days. 

Good effort! How long have you had it?

I've had mine since 2011 when it was on 73k. Coming up to 179k now. As far as I know mine is also on the original engine, turbo, gearbox and clutch too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 208k miles on 2003 tdi elegance, engine still going strong, just had a couple of rear springs put on as one of them went 'pop'. Also had a buzzer fitted , off ebay, which activates when the lights are left on,  and you turn the ignition off ,works well

My 2003 Octavia VRS Estate is currently on 145300 miles so barely anything compared to some! It has had new front discs, pretty much every component of the front suspension system, the rear left door lock and a radiator fan replaced in the last 12 months but it flew through it's MOT yesterday no problem! Here's to many more happy miles! I hope I can get mine to 230k miles + too! :D

• 2 weeks later...

my 03 ambiente's done a HARD 207k miles and shows no signs of stopping.  Original engine and gearbox but two new clutches (got rid of the DMF) as we regularly tow up to full weight and as she gets battered off road a lot, all new shockers, suspension etc etc.  New glowplugs & battery.  Interior's pretty tatty but that puts up with kids and farm stuff so was always going to be lol 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 08/03/2017 at 11:50, Midgetace said:

2003 20v Turbo VRS Estate, same engine, gearbox and clutch now on 224,000 miles. Back box fell off last month, is it still under warranty? Done a few sets of pads, discs and front wheel bearings along the way. Also been my tow-car when I was racing. Still goes well and I always used Halfords fully synthetic oil so it can't be too bad. Oil consumption is still pretty good considering the thrashing it gets up and down the A14. Wife, Fabia VRS driver, wants me to get rid of as it's old but the kids won't let me change the old war horse so let's see if it'll make 300K.

Now at 239,000! Repaired the original back box and centre mount. Got the original Head unit out the loft and installed a 6cd changer as it had been robbed before it was auctioned! Sorted some rust on the tailgate and refusing the need to sell her as now have another big estate. We’re stuffed for room at the moment so would anyone be interested in her with a years ticket for £750? Loads of history ect.

4ACBFD65-342E-425A-95AD-424D05FB76A7.jpeg

Now at 239,000! Repaired the original back box and centre mount. Got the original Head unit out the loft and installed a 6cd changer as it had been robbed before it was auctioned! Sorted some rust on the tailgate and refusing the need to sell her as now have another big estate. We’re stuffed for room at the moment so would anyone be interested in her with a years ticket for £750? Loads of history ect.