Idling problems (?) with the Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSi

Nolhott

Hi everyone.

I have been searching the Briskoda forums to see if someone has faced the same “phenomena†as I have with my Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSi, but haven’t found any with the same or similar problems.

“Problem†description:

Normally when I cold- or warm start my car, the motor momentarily revs up to approx 2000 rpm for a second or two and the quickly settles at around 800 rpm. This behaviour is consistent regardless of outside temperature. Almost. So even with temperatures as low as -20 degrees centigrade the behaviour is the same as described above.

The exception is that with an outside temperature (engine temperature) of +15-20 degrees centigrade the behaviour changes. Then, for some reason, the rpm settles on 1200 rpm instead and on top of this the engine runs badly, somewhat like it’s only running on 3 cylinders. And standing outside the car it sounds really bad. Warmer than that, the engine behaves normally.

This goes on for almost one minute and then the rpm drops to the normal 800 rpm idling. This behaviour is also consistent within this temperature span and from time to time. I think that it’s actually the motor temperature and not the ambient temperature that triggers this behaviour since it has occurred also in colder ambient temperatures when the car has been parked long enough for the engine to cool down but not reaching ambient temperature, or when running the car for a very short time, then stopping the car and then starting it again after a short while.

What has made me concerned about it is that when I check the Maxidot for fuel consumption. The normal consumption is approx. 1.2 l/h with cold, just started engine, when idling, and 0.6 - 0.8 l/h with fully warm engine. But when this “mode†kicks in, the Maxidot indicates a fuel consumption of 3.5 l/h! That’s almost three times as much as compare to a “normal†cold start idling. What happens with all that extra petrol that is injected in to the cylinders (if the Maxidot readout is correct, that is)? And clearly, all that petrol can’t be needed to keep the revs at 1200 rpm instead of 800, can it?

From what I have heard excessive amounts of un-burnt fuel can damage the catalytic converter.

I have been in contact with the authorized dealer for Skoda here in Gothenburg and got one stupid explanation after another for this behaviour. First explanation was that the engine behaved in this way to warm up quicker. When I wasn’t satisfied with that they tried “the engine must burn away residue fuel in the system and is then behaving in this wayâ€. Then I gave up trying to get anything sensible out of them.

So, is this a normal behaviour of the 1.2 TSi or not? If so, whats the purpose? If not, what could be wrong?

BR

Stephan

Hi,

I think it is similar to what mine does, with the exception of reving to 2000 rpm when start up.

When mine starts, it revs for around 40 seconds to 1 minute at 1200 rpm then drops back to around 750 rpm, and all is fine.

My fuel consumption is not displayed when stationary, so can't check.

I think this is normal and is similar to other cars I have drive - like an automatic choke (or the equivalent).

Hi Nolhott.

I occasionally had a minor problem with surging on tick-over after starting - see my Link = HERE as have others here at Briskoda.

Since the software update the car has performed perfectly and I am noticing small improvements in MPG.............Hope this helps in some way.............................Tony

Mine, also, has a sort of "hiccup" just after a cold start.

I note this behaviour vanishes when I use 100 octane fuel (now I use it regularly as I see less indicated consumption and more -my sensation, anyway- push at low revs).

Bye

Thanks for the answers guys!

Great Yeti, thanks for the link to the thread about your own experience. It seems very similar to mine. The only difference is that in my case the surging and tick over is very consistent. I can be dead sure that if I have had my car parked all day at the office and the outside temperature is between 15 and 20 degrees centigrade outside, it will behave like this when starting. This morning when it was only 13 degrees, the engine ran normally from start.

On the other hand it might have been consistent also in your case but the right conditions only appeared twice so you couldn’t see any pattern.

Since my Yeti also has the DSG there is a good chance that the software upgrade you had also applies to my car even though mine is a MY 2010.

I probably have try to contact Skoda Cz directly to be able to get a straight answer since the tech’s here at the local skoda dealerships are completely incompetent, except when it comes to lying to the customer and finding bad excuses. :swear:

I’ll update this thread when I manage to find some more information.

/Stephan

Thanks for the answers guys!

Great Yeti, thanks for the link to the thread about your own experience. It seems very similar to mine. The only difference is that in my case the surging and tick over is very consistent. I can be dead sure that if I have had my car parked all day at the office and the outside temperature is between 15 and 20 degrees centigrade outside, it will behave like this when starting. This morning when it was only 13 degrees, the engine ran normally from start.

On the other hand it might have been consistent also in your case but the right conditions only appeared twice so you couldn’t see any pattern.

Since my Yeti also has the DSG there is a good chance that the software upgrade you had also applies to my car even though mine is a MY 2010.

I probably have try to contact Skoda Cz directly to be able to get a straight answer since the tech’s here at the local skoda dealerships are completely incompetent, except when it comes to lying to the customer and finding bad excuses. :swear:

I’ll update this thread when I manage to find some more information.

/Stephan

Hi Stephan. Yes you are probably right about the conditions and pattern. Our Yeti (1.2 SE DSG) was built on the 20th of August 2010 (Week 33) and is therefore classified as a 2011 model year. Later than yours, but still needed the software update! So unless you have already had a software update to the ECU you should benefit from it being updated. As I said in my "Link" it was only when the dealerships technician linked it back to the factory did it show that an update was available - nothing showed at all when linked into Skoda UK. Hope you get some good news soon Best wishes - Med vänliga hälsningar..............................Tony

When mine starts, it revs for around 40 seconds to 1 minute at 1200 rpm then drops back to around 750 rpm, and all is fine.

That is what I get with mine. The weather has never turned that cold since I got it but the behaviour has been constant with all temperatures I have experienced so far.

I'd expect it to be on the latest software as it was built July this year.

• 1 month later...

I also noticed similar behaviour in 1.2 TSI Octavia 2 facelift (2011). In normal cold start revs goes to cca. 900 rpm for first minute and then drops to cca. 700 rpm.

But sometimes in cold start at cca. 10 degrees revs go to cca. 1000 rpm and then it starts shaking a bit and sometimes revs go up and down for 100 rpm. When connected to VCDS and checked for missfires it shows up to few misfires in different cylinders in few seconds.

In few minutes or in few meters of driving problem goes away and engine runs smoothly again. VCDS shows no errors.

Skoda dealer has no software updates for engine this new.

• 7 months later...

My car 1.2 TSI Octavia (2011) also demonstrates this behaviour after an upgrade they did.

Normal start (in the morning) is about 1000rpm and 1,2 l/h and then drops in less than minute to 800rpm and 0,8l/h.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuAJGxHCKac

But when the outdoor temperature goes up (sunny day and car is parked outside) then it starts witn 1200rpm and 3l/h and stays there - I havent had teh patience to wait when it drops. When I drive a liitle it goes pack to normal idle rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-zXtjrjwQg

I went to dealers and they said that it is not a problem but a feature. But they could not explain why it is needed.

I would understand that this happens in cold weather but not the other way around.

Could anybody explain why it is useful?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine Fabia 2002 idles revs and shakes slightly when stationery. Was heavenly but after cleaning carburettor it got down but its still there.

I've add STP formula petrol injector system cleaning liquid to a full tank of petrol and there is another STP to boost it up but no result. Still idling ans shakes a bit.

Also, break pedal pulsing from time to time when holding it pressed in stationery mode (traffic lights). You can feel it goes up and down little bit giving you more and less resistance under a feet. Is that got anything to do with above?

It's my first car and do not want to invest much than already did to insure it.

Please, help

Regards